close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Watch question

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by CBennett, Jan 31, 2010.

1. CBennett

CBennett

I was wondering if there was a watch that was anything like the Luminox types that are SELF illuminating and dont have to have a light shined on them to be luminous. I am really getting sick of the ones that you have to shine a light on to get to "glow" in the dark. im talking at a relatively decent price also like $150 or less.

2. DRZ

DRZ

Ditto.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010

3. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

for that price gonna be hard . you can get an uzi watch tritium tube for under 100 bucks .

you can get a traser h3 6500 for under 200 .

or go high and a marathon tsar , retail 450 ,found used for around 300 . and is a damn fine watch . i own a tsar ,jsar ,sar sar - d

i would go with the traser 6500 in budget. i own one of them also , good light watch , good beater ,

go over to watchuseek .com and join up . all the answers you seek are there.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  4. devildog2067

devildog2067

Not really, no.

The physics is simple: you either have to have the luminous material charged by some source of energy, or it has to provide its own energy. The lume used by virtually every major brand of watch, currently, is charged by UV light and then releases that energy over the course of several hours.

The lume that used to be used was based on radioactive materials--radium or tritium based paint. The problem with that is that the materials are, well, radioactive. A bunch of women got cancer that literally rotted their faces off (it was a benchmark workplace safety case in the early part of last century) from straightening the bristles on the radioactive paintbrushes with their lips.

The radioactivity is the source of the energy that makes the paint (now they used tubes of tritium gas, actually) glow. So you can't make it work without the radioactive stuff. With all of the safety and legal requirements (permits, etc) that are necessary to work with those materials, few companies are willing to do so. Those that are can pretty much charge whatever they want.

The two "big ones" in the market are Marathon and Luminox, and both have some models you can find for near $150 used, although their more popular pieces are in the $400-500 range.

Additionally, just fyi, tritium has a half-life of ~12 years, so after a couple of decades it will have mostly decayed away and will stop glowing.

5. flatag

flatag Must have tacos

I love my Luminox. After 12 years it is still glowing bright. Not as bright as the day I bought it but better than any new watch you can buy. I'd recommend saving your money and get a Luminox.

BTW< Amazon has Luminox watches starting at $179.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  6. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

http://www.amazon.com/Defender-Rubber-Strap-Tritium-Watch/dp/B000TCQH0Q
    Men's Uzi® Defender Rubber Strap Tritium Watch Black
    Men's Uzi Defender Rubber Strap Watch, with genuine 25-year tritium glow! A tactical-tough Watch with self-illuminating tritium, guaranteed to deliver 25 years of consistent glow!
    List Price: $99.95
    Price: $89.96
    Sale: $69.95

http://www.lapolicegear.com/smith-and-wesson-tritium-rubber-strap-watch.html
    Smith & Wesson Tritium Soldier Watch
    Retail price: $100.99
    Our price: $59.99
    You save: $41.00
    Features
    7 Swiss-made MB Microtec Tritium Tubes

http://www.lapolicegear.com/smithandwesson.html
    (a whole page full of H3 watches)

7. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

However a watch with tritium hands/bars/whatever is about as safe as your computer keyboard as long as the vials holding the H3 are not cracked. If the face and back of the watch are intact you get more radiation from a brick wall than you do from the watch.

Yeah, I had an Army issue H3 watch that I took in to dad's work and had swabbed once a year because I was curious about this. It never showed anything hot. Dad was a Health Physicist.

8. Andy W

Andy W

If you want to go the digital route, a lot of them have a back light.

9. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Get a Marathon TSAR, fantastic watch. www.countycomm.com has em. I have the JSAR but it is superluminova, not tritium. Not in the price range you want though. There are some others like S&W and a few I can't remember that are in the $200 range. Check eBay under watches for "tritium"

10. SundevilFan

SundevilFan

I have two tritium watches. My Marathon CSAR and Ball Officer are both fantastic watches, but well above what you want to spend. My CSAR is one of my daily watches and is built like a tank. My Ball is a more dressy watch that has amazing build quality. If you're into mechanical watches, they can turn into a collection hobby really fast. If you're into "things mechanical", you may want to look into these higher end brands prior to making any purchase to see if the price-points are worth it to you.

It is my understanding that the manufacturer will replace the tritium tubes when necessary (for a fee of course).

11. CBennett

CBennett

I worked around a lot of that stuff in the military when they were deactivating certain items. so I know its good to go in that form.

12. CBennett

CBennett

yeah im thinking that also...im trying to find one on some smoking deal lol.

13. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

1952 Omega Seamaster still glows as bright as the day it was new. Radium rocks.

14. Lotus000

Lotus000

Yeah, *ASH* beat me to it (and trust me, dude KNOWS his watches, even though he's a UNC fan....:supergrin:).

Go for something with tritium lamps. I think Suunto MIGHT have some tritium-lamped watches, but don't quote me on that one.

15. Andy W

Andy W

Here is a random piece of information I learned while reading the Navy OCS forum: In the U.S. Navy, submariners cannot wear watches that use radioactive material for illumination. Supposedly, it can mess with some of the equipment on the sub.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  16. KS Trekker

KS Trekker That Guy

+1 - I have three Luminox watches and love them.

17. CBennett

CBennett

yeah im convinced I want a Luminox now im just trying to find a "great deal" :)

18. handyman

handyman

Have a SW from La Police Gear very happy with it.

19. CBennett

CBennett

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010