Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What it says. AFAIK the 3913 was alloy frame, always. The original Mod 39 started as steel frame, but they're not so common and a larger gun anyway. Did S&W ever make the compact size (3913 size) in a steel frame, single stack?

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
Had a 39-2. Don't believe it was a steel frame. Great gun - a friend still has it. :cheers:

·
Registered
311 Posts
The 3906 was all steel but it’s larger than a 3913.
Right. S&W 3rd Gen numbering reserved the first two digits for the model number. The last two digits were features. Typically the third digit was dedicated to frame size and / or action type, and the 4th digit was typically for the frame material.

3913 was model 39. 1 designated a compact frame, traditional double action first shot /single action after, where 0 would be full sized version. The 3 was for an aluminum alloy frame and the 6 was for steel.

But there were also exceptions to the numbering scheme too.

·
Registered
30,102 Posts
I WISH they'd offered an all-stainless version of the single stack compact 9.

If they had, and if they'd followed their numbering system, an all-stainless version of the 3913 would've been a 3916. (In theory)

Of course, the 3rd gen aluminum-framed double stack 9 with a stainless steel slide was given the model number 6906, instead of 6903, and some have argued it ought to have been a 6913.

However, the "69" already meant it was a compact, so a 3rd digit of a "1" wasn't needed. They used "6" for the stainless slide. Presumably because they'd done so with the earlier 669 w/stainless slide (putting the slide steel as the first digit). Thus the 6904 w/carbon slide, like the earlier 469 had a "4" denoting carbon slide.

Of course, that meant the 3rd gen 4-digit single stack compact 9's got "3" for stainless (instead of the logical "6"), and "4" for carbon (which made perfect sense) ... and then the total departure of 908/908S for the lower cost versions with carbon & stainless slides but aluminum frames.

MY wish list for the model they never made (or admitted having made at least a prototype) would've been a 3916TSW.

Or, at least a 3913TSW/SC (Scandium aluminum frame). They could've called it whatever they wanted, as long as it had a SC frame and was built to the TSW specs. :)

I sometimes wondered if they had a motorized dart board hidden in some back room that they occasionally used to devise some of the model numbers, just to keep all of us guessing. o_O

Every now and again when I'd ask someone from the factory about some model number, and what sense the model numbering made for some of them, it almost sounded like they thought it was cute that I was expecting it to make sense all the time. :p

·
Registered
16,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I WISH they'd offered an all-stainless version of the single stack compact 9.

If they had, and if they'd followed their numbering system, an all-stainless version of the 3913 would've been a 3916. (In theory)

Of course, the 3rd gen aluminum-framed double stack 9 with a stainless steel slide was given the model number 6906, instead of 6903, and some have argued it ought to have been a 6913.

However, the "69" already meant it was a compact, so a 3rd digit of a "1" wasn't needed. They used "6" for the stainless slide. Presumably because they'd done so with the earlier 669 w/stainless slide (putting the slide steel as the first digit). Thus the 6904 w/carbon slide, like the earlier 469 had a "4" denoting carbon slide.

Of course, that meant the 3rd gen 4-digit single stack compact 9's got "3" for stainless (instead of the logical "6"), and "4" for carbon (which made perfect sense) ... and then the total departure of 908/908S for the lower cost versions with carbon & stainless slides but aluminum frames.

MY wish list for the model they never made (or admitted having made at least a prototype) would've been a 3916TSW.

Or, at least a 3913TSW/SC (Scandium aluminum frame). They could've called it whatever they wanted, as long as it had a SC frame and was built to the TSW specs. :)

I sometimes wondered if they had a motorized dart board hidden in some back room that they occasionally used to devise some of the model numbers, just to keep all of us guessing. o_O

Every now and again when I'd ask someone from the factory about some model number, and what sense the model numbering made for some of them, it almost sounded like they thought it was cute that I was expecting it to make sense all the time. :p

Thank you. So, it never happened. More's the pity.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
No they never made a 3913,or 3914 in steel. The closest would be the performance center 356 tsw compact. Basic 6906 but a Performance Center Gun in .356TSW caliber. But back in the day you could have ordered a fitted 9mm barrel. Mags interchanged with the 2 calibers. They are rare with fitted 9mm barrels today. I have a 9mm fitted barrel with mine.

·
Registered
30,102 Posts
Thank you. So, it never happened. More's the pity.
I agree. In retrospect, it makes me regret not having ordered a 3906 before they went out of production. Another half an inch in length and height, and another round of mag capacity. Close enough, but I wasn't ordering full-size 3rd gen's at that time. Sigh.

Reactions: Grabbrass

·
Registered
311 Posts
Those are PC guns and a hell of a lot nicer than a 3913 or any of the standard 3rd Gen Smiths.
I agree. I had a 3913NL for a few years because that was one of the smallest and lightest 9mm autos you could get at the time for CCW in the early 1990s. A whole lot has changed since then for the much, much better.

I’d take a Sig P938, Kimber Micro 9, or Springfield 911 any day over the 3913. It was a nice gun given what else was available, but I don’t miss it at all.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Man, when I was young and poor I lusted over all the 3000 4000 5000 6000 4500 and 1000 Smiths. I really need to start watching GunBroker for a mint one to go up for sale.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts