Glock Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is just a warning for people. You never know what can cause a problem while loading. You know how the powder cans have a little foam like cap glued to the bottle. You just rip it off and start using the powder. You don't always get it all off. Then you just put the cap back on and don't think about it. Well after many times of removing the cap (it's a 8lb jug) one piece of the leftover foam worked itself loose and fell in the powder. It then got in the measure and caused several very light charges (maybe 1 gr vs 3.1 grs). I visually caught them. I took the measure apart and found the piece of foam in the powder. Once I took it out the thing worked perfect again. I will be a lot more carefull about how I remove that thing in the future. You all be carefull out there.

·
Handgunner
2,397 Posts
Glad you caught it when you did. Could of been a much bigger pain in the neck.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Steve,

I have read this before maybe on BE? I can't believe it happened to you. Always thought it was rare and from people not being cautious.

Good argument for looking in every case before you seat that bullet.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have had the same thing happen, although the foam wasn't from the cap. It was similar, but not quite. Just something that ended up in the powder when filling at the factory. Since I weigh the drop every tenth load, I caught it quickly. Would have been a bad deal to pull more than 10.:whistling:

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Dealing with that foam cap has always been a huge dilemma for me.

Keep the cap.......Throw away the cap? :dunno:

Always a problem. Curious to know if most keep or throw away?

I have never however had to worry about a crap in my powder.

·
Registered
14,520 Posts
Steve,

Is this from an 8# jug? I found it easier to transfer powder from the 8# keg to the 1# cannister. I saved 1# cannisters of the powder I use alot. To avoid confusion, I use cannisters of the same powder.

That keeps the 8# closed more often. The 1# no longer has any foam/paper at the tip. Limits spills and (possible contamination).

It was easier with the old Hercules canisters. The pull up nipple had no foam issues. They were a bit more difficult to refill though.

·
Registered
15,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steve,

Is this from an 8# jug? I found it easier to transfer powder from the 8# keg to the 1# cannister. I saved 1# cannisters of the powder I use alot. To avoid confusion, I use cannisters of the same powder.

That keeps the 8# closed more often. The 1# no longer has any foam/paper at the tip. Limits spills and (possible contamination).

It was easier with the old Hercules canisters. The pull up nipple had no foam issues. They were a bit more difficult to refill though.
Yep, 8# jug. I don't have any 1lb jugs of solo. I use a 1lb from another brand remarked SOLO. But kinda stopped doing that. I am going to have to figure out what to do about this in the future.

·
Banned
30,493 Posts
I found a perfectly circular paper wad in a .357 mag case last week. The case was a range pickup from a brass bucket so I guess the wad was wad-cut from a target that somehow found its way back into the proper size case. I don't think it would have been a big problem, but I removed it anyway.

·
Registered
14,520 Posts
Could have been a 357 shotshell round. I use wads between the powder and the shot column, with another one on top of the shot column. They normally don't stay in the brass after it's been fired though!

·
Banned
30,493 Posts
Could have been a 357 shotshell round. I use wads between the powder and the shot column, with another one on top of the shot column. They normally don't stay in the brass after it's been fired though!
Maybe, but this was paper, like 20# bond. The shotshell wadding I've seen has been much stouter stuff. On Saturday mornings they sweep the range and dump a lot of the sweepings into the buckets with brass.

·
Banned
5,098 Posts
That would definitely cause a big problem with a progressive press - where one would be less likely to look at the powder level before seating bullets. Yeah, I know you can still check before seating, but I don't think most loaders do, since production speed is the main focus.

I know it's slower, but I charge 50-100 cases on trays so I can look at the powder level in each.

·
Registered
15,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That would definitely cause a big problem with a progressive press - where one would be less likely to look at the powder level before seating bullets. Yeah, I know you can still check before seating, but I don't think most loaders do, since production speed is the main focus.

I know it's slower, but I charge 50-100 cases on trays so I can look at the powder level in each.
Well I did catch it and I didn't have any squibs in the batch. It is harder to maintain the discipline to always look. The Dillon measure always throws a consistant charge (assuming something isn't blocking the tube). This was a postive experiance for me in the end to know my process really does work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.