close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Water Department Worker Shot in North Philly

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glock-it-to-me, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

http://cbs3.com/local/shooting.water.department.2.1551485.html

Mar 10, 2010 11:37 pm US/Eastern
    Water Department Worker Shot In North Philly

PHILADELPHIA (CBS 3) ― A city worker was shot and wounded during a robbery Wednesday afternoon in North Philadelphia.

According to police, the water department worker was shot during a holdup at about 2 p.m. at 19th and Norris Streets.

Investigators said the employee had just left an auto repair shop when he was confronted by an armed gunman.

Police say the water department worker suffered a gunshot wound to the leg and was taken Temple University Hospital for treatment.

The suspect robbed the victim of approximately $1,000. After robbing the water department employee, police said the suspect then went into the auto repair shop and robbed the owner of $250.

Police are currently searching for the suspect who fled the scene after the shooting and robbery.

This is the second time in less than a year that a water department employee has been shot. In June, Loretta Palmer, 55, was struck in the foot by a stray bullet while working in the 700 block of West Huntingdon Street.

No arrests have been made.

2. racerford

racerford

An interesting read, because I am not sure of the significance of him being a Water Department worker. Then the closing with him being the 2nd one shot in a year. OK, why is it important to the story. It is after all in the headline, so it must be important, but they never show the importance. This is an example of poor journalism.

Was at the shop to pick up a Water Department vehicle? This it is important. Was he shot while doing his job? Then it may be important. Otherwise the story could have said "blond haired brown eyed" man shot. He is the 2nd in a year.

3. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

Here's the short version.

4. Glock-it-to-me

racerford
    Not sure of the significance? It wasn't a cop so it was not headline news. Assaulted civil servants other than cops don't get the press coverage. Media discrimination?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  5. Glock-it-to-me

Post that next time a cop gets shot and see what happens.

6. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

Wouldn't make any difference to me...you choose your occupation you accept the risks involved. Hell, if you look at the list of the jobs with the most fatalities, police officers are way low on the list.

Anyway, my short version is still pretty accurate...the words "shot" and "Philadelphia" go together like Red Beans & Rice.

7. Glock-it-to-me

Flaming an off duty cop getting shot will get you banned very quickly. I agree about Philly and "shot"

8. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

Wait a second...I didn't flame anyone. :dunno:

Also, if I do, I don't flame anyone based solely on their occupation...but if they happen to be a cop then so be it. A cop is no more important than any other person in my opinion, a human is still a human. There are plenty of nice homeless people and crooked cops.

9. Glock-it-to-me

I agree. You'll have to pardon me, I'm on prescription cough syrup for bronchitis.

10. scwine

scwine ^%(#@$^!!!!!!!

I couldn't have summed it up any better.

:thumbsup:

11. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

The easy explanation is that the story was originally posted in the "non sequitor" section of the Philly paper.

I'm sorry the person was shot while being robbed leaving an auto repair facility, and I'm sorry the other person was struck by a stray bullet... but the fact that they both worked for the water department looks more like irony than a factor in the incidents.

Not flaming or minimizing the civil servants at all... it just does not appear that either was targeted because of their line of work. They just were in the wrong place (Philly) at the wrong time (broad daylight)...

12. silentpoet

silentpoet

Didn't the criminal know it was illegal to shoot people?

13. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

You may want to check with an attorney in Philadelphia, it may not be. :whistling:

14. Glock-it-to-me

I'm just pointing out the fact that this shot civil servant did not make headline news the same as an off duty LEO would.

15. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

I agree, and I think the location is a big factor as well.

As an example a HUGE story in my local papers recently was about an electric lineman that was shot at while trying to restore power after a snowstorm. The reasons why it was a huge story were because A) in my area gun crime is not frequent, B) in my area we rarely have snow, and C) it seems counter intuitive to most people to shoot at a person who is trying to restore your power.

The test for most stories to deem it newsworthy or not so much is pretty similar to my example. Is the event unusual for the area? Were the circumstances strange? Would a "regular" person think the action was unusual?

A shooting during a robbery in an area with frequent robberies and shootings does not sound like "headline news" to me. The fact that it was a water department employee makes it a bit more newsworthy... but only because it links to the other unrelated shooting of a water department employee.

For most people it would be much more newsworthy if the victim was an off duty police officer, because it is counter intuitive to think of a law enforcement officer being the victim of street crime either on or off duty. Statistically it may not be true, but I bet most people think that a police officer is much less likely to be robbed at gunpoint.

That certainly does not make an LEO that is the victim of a crime any more important than anyone else... it just explains (hopefully) why an LEO story may be considered more newsworthy and get more coverage.

16. Adams454

Adams454

:agree:

17. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

I understand what you said, but...........

I don't think the whole "the man shot was a cop" thing is about how cops are supposed to be "better" than anyone else. It's more a sort of explanation on how if a criminal would shoot a cop, someone whom they understand may be armed and whose department will give them a nasty response mainly out of camaraderie, simply shows that the criminal will have no concern over shooting someone who usually isn't armed and is just a "regular" citizen, as many call them, who isn't usually concerned about "catching" the bad guy. I don't think it's something meant to show one's being better or more deserving of catching the bad guy, than the other is.

18. Kith

Kith

Being a citizen of philly, this is just the kind of commonplace event that caused me to get my LTCF. Granted it wasn't until recently, but better late then never.

Around here you can't expect the police to be able to protect you from this sort of thing. Please, do not think I am hating on cops, but it's too big a job for them to handle.

There's only two ways to protect the citizens here:
    -full police state (undesirable)
    -armed citizenry

At least we aren't first place winners(losers?) on homicide rates like in recent years...then again, 2010 just started...

19. racerford

racerford

Let me rephrase. I am all for having a story about someone being shot. It is newsworthy. What is not worthy of a headline is that they were a water department employee. To make it worthy of being in the headline, they would had to have been shot because they were with the water department. Mentioning the other water department employee being shot last year is also not relevant to the story, as there is no indication they were shot because they were water department employees.

It is bad writing and bad headlining. It would have been just as relevant to make the headline "Brown Haired Man Shot In North Philly". wouldn't that have made you wonder, "why did they mention her was brown haired?". Unless the story said or suggested that the man was shot because he had brown hair, it is extraneous and confusing to mention it.

They should have just mentioned he was a cat owner in the headline.