Wax in place of lube?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by garya1961, Jun 6, 2020.

1. garya1961

garya1961

I found years ago that wax prevents rust way better than oil. I have a P3AT that goes with me pretty much everywhere and is prone to rust but wax took care of that problem. I admit I don't clean it as often as I should but I have test fired it when it was really full of lint and crud and it worked fine.
    My cleaning routine is usually strip it, clean it, wax it, apply lube, and reassemble. This time I skipped the lube all together. I figure the wax is enough lube for a couple mags of shooting and it doesn't attract lint and dirt.
    What do you guys think of using wax instead of oil or grease?

2. 1bigK

1bigK

I use Dri-Slide on my EDC G21 for lube since it dries and leaves the moly lube behind, therefore does not attract dust and funk. I have never had any issues or malfunctions and it gets fired at least monthly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. garya1961

garya1961

If I was going to shoot a couple.boxes of ammo through it I would oil it and/or apply a dab of grease to the rails but just for a couple mags I figure wax is enough.

4. ede

ede

I use Renaissance Was for protection not lubrication.

5. garya1961

garya1961

I have been using Johnson Paste Wax mostly but also use non-abrasive car polish. I'm not exactly using wax as a lube, I'm just skipping the oil. The wax seems to slicken things up so I figure it should be good 13 rounds, the most I would shoot in a self defense situation since I only carry one extra mag.
    Sometimes I carry one of my other guns along with the P3AT and they are cleaned and lubed with oil and a dab of grease on the rails. It's just the 380 that stays in my pocket all the time that I decided to use wax only.

6. DrewBone

DrewBone

The only problem I see with using wax in lieu of the proper lubricants is that wax won't be able to withstand the temperatures generated from continuous firing and will just ooze out via the path of least resistance when heated.

Wax is fine for the protection of exposed metal, but you should always use the proper lubricant type where parts contact, slide, or in any way interact with one another, and where parts rotate upon pins - as recommended by the manufacturer and where indicated by signs of obvious wear.

7. grumpy1

grumpy1

8. hardluk1

hardluk1

I spent 31 of my 42 years in SW FL swamps hunting with some carry years , lots of rain or sweat at work building homes on the coast , last 23 in western NC . Blued firearms mostly for hunting but a few magnetic ss since '91 for carry and hunting today and zero rust . Hum !

9. garya1961

garya1961

Have you ever sat on a freshly waxed car? Wax is pretty good at reducing friction. Whether or not it will hold up as good as oil really doesn't matter in this situation since the number of rounds shot will be minimal.