Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
25,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A couple weeks ago when I turned the hot water on in the kitchen sink - I thought I could hear a faint moaning sound -

Then it would go away - but about every time I turned the hot water on in the kitchen sink I would get this sound. Sometimes lasting for as long as I had the hot water on - other times it would just stop.

I Googled it - and read a few things - most of them called it a whistle - but I would say it is more like a moan or low pitched hum / vibration - HHMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I have been listening at the water heater and had my wife turn on the hot water - and sometimes it sounds like the noise is coming from the bottom of the heater - and sometimes it sounds like it is coming from the top of the heater.

A leaking valve - no -

Loose connection - no - I even tightened them all

I drained about 5 gallon of water out of the drain valve - into a bucket - it was clean clear water.

The noise never went away - but was happening less frequently - did not seem as loud.

Then it came back -

So I got out the garden hose - hooked it up to the drain and let it flush for a good 10 minutes -

Water was always totally clear - same as when I used the bucket -

The noise has almost stopped - but it still happens from time to time - no real pattern.

The heater was installed in 2013 - it is almost 7 years old - it is a typical 40 gallon gas fired water heater.

Any ideas?

I really don't want to replace it for a minor noise - but if this is the first sign of future problems than I would -

·
Registered
25,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Do you have hard water? That can often lead to premature failures in water heaters.
Not really -

Been in this house since 1987 - first heater lasted ~~12 years - second one lasted ~~14 years - this one is only 6 - almost 7.

But what would be failing that would make a moaning / humming sound?

I did just notice - when they installed the heater - they also installed a ball valve on the cold water inlet side - it was not there before -

I can't see how a ball valve would cause this noise - when I Googled it there was some comments about a bad valve - so IDK.

·
Registered
25,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is the vent clear?
What vent?

The exhaust vent?

The noise happens whether the burner is on or off - and only happens when water is running -

I moved the exhaust vent a little when I was tightening the water lines - it was hot - so it must be open.

·
Native Mainiac
22,670 Posts
What kind of heater? Electric? How many elements?

My 50 gallon unit made noises when the thermostat went and both the upper and lower elements were on.

Have you tried filling the tank with WD-40 and letting it soak for a few hours to lube things up??

·
Registered
25,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sediment in the tank?
Installed in 2013 - never flushed until this week :freak:- so yes I am not doing my part on the maintenance side -

But I almost never flushed the other heaters -

The one time I did - a few months later it started leaking - so I figured you either flush them every year - or don't flush them at all.

Reactions: larry_minn

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
What vent?

The exhaust vent?

The noise happens whether the burner is on or off - and only happens when water is running -

I moved the exhaust vent a little when I was tightening the water lines - it was hot - so it must be open.
exhaust vent. does it vent out roof or out the side of the house. leaves or nests can partially or completely block the screen around vent.

·
Registered
25,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What kind of heater? Electric? How many elements?

My 50 gallon unit made noises when the thermostat went and both the upper and lower elements were on.

Have you tried filling the tank with WD-40 and letting it soak for a few hours to lube things up??
Natural gas fired - doesn't seem related to the actual heating of the water - because noise is independent of the burner being on.

Reactions: FullClip

·
Registered
25,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
exhaust vent. does it vent out roof or out the side of the house. leaves or nests can partially or completely block the screen around vent.
Heater is on the second floor - in its own little closet -

Exhaust vent goes up through the attic and out the roof -

·
Registered
25,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is it possible that a hot water pipe - is making a humming sound - and that noise / vibration is making its way back to the heater -

So it isn't even the heater that is the problem -

I have one hot water pipe that runs in between the ceiling of the first and floor of the second - it feeds the kitchen sink -

·
Native Mainiac
22,670 Posts
Does the heater have a pressure relief valve with it's outlet piped up to a drain you can't see? Could that be lifting or leaking by? I'm stumped on this one and lacking a lot of information. If it's making noise with the burner off it's water flow related. Does it make noise when there is no flow to the faucet or any other house users??

·
" Fast is fine but, accuracy is everything"
1,221 Posts
Have you replaced the relief valve? I had the same issue with my electric water heater. I flushed the tank but it continued to make a humming type sound. Pulled both elements out and replaced both upper and lower. I also replaced the temperature relief valve. There was some scale build up in the elements but not bad. Sound stopped. I flush the tank twice a year. I open up the cold water valve while flushing out it the hose. I got nothing on a gas water heater sorry.

·
Registered
20,938 Posts
Sediment in the tank?
Maybe sentience in the tank...

The water heater here gave up the ghost with nary a whisper, it was 41 years old.

·
Registered
25,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does the heater have a pressure relief valve with it's outlet piped up to a drain you can't see? Could that be lifting or leaking by? I'm stumped on this one and lacking a lot of information. If it's making noise with the burner off it's water flow related. Does it make noise when there is no flow to the faucet or any other house users??
Pressure relief valve is on the side - I lifted it a few times and let water flow out - it seems to shut off and not leak - inside the drain or outside the valve.

It is mostly the kitchen faucet that causes the noise -

But I think I may have heard it a couple times when running hot water in the spare bathroom - but it is hard to say -

I am at the point where I think I may hear something - but then maybe not - or it is just the sound of water running - this stuff drives me crazy --

·
Native Mainiac
22,670 Posts
If the noise only comes with water flow, it could be an old globe valve has come apart internally and the plug is off the stem...but that is only of you have some pretty antique plumbing. This could cause the valve plug to rattle around inside the valve body.

·
Registered
25,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Have you replaced the relief valve? I had the same issue with my electric water heater. I flushed the tank but it continued to make a humming type sound. Pulled both elements out and replaced both upper and lower. I also replaced the temperature relief valve. There was some scale build up in the elements but not bad. Sound stopped. I flush the tank twice a year. I open up the cold water valve while flushing out it the hose. I got nothing on a gas water heater sorry.
The relief valve doesn't seem to be leaking -

Maybe if it starts humming again I could go lift the relief valve and see it that stops the noise.

Not sure about this -

But if it was humming with no hot water running - then the relief valve would have more pressure being put on it -

With the hot water running (the only time it makes a noise) the valve would have no / or very little pressure

Seems like it would hum when water was not running - but stop when water was running - if it was a bad pressure relief valve.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts