Wasn't Expecting This From Florida

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by willie_pete, Aug 9, 2020.

1. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Well maybe a few counties like Brevard.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/l...ering-minimum-gun-purchase-age-from-21-to-18/

" Brevard County commissioners have come out in support of a change in Florida Statute to allowing gun owners in the state to openly carry their weapons, as long as they have a concealed weapons permit, News 6 partner Florida Today reports.

Commissioners voted 4-1 Tuesday night in favor of a resolution introduced by Chair Bryan Lober, urging the six-member Brevard delegation to the Florida Legislature to push for such a change in the 2021 legislative session. "

" The resolution also included an amendment, introduced by Commissioner John Tobia, to reverse the portions of the 2018 Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act that increased the minimum age to purchase firearms in Florida from 18 to 21. "

" Brevard County Sheriff Wayne Ivey in the past has gone to Tallahassee to encourage passage of open-carry legislation. During Tuesday's County Commission discussion, Lober referenced Ivey's assertions that good people with guns are important to counteract bad people with guns.

Ivey's Democratic opponent in the Nov. 3 election, Alton Edmond, issued a statement this week supporting Lober's open-carry resolution.

“I fully support this measure to allow all citizens with valid concealed weapons licenses to openly carry their firearms in conformity with the Second Amendment of the Constitution,” Edmond said. “I support empowering citizens to better protect themselves by giving them another option as to the manner in which they may choose to do so.” "

Could be a weird election cycle.

2. PBCounty

PBCounty

We had it briefly, at one time.

willie_pete likes this.

3. Jon_R

Jon_R

Good Brevard supports it but does not matter since State rules over all gun issues. I live in Brevard.

n2g and willie_pete like this.
  4. Pluto57

Pluto57

Yeah, this isn't going to happen, but I appreciate the support by the Brevard commission and Sheriff Ivey.

5. pairof44sp

pairof44sp

When I was growing up there, permitless open carry was legal and all ccw was illegal.

jeepdawg and willie_pete like this.
  6. ButCarl990

ButCarl990

I'm going to take anything Brevard says or does with an extremely large sized grain of salt.

7. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Yeah, he's supporting this because there is suddenly a whole bunch of ANTIFA and BLM idiots carrying around guns in public. He wouldn't support this otherwise.

8. willie_pete

How so ?; I grew up in Brevard for 17 years; still have two brothers there.

9. DAKA

DAKA

I have mixed feelings about open carry....can't decide if it would be good or bad
    Welcome to the WILD WEST...(Palm Beach county .... now)

10or45 likes this.
  10. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

I'd be happy with expanding the hunting and fishing clause to anything related to outdoors activities. As it is we don't have to worry about printing or someone even seeing a weapon momentarily but there are times when conceal carry isn't nearly as comfortable as OC, especially wearing a pack.

11. Captain Steinbrenner

Captain Steinbrenner

I don’t get the gun people that is afraid/against open carry.
    You don’t like it?
    Fine, don’t do it then, but don’t join forces with the enemy to backstab your fellow gun owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoStress, Joe H, NJ1911 and 6 others like this.
  12. willie_pete

Open carry seems to be legal in a lot of states. Maybe if Illinois and NY were OC legal the death rate from shootings might go down.

opencarry.png

Bus007 and mike from st pe like this.
  13. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

The streets will run red with blood.

14. 10or45

10or45 NRA Benefactor Life Member

Open carry has a time and place imo.
    It is legal to do in my state but I don't traipsing around town with an exposed firearm. In a peaceful crowd I'd conceal. In the woods or hunting: open. In a violent situation I'd prefer to avoid but if I couldn't or I had to defend, the guns would be visible. I'm a big believer in don't draw unless you are going to use it.

badge315, BigBluefish and tihash like this.
  15. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    I think it may pass, and,open carry will become a fact of life here.

Good.

NoStress, kwo, arkdweller22 and 4 others like this.
  16. ranger1968

ranger1968

Oh, yeah, you KNOW that will be the rallying cry of the people opposing it.

17. ranger1968

ranger1968

This.

Myself, I am not really a fan of open carry as a personal practice for me, but if people want to do it, they should be able to....

18. willie_pete

Funny - not ha ha funny - story about Ohio. OC is still legal in Ohio, but 15 years ago concealed carry was not. I belonged to a gun club in Ohio even though I lived in WV where CC was legal.

People in Ohio had been pushing for CC for years but never made much headway. Finally a CC group started pushing rallies where they wanted everyone to Open Carry everywhere. They had rallies on the Capitol steps were everyone was OC and of course the media was always there with prominent stories on the front page.

This went on for a while. People not in the know about Ohio OC were calling police about motorcyclists motoring down the Interstate with a gun/holster strapped on. All the drive through restaurants were calling the police when anyone drove through with a visible gun and a lot of people made sure they saw them and of course all the calls about armed people walking down the sidewalk in broad daylight.

Eventually the legislature decided it wasn't worth the hassle and all the phone calls everyone was getting about people carrying guns, so they decided it was simpler to just pass the CC law and hope most people would cover up. I am sure they got plenty of calls from police jurisdictions telling them they didn't have the staff to chase down every " man with a gun " call.

It finally passed and my gun club started offering training to members that wanted the license - almost every one did. I and some other instructors set up a class that met the Ohio requirements ( which were pretty restrictive to begin with - mandated at least 4 hours of range time ) and started offering classes to members. It was so well received we opened it up to everybody after we got some praise from a few local sheriffs.

Over that period of time before I left for Florida; I probably assisted in training over 1800 people to get their carry license. I was the concealed guy. I would be sitting in the class room when a new class started. The first thing I would do is stand up with arms spread; do a pirouette and ask people to identify where the gun was.

If someone got the location I would take it off and lay it on the table and then ask again.

My record was carrying 13 guns and having 3 never found.

It was a pretty impressive demo.

wyntrout, pAZ Ron, DAKA and 2 others like this.
  19. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

That is impressive. Now try it at the airport. :D

willie_pete likes this.
  20. mike from st pe

mike from st pe

The Mouse will not allow open carry.

Captain Steinbrenner likes this.