WASR 10 AK-47. Question about underfolder.

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by nomorezombie, Jan 25, 2010.

1. nomorezombie

nomorezombie

I'm new to the forums, a defense contractor and local firearms instructor. Having said that I'm not going to qualify myself as any kind of gunsmith. I can put together a damn decent M4 mind you, but I'm much more of an operator.

I picked up a well cared for and occasionally shot WASR 10 Romanian AK-47 variant. Here's my question, I want to remove the underfolding stock and replace it with a standard wood or polymer fixed stock.

I'm guessing If I take that underfolder off there is going to be a fairly large size hole on each side of the receiver. Not to mention the fact that I don't even know how a fixed stock mounts to an AK.

Is this something I can do at home if I buy a synthetic stock? If not am I just restricted to the underfolding stock?

Thanks

2. theNAST1EST

theNAST1EST

(psst...wrong forum)

3. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

You'd be better off just buying a fixed stock wasr, what's not to love about an underfolder.
    Regards
    DW

4. paulbow

paulbow

+1

There's no easy way to convert it.

5. nomorezombie

nomorezombie

Sorry about the forum error, just hoping for answers, just seeing what the general community thought.

I generally don't go for stocks with moving parts and rivets. I like limiting the number of points where a firearm could fail. Any place I can comfortably remove a moving part, ultimately makes me feel like I have a more reliable firearm. I say the stock is the origin of accurate shooting, something fixed, without play makes me feel a bit more accurate.

More importantly I picked it up for 140 bucks, outright steal. Just seeing if I can put a little more into it to make it more my style. Just seeing what I can do as opposed to what a gunsmith might be required to...

6. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

I'll give you $250. :supergrin:

Leave it alone and buy another AK. Just my .02

7. CarlosC

CarlosC AK Fanatic

You should have posted in the AK section to get AK answers. But...to answer your question...

The differences between an underfolder and a fixed stock are more than what you initially noticed. Aside from the huge holes that will be left on each side, you'll also have minor holes in the back of the receiver. Fixed stock AKMs use a rear trunnion that protrudes from the back of the receiver to hold the stock. The stock is secured with two screws to the trunnion.

Fixed stock trunnion:
    [​IMG]

Note the location of the rivets to secure the rear trunnion in guns with both types of stocks...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In AKMs with underfolding stocks, that trunnion is not there. Instead a different one is used to basically seal the big hole in the back of the receiver. As such, the holes for the rivets that hold each type of trunnion in place are in different locations.

What holds a fixed stock in place? Depends on the model, but I will go with what you're familiar with, the AKM. 90% of AKMs use two screws to hold the rear stock in place. In this picture, you can see the two screws securing the stock to the trunnion.
    [​IMG]

8. CarlosC

CarlosC AK Fanatic

I forgot to answer those...No, you can't go from a fixed stock to an underfolder stock or vise-versa without some major welding, refinishing, and some parts. Synthetic stocks are made for fixed stock trunnions.