Washington State Trooper shot in the head on duty

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Polak, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Polak

Polak (pō'lāk')

http://www.kptv.com/news/22555570/detail.html

LONG BEACH, Wash. -- The search continued Monday morning for a man who shot a Washington State Patrol trooper in the head during a confrontation in southwest Washington.

State police said the shooter remains at large while Trooper Scott Johnson recovers at Oregon Health & Science University. The bullet remains lodged in his skull, but he was conscious and joking with doctors at the hospital.

The shooting occurred early Saturday in the small town of Long Beach.

"I got a phone call at 12:30 in the morning from my son in the hospital. And he said, 'Mom, I've been shot in the head,'" said Linda Johnson, the victim's mother. "I could not believe it. He asked me to contact his children."

Trooper Johnson was taking inventory of a car waiting to be towed on State Route 103 near 12th Street when a man walked up to him. There was a short verbal exchange between the man, a tow truck driver and Johnson before the man pulled out a small caliber handgun and fired two shots, police said.

Johnson suffered two gunshot wounds, one of them to his head, a police spokeswoman said. He was able to return fire, but it's unknown if the gunman was hit.

Paramedics rushed Johnson to Ocean Beach Hospital and then to Oregon Health & Science University in Portland.

"I just never thought I'd get that phone call," Linda Johnson said. "It's been terrible for our family -- all of us. I want this person caught before he hurts someone else."

The driver of the car being towed had been arrested by another trooper on a charge of driving while impaired. Troopers said there's no evidence that the arrest and the shooting are related.

Johnson is a 25-year veteran of Washington State Patrol. He was in stable condition Monday.

In a statement, Washington State Patrol Chief John Batiste said Johnson was "ambushed while performing what should have been a simple law enforcement task."

"I'd do anything for that guy to be caught," said Derek Johnson, the trooper's son. "I don't care how he's taking it. If anyone has info, please come forward."

The assailant is described as white, 35 to 40 years old with a light tan complexion. He is 5 feet 10 inches to 5 feet 11 inches tall and weighs about 185 to 200 pounds. He wore a dark-colored shirt and may have been wearing a knit cap.

A $26,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to an arrest and conviction.

Anyone with information on the whereabouts or identity of the shooter is asked to call one of the two tip lines below:

•Out-of-state Tip Line: 1-360-405-6650
    •Washington State Tip Line: 1-800-283-7808

2. Polak

Polak (pō'lāk')

I hope all is well.

3. Gos

Gos