Glock Talk banner

Waterproof Hiking Boots

1622 Views 50 Replies 33 Participants Last post by  cityborncountrylivin
Hey folks,
I’m looking for a pair of waterproof hiking boots. I’ve tried Keen, Danner, and Merrell but none have been waterproof after about a months use.

Does anyone have suggestions of hiking boots that are and will remain waterproof?
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

· Registered
2,357 Posts
Kenetrek, Meindl, Lowa put in a more expensive heavier duty and a lighter hiker also also id include the better Danner in there which is I believe the Crater Rim(i have this..4 years later still waterproof)

· Registered
2,049 Posts
ive been looking at irish setter trailblazers or rocky outbacks. Those shoe string loops on the merrells dont last, though the are comfy.

· Semper Paratus
31,425 Posts
I vote Lowa .
they have never let me down.
what I currently wear 3 years old no leaks.
I have black version of the military gore tex for duty wear , my wife had to order them from England they are worth it.

· NRA Life Member
13,816 Posts
As stated...boots get wet from the inside easier than from the outside. I don't care if they are Goretex lined or whatever...your feet will sweat faster than they can dry and push the sweat out....

A good polypro sock liner and some Moreno wool socks are they ticket along with a couple of dry pairs to change into as needed.

No boot made will make be/stay dry once you get water over the top of the boot.

Muck or similar plastic/neoprene boots will be perfectly water proof up to the tops of the boot but again...all that sweat will stay inside as well...

· Premium Member
4,140 Posts
I vote Lowa .
they have never let me down.
what I currently wear 3 years old no leaks.
I have black version of the military gore tex for duty wear , my wife had to order them from England they are worth it.
I can second these as well. I had a set of Lowa combat boots for work. I’m think I bought them 10 years ago or so, and they were a little over $400.00 as I recall. They are very well made boots, but a little harder to find.

· Registered
33,959 Posts
I've been happy with my Vasque. Not super expensive.

I'm not regularly trudging through inches of water but they seem to be holding up nicely.

Reactions: Gamera

· Registered
13,901 Posts
Hey folks,
I’m looking for a pair of waterproof hiking boots. I’ve tried Keen, Danner, and Merrell but none have been waterproof after about a months use.

Does anyone have suggestions of hiking boots that are and will remain waterproof?
What is your definition of hiking boots? Are you talking day hike, overnight, or weeks long hikes? Warm weather or winter?

Any boot will eventually let water in, some sooner, some later... even rubber boots eventually age and get cracks.

· Registered
119 Posts
As one suffering from Plantar Hyper Hydrosis I can tell you with certainty that moisture coming from within can be as bad, or worse than from the outside. Another option aside from Goretex and Goretex like linings on leather/cordura boots and generally non-supportive rubber boots is to get good boots and then use Goretex (or equivalent) liners. You may have to upsize by half a size but you can use multiple liners and multiple socks to keep comfortable in varied conditions.

· Registered
119 Posts
I have hiked in cowboy boots several times. It's a boot and if you wear it when walking around. It's a hiking boot. I wore a pair of goat skin boots going up hills in Tennessee before.
I like western boots as much (if not more) as anyone but they lack the lateral support for side-sloping terrain. I'm not saying it cannot be done and kudos to rustygun for doing it but they wouldn't be my first choice - comfort and style notwithstanding. That being said, like the race track saying goes, "Run what you brung."

21 - 40 of 51 Posts