Wasted Money, Time

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by fflincher, Jan 22, 2017.

1. fflincher

fflincher

http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/590-shockwave/

So, all the effort and other resources put toward an AOW with a $5.00 tax stamp; and a PGO shotgun and Shockwave Technologies kit to get a 26 inch 12 gauge pump were
    too much, too soon.

Patience would have paid off!

2. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

I think if you could find a used PG Mossberg that came from the factory that way it would still be cheaper to make one with a Raptor grip and lug than to buy a factory one.

I am hoping other companies will get on board to make short barrel smoothbore firearms. I would really like a 26" 20 ga. double barrel over/under.

3. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I haven't been keeping up with this.

Am I to understand our local FFL can order us one, like any other (long barrel) shotgun?

If so, I see my next gun. :)

Taco Junkie likes this.
  4. mac66

Yes, these are neither AOWs or SBS because they are not made from shotguns. They are considered short barrel smooth bore firearms. Barrel length does not matter as long as the OAl is not less than 26" and you can't carry it concealed.

They've always been legal with out NFA paper but Mossberg is finally offering one from the factory. If you already have a pistol grip smooth bore (shotgn) that came from the factory with a pistol grip you can make one.

PACHARY01 likes this.
  5. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Now this is definitely most interesting.

This Mossberg came from the factory with this pistol grip.
    It's 28 inches overall.

[​IMG]

The question might be,
    "Why bother to cut two inches off the barrel?"

Because I WANT TO. :)

And it looks like I could swap the "pistol grip" style for a "birds head" grip and cut the barrel off about 3 inches, duplicating the Mossberg model.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  6. mac66

Yes you could cut the barrel back, and keep the pistol grip that is already on it. Just make sure that the overall length is not less than 26". Not sure with that grip but you are probably talking 15 or 16" for the barrel. 15" is the limit without having to remove the magazine tube lug.

In order to get the barrel less than 15" inches and to make the OAL you would have to cut the barrel back behind the mag tube lug and replace it with something to hold the tube. You would also have to put the birds head grip on it to make 26" OAL. Fortunately Shockwave has those parts.

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=14

Here's more info about this...

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=88

7. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Thanks for the info.

Just what I need.......another project. :)

8. mac66

BTW, you could cut the barrel back to 9" which as short as you can go and still have the slide action work. With the barrel that short you have to add length on the other end which means a pistol grip/buffer tube and a pistol brace.

[​IMG]

A company called Black Aces has been offering one that is mag fed. It is really expensive but I suspect we'll be seeing more of these guns in the coming months.

9. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I've seen some of the "Black Aces" videos.
    Pretty cool.

10. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Yes, I just measured again.
    3 inches off the barrel will still be 1\4 inch in front of the mag tube lug.
    And with a Bird's Head grip the gun would still be about 26 1/4 inches.

I have a birds head grip somewhere but I pretty sure I had it on a Rem 870.
    As I recall, to, the BHG did not punish the wrist as much as the more vertical grips do.

11. fflincher

fflincher

I shoulda waited...

https://www.mossberg.com/category/series/specialty-series/compact-cruiser-aow/

As a side note, the not-a-shotgun 12 gauge I bought from Ageis Tactical has a 590 barrel with CHOKE THREADS!

Federal FliteControl buckshot would put too fine a point on things, but with some choke I might get an extra five or so yards distance for a torso pattern. Three flush Mossberg Carlsons chokes on order: full, extra full, turkey.

12. fflincher

fflincher

My brother-in-law and I had Mossberg Cruisers that were sold new to us as PGO.
    We left them that way, never putting a buttstock on either one.

I called Mossberg to verify PGO status before starting on these projects, and was told the records were too old to expect them to retrieve. I'll bet they'd do it for an ATF request, but they wouldn't do it for me. I decided to just pay the extra money rather than trust to records I couldn't verify. Our FFL was a cop who died on the job decades ago.

I believe an over/under would require too much room to break. I'd love to get one
    of these new Mossbergs in 20 gauge!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  13. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

The Mossberg Maverick is a short O/U shotgun but, of course, not short like we are talking about.

Although, I have measured it and if the stock could be cut off and shaped to a bird's head grip, the gun would be 26 1/2 inches.

[​IMG]

14. mac66

The
    Personally I wouldn't worry about them going after anyone. The burden is on the gov't to prove that PGS had a stock on it when it left the factory. With Mossberg bringing theirs into the light, I think we are going to see a lot more people convert their old ones.

Just an FYI, I bought a Black Aces stripped receiver for $99 back in the day. It uses Saiga mags which I already had. I bought most of the other parts and a barrel off of ebay to make my own, short barrel smooth bore.

15. Slackinoff

Slackinoff Bathed in lavender and gasoline

Very cool shotgun! Does it have chokes? I would love to take something similar skeet shooting, especially with a red dot. Looks like a lot of fun.

16. mac66

Mossberg could offer that with a pistol grip and short barrel as long as the OAL was not less than 26". One of those in 20 ga would be sweet.

There are actually a couple break open shotguns that came from the factory without stocks. Technically they are "firearms" and not shotguns and thus could have their barrels shortened. The two that come to mind are the original Snake Charmer. The other came out in the 80's and was sold as a survival gun. Basically a short stock 20 ga. It had a full length barrel but was meant to be fired like a pistol. The stock was just past the grip and couldn't be held to the shoulder. I can't remember who made it, but I had a friend who carried one on his tractor.

17. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

No chokes, just cyl bore.
    I wouldn't mind having screw in chokes.

18. mac66

BTW, here at the break open shotguns I was talking about.

Savage Kimel Camper-not sure if this came from the factory like that but or was a conversion. It is obviously not intended to be fired from the shoulder. In fact it says right on it "Do Not Fire From Shoulder" It has an 20 ga w/ 18" bbl. If it is a "firearm" and not a shotgun, the bbl could be shortened.
    [​IMG]
    Another .410 or 20ga version of a Kimel Kamper with a pistol grip. These were based a imported folding shotgun. I'm guessing this was purpose built on order with a pistol grip, i.e, not a shotgun technically. They apparently had a 19"bbl. I am curious what their OAL was.
    [​IMG]

Original Snake Charmer (or SCII) is a little .410. It is not the H&R or other so called "snake charmer" or "snake tamer" with the survival stocks. The original is obviously not intended to be fired from the shoulder. It is about 30" long with an 18" bbl. It could conceivably be shortened by 4" and still be legal.

[​IMG]

19. pgg00

pgg00

I want one. The wife told me we have to remodel more of the house first. She then went on a raging rant on how we have WAY too many guns. :director::notlistening:

20. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Ordered the 590 Shockwave today through the local gun dealer.
    As expected, the gun store's distributor didn't have any when the dealer called to order one for me.

The price was cheaper than I thought. Should be something under $500 OTD.

I may call Mossberg today to ask if they are actually shipping these guns yet.

I called. A nice lady said, No problem, they have been shipping the 590 for a good while. :)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017