close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

water pitcher filter ? indigestion?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by harleyfx69, Feb 20, 2010.

1. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

at the moment i dont feel so hot, ive had indigestion and an upset stomach all day,

ive felt the need to throw up, but kept it down, and it ended up coming out the other end,

i just got one of the water jug / pitchers from brita with the water filter in it that you fill the top with water, and let it drip down into the holding tank,

i did it by the instructions, and additionally tossed to filterings worth of water to get rid of any of the filter / charcoal element,

i was feeling a little better just now, until i took a drink of this water from my nalgene bottle and my indigestion / stomach was upset again ..

is this a link ? or could stomach just be sensitive from being sick or something ?

only thing changed other than that was burrito this morning my girlfriend brought home, and that could have led to upset stomach also ..

2. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

I'm betting the stomach is just a little sensitive right now. The burrito might factor into all of this somewhere.

3. time_xx

time_xx NRA life member

Your digestive system does not react that quickly. I would look into what you consumed prior to this episode. Could be up to 12 hours prior.

4. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

the only things i ate was a couple sandwiches last night around 4-5, and i dont think anything else, these were from a restauraunt that ive never had problems before,

then the burrito that morning ,

and last night i ended up throwing up, couldnt hold it down any more ..

5. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

How old is this bottle? How long since it was not only washed, but sterilized?

These bottles, any kind of refillable bottle you drink from, can get NASTY and are a harbor for bacteria.

6. 9jeeps

9jeeps

I too have one of those water filter thingys like yours.... I've had some problems with my gastro-intestinal tract.. and have been suspecting the filtered water as well. Hmmm? This has been going on for a couple weeks now. Double Hmmmmm?

7. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

I think those pitchers are the less effective for filtering. Larger filters, with slower filtering time, are more effective. If the bottle is made of anything other than glass, then it will eventually break down. Plastic leaches formaldehyde.

Maybe though, your stomach is just bad today. If my stomach is off, drinking some water can give me a surge of upset.

8. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

my nalgene was washed recently,

and before that it was stored for a couple months open, i think i washed it both in the dishw asher and the sink,

ill try to use a bit of bleech to kill anything off in it with,

and the nalgene is not that old, and it hasnt been used a lot, but maybe 2 years tops ,

and the brita is but a week old, and only had 2 filter runs through it, other than the 2-3 i did to rinse the filter out

9. Smashy

Smashy

I've been using a filter-pitcher (it's a PuR that removes cryptosporidium and giardia as well as the usual chemicals and stuff) for three years and not had any trouble with it. Sounds like you've just got some sort of bug that's giving you an upset stomach. Eating or drinking anything while you've got a bug can make you feel better or make you feel like puking.

10. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

That is incorrect.

Symptoms of food poisoning can occur as quickly as 30 minutes.

11. flyerI

flyerI

That is definately true. Speaking from a bad experience, I did not even get up from dinner before I was sick. Still will not eat left-over rice.

I travel all over the country and many years ago I would have gastro problems while I was on the road. I finally decided that water in different cities has different things in it and my system just did not like thos things. I still can't drink tap water in Dallas. Kinda like water in Mexico but not that extreme. So now when I am on the road, which is every week, I will have only bottled water, soft drink, or a beer. That pretty much solves the problem.

My point to this is that the filter may be taking something out of the water that your system is used to and needs to stay happy. Just a thought.

12. Smashy

Smashy

Try the tap water in Germany. Hold the glass up to the light and you'll see thousands of little particles of who knows what floating around in it.

13. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

i cant stand the tap water here, very metallicy and minerally , usuallyi drink aquafina, but when im drinking 1-2 gallons a day, that gets expensive,

ive been hit before a lot sooner than 12 hours,

it might have been the chickenwings i ate, but i cooked the crapoutof those,

14. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

The bottled water fad has been debunked. If you research where the bottled water actually comes from, you'll find it isn't the same source they print on the bottle...it's tap water.

15. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

i like the aquafina water, and its supposed hydro 7 process,

my tap water here is complete crap, thus i cant drink it , it has way to high of a mineral content in it thus why i tried to get a filter to take out the taste,

16. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

No matter what bottled water it is, it's basically their tap water vs your tap water, so if theirs is better than yours then so be it but you're still paying through the nose for what is nothing more than their tap water in a bottle.

Penn & Teller did an episode on this very subject on their series called Bullsh-t! on Showtime. They went to a nice 5 star restaurant in California and chose 4 or so different couples and the fake waiter was coming out having them sample all these expensive fine bottled waters from all over the world at their table. What they didn't know was, he was filling the bottles up outside in the back of the restaurant from the water hose. Not only did they love the taste of the water, but each one he gave them he would say it was from a different part of the world and not only did they like the taste, they would even say how each one tasted better than the other (even though it was all the same water from the hose outside). :rofl:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  17. Elvis Lives

Elvis Lives

just curious. cant there be a lawsuit or something if all these bottle water companies are saying it comes form someplace but it is not?

really i want to know how come there are no lawsuits if that is true that it is tap water and not where they say it is?? this is america after all right.

18. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

heres the excerpt from the aquafina bottle,

"aquafina is purified water. It originates from public water sources and is then purified through a rigorous seven step purification process called hydro 7"

19. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

Tap water has to pass more purification tests than bottled water does...don't ask me why, but that's the way it works.

20. Elvis Lives

Elvis Lives

thats cool but not really what i was saying

THIS is what i was referring to. IF they say it's from one place and it ACTUALLY is not, how come there aren't lawsuits by now?