close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Watched a Walther PPS .40 fall apart at the range today..

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ndhill, Mar 7, 2010.

Tags:
  1. ndhill

ndhill ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Today while at the range. (shooting my g27 & a rented an STI 1911 .45 'LOVED IT) I had a GREAT day today with tight groups at 10 & 25 yards.

BUT, I literally watched as a Walther PPS .40 fall apart. The extractor just went flying out of the gun. As a friend of the guy shooting I quickly grabbed the parts and we grabbed our gear and went out to look at things.

He had no idea about what happened (or how to fully dismantle the gun). Somehow the "extractor retention spring" got bent which then didn't put enough pressure to keep the extractor in the slide which caused the extractor to pop out while cycling. (this was after approx. 75-100 rnds)

ALSO, as I took the gun apart I noticed considerable chipping on the locking block where the breech locks (just like on a Glock). I wish I had thought quick enough to take pics. But, have any of you heard of either of these things on a Walther before? This is CRAP!

Go ahead and get your "Friends don't let Friends shoot Walther" out of the way! haha

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  2. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Could be any number of things. Bad heat treat? WHo knows. I have a 9mm PPS with well over 1200 rounds through it and its been flawless. Smith and Wesson has excellent customer service and I bet your friend has a new gun in his hands inside of a week!

All guns are made by fallible human beings using imperfect materials on machines that operate inside of less than perfect tolerances. All gun makers squirt out a lemon from time to time... Just go look at the General Glocking forum above and see how many people are having trouble with their Glocks!

You said you shot an STI? I had a STI Ranger II that literally couldn't make it through a magazine without jamming. It went back to STI three times and every time it came back it did the same exact thing. I finally gave up and sold it at a loss...

In over 30 years of shooting, collecting and owning guns I've had guns go back to nearly every maker for problems, S&W, Colt, Springfield, Sako, Ruger, Remington (Multiple), Winchester, etc etc...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010

3. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

Glock???

4. ndhill

ndhill ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks, and yeah I know Glock does occasionally spit out a lemon too.. (recall on my G27) but still never had parts fall off of any weapon i've owned like that, so just surprising to me. And yeah the STI I shot was right on. The mag didnt feed super smooth, but it shot great every time even using $hitty brass. I had good luck I guess.

5. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

I only own 4 Glocks and frankly don't shoot them that much. I'd guess my G19 gets the most use. Can't recall ever sending one back. I think I had an issue with some magazines once and Glock replaced them no problem.

But Glock has had their issues/recalls in the past.

6. mesteve2

mesteve2

S&W makes fine revolvers.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I looked at that PPS but bought a Glock model 38 in .45gap.

PPS just not that small and the price is really steap!

7. scottlang

scottlang Millennium Member

There are only 2 types of semi auto pistols I would trust my life with, a Glock or a well made M1911.

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Glock Perfection does not have recalls. They have "send back to factory for improvements".

9. NIB

NIB

Pics or it didn't happen!

10. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

I would like to know how Walther handles this. I have been considering getting a PPS in 9mm for a while.

11. Jake Starr

Jake Starr

:rofl:

I work at a range and we have two Glock armorers on staff...they get plenty of work, believe me. Glocks are good but they are not infallible.