Glock Talk banner

Waterproof Hiking Boots

1627 Views 50 Replies 33 Participants Last post by  cityborncountrylivin
Hey folks,
I’m looking for a pair of waterproof hiking boots. I’ve tried Keen, Danner, and Merrell but none have been waterproof after about a months use.

Does anyone have suggestions of hiking boots that are and will remain waterproof?
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Registered
104 Posts
As someone who always works outside in snow rain and mud ( forester). I wear redwings and treat with snow seal monthly. Any leather boot will have to be treated regularly. Canvas or gortex I’ve had decent luck treating with camp dry. I have not found a boot yet that does not need maintenance to stay waterproof. Exception would be muck boots or rubber lacrosse. Hope this helps some

· Venor ergo sum
"94% of mass shootings occur in gun free zones" CPRC
6,544 Posts
Kenetrek or Miendel. The ones with rubber up the sides. They’re not cheap though.

· Premium Member
4,154 Posts
Zamberlan Vioz 996 GT or Lynx. These are GoreTex lined. As stated, all leather boots need care for wet weather. A lot will depend on fit. The Zamberlans fit me like a glove the fit/finish is excellent.

· Registered
1,002 Posts
Hey folks,
I’m looking for a pair of waterproof hiking boots. I’ve tried Keen, Danner, and Merrell but none have been waterproof after about a months use.

Does anyone have suggestions of hiking boots that are and will remain waterproof?
Rubber boots is about your only option. You can do quite a bit but anything with seems will leak eventually even with good water proofing. Even Nick's boots with sew down construction will leak given enough time and wet.

· Registered
1,002 Posts
I bought these for last snow season. Good cheap and waterproof. With wool socks and a size big they lasted through a lake effect shovel season in Ohio. Still ok and I roll down the upper when I don't want to deal with it.

· Registered
9,088 Posts
Are you buying boots with a Gore-Tex liner? I have a pair of 8" uninsulated leather/Cordura lace up boots from Bass Pro (Redhead) that I bought on eBay and are still waterproof after 15 years. Pretty good boots for hiking or hunting on warmer days.

· Registered
16,937 Posts
Kenetrek, Meindl, Lowa put in a more expensive heavier duty and a lighter hiker also also id include the better Danner in there which is I believe the Crater Rim(i have this..4 years later still waterproof)

· Registered
16,937 Posts
Rubber boots is about your only option. You can do quite a bit but anything with seems will leak eventually even with good water proofing. Even Nick's boots with sew down construction will leak given enough time and wet.
this hits on the truth...after a while anything will leak for me its all about how long it will NOT leak and if it may be able to be rebuilt.. For instance ive had my Lowa Super Camps back to Germany for a rebuild/resole and came back awesome and was like $120 for a full rebuild. I dont know if gore-tex booties can be redone though so I think its just a fact after a while they will leak eventually.

· Registered
411 Posts
Hey folks,

You'll have to use a waterproofing treatment on a regular basis unless you go to rubber boots.

· Super Moderator
9,193 Posts
LaSportiva.

I have worn their waterproof boots for several years now. In the remnants of a tropical storm in Kentucky, the only thing dry for 3 days were inside LaSportiva boots. No extra treatment needed.

Reactions: shane77624

· Registered
1,002 Posts
LaSportiva.

I have worn their waterproof boots for several years now. In the remnants of a tropical storm in Kentucky, the only thing dry for 3 days were inside LaSportiva boots. No extra treatment needed.
If I'm spending that kind of money on boots I'd buy a Nick's or Whites boots. Least you can resole those if and when you start to wear them out. The la sportiva are all just cemented shoes.

· Premium Member
4,154 Posts

Buy a tin of sno-seal and good luck wearing these out.
Nicks make awesome boots. Similar to Wescos in my opinion, and I love my Wescos. I‘m not sure most people consider them hiking boots anymore.

· Registered
5,606 Posts
There are many trade-offs with hiking boots. Crossing any stream with mud and water deeper than the height of the boot will cause feet to get very wet, then the issue becomes types of socks being worn, feet can get just as wet from sweat, as well as hot...then the issue becomes types of socks being worn. Then there's the weight of the boot itself, what weight can the OP tolerate on a long hike?

I like light weight, ankle stability and protection from sharp rocks, rigid and cushioned sole for sharp rock protection and weight-bearing...good traction, light weight with breathable Gore-Tex linings to keep my feet feeling relatively cool and comfortable.

Anyone have experience with modern mil-tec boots?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts