Washington State/Florida Sign Reciprocity Agreement

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Gary Slider, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Gary Slider

Gary Slider

2. Jon_R

Jon_R

Nice. I wish we could get Nevada back for FL. :)

3. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

So I guess the lack of mandated training isn't such a detriment after all.

4. jhmayhem

jhmayhem

I for one am very happy.

5. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

6. rahrah12

rahrah12

Nice! That makes me happy.

7. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Only for Fl / WA residents either way, so no carry in WA for non resident FL permit holders.

Still, a good 1st step.

Thanks for the info Slider.

'Drew

8. maynardwix

maynardwix Notre Dame Fan!

That's great, I live in FL and my father still lives in WA, so it's nice that there is reciprocity between the states now. If I ever go up there to visit, I'll have to reasearch the WA state laws and see how they differ from FL.

9. Nessy

Nessy NRA Benefactor

Good news ... and all ahead full towards 50 states reciprocity please.

10. swinokur

swinokur

Gary, the FL website incorrectly has a postscript (4) next to WA indicating they only recognize resident permits. The WA AG site says nothing about it. Is the FL web site incorrect? I assume it is.

11. swinokur

swinokur

The is No mention on the WA AG site that says they don't recognize non resident permits. it says as long as a state has a recirprocity agreement with WA, they will honor that state's permit. Where do you see any indication WA won't recognize a NR FL permit other than FL web site?

12. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  13. Gary Slider

Gary Slider

swinokur,

I talked to my contact in FL who takes care of the reciprocity agreements for FL. He talked to the WA AG's office about this and they told him WA would not honor a FL non resident permit becasue FL would not honor theirs. They can do this without there being any law on the books in WA. When you sign a reciprocity you can make it whatever you want. Since FL would not honor their NR permit WA decided to do the same for just them. They will still honor a UT non resident because UT will honor theirs.

I am still checking and will talk to the WA people Monday. I am hoping for the best but this is just going to be another glitch in reciprocity that makes it difficult for people to understand.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  14. swinokur

swinokur

Well ,that certainly is not what the WA AG web site says. Next to FL it says WA residents only. No mention of FL NR not being honored. i guess that also means you need to update the WA page on your site. Doesn't it state that WA honors NR permits? Sure would be nice if they bothered to mention you could be arrested in WA for carrying on a NR FL permit not even mentioned as a restriction on their own site.

15. swinokur

swinokur

16. Gary Slider

Gary Slider

swinokur,

That is exactly what I am trying to do. I have emailed the AG of WA asking him if they won't honor a FL non resident permit to make that very plain on their website. I have the phone # to call in WA for info and am calling them Monday. I will update the Washington page when I have the correct info. But from what the People in FL are telling me WA will not honor a FL non resident permit only because FL will not honor a WA non resident permit.

I want to have the correct info and have been through this before. Some states are very free with info but others are not. I just want to report the facts and am reporting them as I have them. My FL contact is the person who takes care of the Reciprocity agreements for FL. He talked to the WA AG's office and he was told they would not honor a FL non resident. IN fact when I emailed my contact in FL he said he was expecting to hear from me after he Posted the FL page saying WA would not honor a FL non resident permit.

So we are trying to find out what is exactly going on and will try to get the WA AG to put the facts in plain english so we can understand what the law is. We have to know the law before we can obey it. The one thing I have found is those who carry firearms what to stay within the law. But we have to know what it is.

17. swinokur

swinokur

Gary, I am in no way busting your chops. You do a simply unbelievable and I am sure thankless job of trying to keep your site accurate as far as the hodge podge of state gun laws.

I see the connundrum you are now in because while WA says they honor NR permits, they have now imposed an exception to this by a reciprocity agreement (unpublished as of now for us to read) with one of the few states in the US that don't honor NR permits.

I first thought FL had made an error. now it seems like WA has screwed up. i do take exception with their ambiguous and seemingly inaccurate web info that could land one of us iin court or worse jail on a weapons charge. Someone from WA AG should have checked all this when the agreement was signed. As you noted, the reason we all check this stuff is we are trying to be law abiding.

Thank you on behalf of all of us for your web site.

Stu

18. Gary Slider

Gary Slider

Stu,

Not busting my chops. Just wanting to make sure you understand. I did believe FL made a mistake at first. But I always check these things out and to my surprise from what I have heard so far the FL Website is correct. STill hope I am wrong and it will take some more time to check this out.

As for WA page making it plain. I have found out that what is plain to me might not be plain to someone else and what is plain to someone else is not plain to me. It is tough with the written word. I do beleive if what we know now is true WA will post something to make it plainer. Most states are doing a fine job of letting us know what is going on. They just have to make them realize what they have posted doesn't covey what they want and we need.

19. Gallium

Gallium CLM

FL, on their website says

WA, on their website says:

Am I missing something? It was this way when I checked, and posted here.

'Drew

20. Gary Slider

Gary Slider

Drew,

FL law only allows them to honor resident permits. It has always been that way. WA has always honored all permits from the states they honored. It didn't matter if they were a resident or non resident of the state they honored.

WA and FL signed an agreement. Since FL would not honor a WA non resident permit from what I can find out WA told FL they would not honor their Non Resident permit. The FL's Official Reciprocity page states this. WA's Official Reciprocity Page does not say this clearly. That is what we are tying to find out. BUt from what FL officials are telling me is that WA will not honor a FL non resident permit. I am trying to make contact with WA officials but will have to wait till Monday before I can get an answer.

So until we can get something official from WA on this we just have to wait.
    Hope this helps.