Wasabi sauce from dried Wasabi-Ko horseradish powder ...

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Stainless Chili, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Stainless Chili

Stainless Chili Very concerned

So, I have this powder, and want wasabi, the green potent paste that really cleans you out and make your nose sting.

Am I SOL, or is there a trick to making the sauce?

2. KinderGlocken

KinderGlocken

3. Dandapani

Dandapani

+1, ;z ;a ;z

4. Headhunter13

Headhunter13

for a creamier sauce and a little milder mix with mayo for a lot milder mix with a lot of mayo.

5. Stainless Chili

Duh.

O.K., I'll do it. I just did pick up the hottest mustard in the shop. Guess i keep it for a different dish.

Still can't find the seaweed salad, but I'll keep trying. There are international food retailers in the area.

6. Headhunter13

Headhunter13

Stainless what part of the Keysone state are you in. I live in Downtown Lancaster

7. allanc

allanc "Inconceivable"

In a small bowl, mix powder with a small amount of water. Mix it until it is a paste. Leave it in a clump in the bowl and invert the bowl over a dish. Leave it like that for at least 10 minutes. That gives the powder time to fully rehydrate.

I can find sea weed salad here in the grocery store. It isn't as good as what I got when I lived in Hawaii.

8. Stainless Chili

I'm 70 blocks west of Front and Market, Philadelphia [65 blocks from Independence Hall].

I'll throw the bike in the back of the truck today, and drive to W. Philadelphia. From there, a nice ride into Center City and Chinatown should yield a few international food stores.

ISO - fresh [pickled?] ginger, the thin slices, pinkish.
    - Seaweed salad. The spot in Beaufort NC where I first ate it gets it in sealed baggies. I had a long talk with the chef between sets [I was down there last week gigging] and both him, and my dental hygienist, say it is quite common.

9. Headhunter13

Headhunter13

I grew up in Philly and lived there off and on ofr over 50 years (probably 44 out of 50) I know your area somewaht. I used to live down in CC 10th and Pine Sts. but aloso Mayfair, Germantown W. Mt Airy, and other areas. If I recall correctly there are some good Asian Markets down on washington ave around 10th st. Try Reading Terminal markets, Chinatown over on race street. Also if you drive there are a couple International Markets out on Cheltenhanm Ave and one over on tabor Rd. Enjoy.

10. Stainless Chili

Yep, I just checked with a buddy. He mentioned the Washington Ave slant. that is a pretty bleak area for a pleasurable pedal. ;f

I'll try Race Street. I did a six week job there a few years ago, and explored it pretty well. I know a few hole-in-the-wall shops selling live fish, that have a surprising array of condiments.

The Taco House is still there, on Pine Street. Still pretty crappy, but filling. Prices have gone up, a bit.

11. Headhunter13

Headhunter13

used to be Tippy's Taco's 4 for 2 dollars. I bartended at Dirty Franks and the Pine Street beverage Room. Is Layla's/Sabra's still there on the corner of 13th & Pine 1.50 for a falafel sandwich

12. Stainless Chili

I'll bicycle by in a couple hours. There is a Mediterranian restaurant around that corner; the name was never noted.

Dirty Frank's is still the same.

13. Headhunter13

Headhunter13

That's the place. somethings never change. maybe i will ride into there soon.