Wasn't Expecting This From Florida

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by willie_pete, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Pluto57

Pluto57

She opened back up after she was sued.

I'm not sure what you mean by a law that doesn't exist. There is absolutely a law that allows for punishing local politicians with fines and even removal from office for passing local gun control laws. It was passed in 2011 to give some teeth to the 1987 law that preempts local governments from passing gun control laws. Fried filed a court brief last year claiming the law is unconstitutional. I'm not sure how that action fits into her duties as the Ag commissioner, so she must have a personal reason for doing it. There is only one reason to fight the law - to give local government the ability to pass local gun control laws that the state will then have to challenge in court.

2. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Reduction of the minimum age law to purchase firearms was part of the bill.

Did you bother to read it?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020

3. syntaxerrorsix

Local law can't violate state constitutional law.

4. syntaxerrorsix

I'm currently in the WTF are you talking about land.

Captain Steinbrenner likes this.
  5. syntaxerrorsix

'Folks can TALK big ****. Doesn't mean it's Constitutional. Doesn't mean I can't shoot dumb asses..

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  6. Jonesee

Jonesee

Republicans control the senate, the house, and the governor. I think it will likely pass. If it doesn't this time, it never will.

As for the Department of Ag and carry permits, she just renewed mine in less than 10 days during Covid. No evidence at all they are slow walking or not issuing permits. Quite the contrary.

7. syntaxerrorsix

Really has improved the system. Not sure about her views, seems there is some discontent I cant find.

8. Featherweight

Featherweight

I like your idea but it has to be all or none. I do not want to deal with poorly trained LEO that will put my gun rights at risk because they want to make judgement call to my outdoor activities.

For instance hunting, hiking, fishing and target shooting yes open carry. Can I have my pistol open carry while I go to the gas station or the minimart to and from activities? Do I need to open carry a pistol or rifle at the sporting clays range likely not. Let’s keep concealed with reasonable exceptions and do not want to see a screwball in full battle rattle walking the side walk at the mall because it’s his right. However, I do not want to be the couple in Memphis charged for a show of force while defending their property.

9. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

To think we had 'Charles Bronson' before.

IamtheNRA likes this.
  10. Pluto57

Pluto57

Yeah, but if it hadn't passed in the first place, it wouldn't need to be changed. How did it get passed originally in our "gun loving" state?

11. Pluto57

Pluto57

Are you being intentionally obtuse? This is about Fried trying to undermine the law that preempts local governments from passing local gun control. Is it her love of the Second Amendment that made her file the court brief to try to have the 2011 law overturned? Explain why she is doing that.

ranger1968 likes this.
  12. Pluto57

Pluto57

Fried closed down all processing for CCW permits for a time. Guess she didn't figure it was essential. She was sued and then she reopened online processing and a single regional office.

Here's an article:
    https://www.nraila.org/articles/202...-nikki-fried-takes-one-step-back-over-lawsuit

Here's another article about her work trying to get part of the preemption law declared unconstitutional:
    https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/p...0191230-fzzckcj3xne7rafou2zrehqvyq-story.html

She's doing her job, but just because she managed to cut down the processing time, doesn't mean she's not anti-2nd Amendment. She obviously would like to see local governments able to pass their own gun control laws.

13. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    I'm certain of it.

Captain Steinbrenner likes this.
  14. syntaxerrorsix

I really don't see how that would be possible given 790.33 but the best I can tell she was trying to change the penalties of the law not the law itself and the whole suit started before she was in office.

15. Nutty Professor 188

Nutty Professor 188 Patrol Corporal

They don't allow concealed carry either. They don't even allow off-duty law enforcement to carry in the parks. Not even knives.

mike from st pe likes this.
  16. mike from st pe

mike from st pe

The Mouse has many of the state's legislature in their pocket.

syntaxerrorsix likes this.
  17. NoStress

NoStress

It would be a start. The people living in any state should have the same freedoms as the people living in the least restrictive states. Whether or not the people of a state get to exercise a constitutional right should not be an issue the state should have control over.

18. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Maybe not as many now. They are taking a big hit due to the WuFlu in the theme parks; don't have as much money now to spread around.

:rolleyes:

19. bubbatime

bubbatime

Boy I sure wish Florida would just approve open carry already and get it done with. I dont like open carry and never would, but it sure makes it easier to conceal carry a larger firearm and not care if it prints. Problem is, the state is shifting blue and will likely be a NJ/NY dump of leftist ideals in less than 10 years. The good gun laws that Florida has now, are less than ten years away from getting eviscerated, repealed, and thrown into the dust bin of history.

I grew up in Brevard county, have lots of friends and family there, and we are big supporters of Sheriff Wayne Ivey. He is a staunch second amendment supporter.

mike from st pe likes this.
  20. Current Resident

Current Resident

A win for Florida.

I agree, I never OC with the exception of deer hunting.

While OC is not for me, I am not going to step on anyone's rights to do so. If its legal I say go for it.

ranger1968 and mike from st pe like this.