close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wasp nest in a hedge question

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Altaris, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Altaris

Altaris

And no.... kill it with fire is not an option since it is right next to the house.

I have some ~6ft hedges in the front yard right next to my windows. It is very obvious that I have a sizable red wasp nest somewhere inside of the one. I have gone out and emptied whole cans of wasp spray into the hedge. I run back inside when I see the cloud of red devils come pouring out of it. I can see them flying around inside since it is next to my office window. Since I can't actually see the nest itself, I can't spray it directly, and I can't get close enough, or disturb the hedge to find it, due to the mass of wasps that would pour out into my face.

Anyone have any tricks or tips of how to get them out of bushes?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  2. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

this ought to be good :rofl::rofl::rofl:

just cut down hedges .

seriously you are gonna have to look to find nest and go from there . dont be a wuss

borrow someones full face helmet , thick jacket ,gloves etc and go in full force and sneak a peek , its not hard .

3. rtl

rtl Robby The Guy Millennium Member

You may be in a pickle because you can't see the nest, but I've had great success with my airsoft gun. I can quickly destroy a nest from 50ft in seconds.

4. John43

John43

Use the RAID brand of wasp spray, it kills them instantly.

5. deadmanglocking

deadmanglocking

You tried looking at night with a flashlight? In my experiences with them they seem to not be as active then. Maybe just move the branches slowly and shine the light in. They should be clustered on the nest and an easy target. Just my thoughts on it..

The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.

6. jfost11

jfost11

There are various wasp and hornet sprays if you've got time to run out and get something. If they need to die immediately and you don't have any, kill it with fire is an option. A can of hair spray, Lysol, or any flammable household aerosol with a lighter in front of it for a second or two will work and the flame won't be hot enough and held long enough to ignite your house. Just test spray first. Some have a heavy mist that won't ignite very well and you'll be pissing the swarm off instead of melting their wings off.

7. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

I have a nest by my front door for a couple of years. They don't bother me and I don't bother them. Keeps everybody away LOL. Now the yellow jackets will sting just for fun. :steamed:

8. clancy

clancy

Look for them late at night or early in the morning. They will be much less active, especially if it is cool. Last week a coworker was changing a bulb in a ple light. When he pulled his hand out it was covered with wasps. IF it was a hot day he would have been in deep troubel. He never even got stung.

Are you sure it isn't a ground nest? Wasp nests are usually not that hard to find. Any good wasp spray will work.Ttry to find one that will shoot the spray out at least 20 feet. The farther you are away, the better. And buy at least 2 cans. It goes fast.

9. Altaris

Altaris

It's Texas, so it is always a hot day :supergrin:

I am positive it is not a ground nest. I can spray up around the 5-6ft height mark and they come flying out of it. I have used 3 cans so far over 3 days, and it feels like each day they have already respawned all of their loses lol.

It is supposed to get super cold on Saturday (low of 50), so maybe I just need to wait until then to launch a full assault.

10. Slackinoff

Slackinoff

Dress like you are snow skiing and find them. Don't wuss out :tongueout:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  11. nursetim

nursetim

A liquid solution of diatomaceous earth should do the trick and save the bush.

12. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk

could fog them out. many ways to go about it. but the redneck in me says throw a few tarps over the hedge and get a LOT of dry ice and water.

road flares make great death fog as well, may not be usefull in thsi situation, but works great for getting rid of gophers iin the ground. or spiders in an infested car.

13. Paul_J

Paul_J

Like mentioned already, wait for a cool morning if you can to find the location. You also have a better chance at getting all of them as they will all be home.

Mix up a big bucket of soapy water using dish washing liquid. Make sure you can "feel" the soap in the water, it should feel slick in your fingers. When it's nice and cool dump the bucket of soapy water on them. The soap prevents them from breathing and they will suffocate.

They will move slow in cool weather and you should be okay and the soap will not kill your bushes.

14. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Two cans of BrakLeen.

Spray the snot out of the wasps. They'll be dead before they hit the ground.

Repeat as necessary, as they come out of the nest.
    Saturate the nest with BrakLeen!!!!

15. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

Dealt with this a couple of Summers ago, bunch of red wasps moved into a tall photenia.

I went with my power washer loaded with dawn dish washing soap. Poked around until I found the general area...soaked it with a heavy soap mixture until I could find the nest, then switched to a high pressure tip and blew the nest apart.

They were mad, but not crazed, the soap seemed to slow them down considerably.

My dad had a bunch of smaller nests in boxwood hedges and dumped Sevin dust all over them then swatted the hedges to stir up the wasps...they came out, got dust on them, went back in, and they were gone completely in a couple of days. No drama.

16. dherloc

dherloc X-Nuc

I love this stuff...never tried it on wasps though. Would think it would not drop them instantly like RAID does though. If it gets on them, they will die eventually though.

17. srhoades

srhoades

Use those RAID smoke canisters that you add water to. They take about a minute an a half to start working. I would start it, put it underneath the hedge where you think the nest is, and in that minute and a half throw a blanket or tarp over the hedge.

18. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. Texas357

Texas357 Señor Member CLM

Wasp spray works great. Except on bees. Africanized bees just get angry.

Try soapy water on the individuals. Find the nest. Spray with wasp spray.

20. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

what we've gone with back in the olden days was a BB gun to shoot a ton of holes in it from far away, then spray it with a hose from equally far away.

Get it heavy enough to break off and fall on the ground, problem solved.