Glock Talk banner

"Water (to cool) will damage the barrel"

9K views 70 replies 36 participants last post by  HEXE9 
#1 · (Edited)
R.o. at hot wells range sees me trying to examine my barrel for leading. I'd gotten it too hot to hold and i was looking for a rag or something to protect my fingers and I see their water fountain. He tells me it will screw up my barrel. I need to let it air cool :(
The guys got a race gun and 2 spare mags. I guess he's expecting jihadis
Edit: it looked like it had lead at the Range. I got home and sprayed some rem
oil in and a couple passes with the plastic brush and it's clean as a whistle.
Was shooting Missouri bullet Co 125 truncated cone coated over 4.5 titegroup out of my 34

Reactions: Patriot04
#3 ·
Your post is somewhat confusing, but I'd never dunk a hot barrel in cold water.

Nor would I put hot pans in cold water, power wash a hot engine, or add cold water to a hot boiler.

Sometimes a little common sense goes a long way...
It would have to be red hot to do anything. even then..nah

#7 ·
Oh yeah i also observed a young guy with a nose ring shooting an ar15 at 7 yards. When he gets a jam he determines its the ammo so he whips out a leatherman tool to remove the offending rounds from the mag.
Wtf

Reactions: G29guy06
#13 ·
In the olden days, machine gun barrels were water-cooled to keep them from warping due to overheating. Some of the Browning guns, like the M2 50 caliber and the M30 .30 caliber, and today's M60 are air-cooled, and you use a spare barrel and a welder's glove to change barrels to keep them from overheating. Sometimes in the heat of combat you don't have a chance to change barrels, or you have to keep the mortars firing when the ****s are coming thru the wire, and it was not an altogether an uncommon thing to whizz on the barrels to keep them cooled. (you see this in a scene from We Were Soldiers...)

Sometimes you do what you gotta do when the stuff goes down. But it's unlikely that you'll damage the barrel that way unless the barrel is nearly glowing with heat.

#16 ·
Oh yeah i also observed a young guy with a nose ring shooting an ar15 at 7 yards. When he gets a jam he determines its the ammo so he whips out a leatherman tool to remove the offending rounds from the mag.
Wtf
It seems to me that you're paying more attention to other people and what they'er wearing, carrying etc. instead of what you should be doing.

#17 ·
When I was a kid of 8 years old on my Uncles farm my cousin and I would race the Old 8N and Ferguson tractors around the farm running thru the creek splashing each other thought it was funny until we cracked the block on the Ferguson, Uncle Dan was not happy needless to say. I would keep a hot pad holder in my range bag, in fact I have one that came with my Osprey

#28 ·
This place charges by the gun so...

#23 ·
Ain't gonna hurt nothi'n. I live in freezing Utah, we have shot some of our AR's in -15 degree weather until they get smoking hot, then stuck them in the snow to cool off the barrels. Seen a lot of friend's do the same with AK's. Point of aim might change a little tiny bit, but no permanent damage at all. Don't worry about it, stainless bbl.'s are tough as hell. Think about a cast iron car engine going from -20f to 200F in a few minutes. No problem, no worries

#29 ·
I know it won't. Guess I should have titled this thread "dumb stuff you hear at the range"

#27 ·
As a gunsmith, I fire guns quite often until they are very hot. Water will not hurt the barrel. There is enough ductility in the metal to withstand an awful lot of heat - quench. I would not run aq gun until red hot - the recoil spring will lose temper and the barrel may lose some temper as well.

#30 ·
As hard as it seems for some of you to believe, NO it won't harm a weapon barrel. Its very common for them to use a water hose to cool bbls. when testing rock & roll mag. dumps but that's now where I get or got my steel knowledge from. It was my career as an Ironworker. BTW: Thanks for the info. tidbit about the MO. Bullet Co. there UZI. Was thinking of trying some of their bullets till my new mold comes that I haven't yet ordered while trying to figure out which one (bullet style) to order.

Those who refuse to believe that the sudden cooling of a barrel won't harm it, well go ahead and listen to your boom box or whatever while your bbl. cools or shoot another gun. Means not S&%t to me if your so sure that you know so much about metallurgy. Gotta ask though, where did you learn?

One? UZI, you stated = The guys got a race gun and 2 spare mags. I guess he's expecting jihadis = Why do you say that? Its just practice dress for real life. Whenever I go to town I always carry 2 spare mags. along with my G19. IF ever in a firefight, there's one thing worse than your weapon breaking down=Running Out of Ammo!

#32 ·
#33 ·
If you are using a Glock factory barrel with lead bullets it is a bad idea, the factory barrels do not tolerate lead. The hardness of the Glock barrel is 68, just 2 points down from diamond hardness and only copper or similar bullets should be run through a standard barrel-it will burn it up.

#34 ·
A softer metal will burn it up?.
Coated hi tek

Reactions: orangejeep06
#35 ·
The reason you are not supposed to shoot lead bullets THRU a factory glock barrel is due to the polygon rifling and the fact that glocks will fire from an open breach. The rifling will cause lead to build up in the front of the chamber. Enough build up will stop rounds from being able to fully seet in the chamber. This coupled with the fact that glocks will fire from an open breach could potentially be a recipe for disaster

#37 ·
Yeah I had an out of battery episode with soft lead in a g20 long ago. The coated bullets seems to have solved that

#38 ·
Yeah. I don't shoot non jacketed bullets primarily because I don't reload, however I believe that if you clean your gun regularly and pay close attention to the area in question you probably won't ever have an issue. I would think that it would take a fair number of rounds to cause an issue.

#39 ·
Wtf
Like we often do in the Army, when we don't use a cleaning rod or whatever else is handy?

Reactions: glockzilla10mm
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.