Was I dreaming or just not paying attention: NJ law circumvented?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by ARP, Jan 19, 2020.

1. ARP

ARP

In my travels, I listen to Patriot channel on XM radio. At some point recently and I am not sure when or where I heard it, but I "thought" I heard that quietly a gun is being sold in NJ? NY?that circumvents one of their law restrictions on owning an AR type weapon as it falls under the title as "other". I heard it described as a short barreled AR without an adjustable stock.

I don't live there, but I travel thru there on occasion and sort of laugh at all their stupid restrictive laws thinking why would anyone tolerate this nonsense.

If anyone could help me with this, whether i was dreaming or just completely uninformed.

2. Walter Bishop

Walter Bishop

Most of the Assault Weapon laws specify which features make a rifle, pistol, or shotgun an assault weapon. But there is another category defined as a "firearm." This typically has never had a stock so it isn't a rifle or shotgun and is over 26 inches long so it is not an NFA regulated AOW. The Mossberg shockwave is an example. People have cleverly figured out they can make an AR with most of the banned features that is a "firearm" and not a rifle or pistol so it isn't banned under state assault weapon laws. Now of course the states can just add a new definition category in their assault weapon ban to cover "firearms" so any gain will likely be short lived.

Cambo likes this.

3. ARP

ARP

If I am to believe this to be true/legal/correct, I found a YT video of a gun that meets the ATF standard of other, and it is stamped on the receiver. It is a Troy M4 type gun. It has a SB Tactical brace, it is not a rifle, pistol, or SBR. It is an "other" and therefore legal to own in NJ.

So it has a brace, pistol grip, forward grip, and a screw on type muzzle brake, fold down sights and a stamped receiver that says other along with a letter from the manufacturer and ATF stating that the gun meets the requirements of the law.

Cambo likes this.
  4. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Not NY, although Cuomo is try to say the sky is falling because only the receiver is treated like a gun, and people can legally order the other parts. The issue he doesn't seem to understand is the assembly still needs to follow state law. Yet he's trying to scare his base and felliw anti-gunners by saying it is too easy to build an illegal gun. His "solution" is to ban gun parts, put serial numbers on them, make it illegal to order them, force all buying if parts to go through FFL.

Not sure what you heard, and I bet leftist media gets it wrong, but could be related to this issue.

5. ARP

ARP

I think I found what I thought I heard.

I found a YT video that shows what I thought I heard about, so I was correct in what I heard. It applies to NJ. Where I got a bit confused, was once upon a time I was at the Buffalo Cabelas. And they had that fuggly excuse of an AR on display. I was not even allowed to touch it. So that was whee I was thinking I was hearing about a drastic change in what NY could have, and that was wrong, but I also thought that it may have been NJ and that is correct.

Now, I am unsure of how much paperwork you need to obtain this "other" firearm in NJ, but it can be bought and it looks like a normal AR.

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  6. Cambo

Cambo

AR Others are becoming very popular in NJ. The miracle is that the Scumocrat controlled government hasn't found out about them - yet.

I was very close to buying a Troy 9mm one, but I don't want to take the loss of they are declared illegal. This state doesn't grandfather anything.

7. NJ1911

NJ1911

There are several from different manufacturers; Troy, Modern Materiel, etc. They feature an 11.5" to 12.5" barrel, a pistol brace (SBA3) and a vertical grip. Overall length is greater than 26" end of barrel threads to end of receiver extension, so with the brace and vertical grip, intended to be shot 2 handed, they are a "firearm" and approved by the NJSP. If you want the 11.5" barrel you need a Vltor A5 extension to meet the length requirement usually unless you pin/weld. Since they are "firearms", flash hiders are also allowed.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  8. DrewBone

DrewBone

Nothing is being circumvented; in this case, it is definition alone that precludes such an object from being associated with those items that are currently deemed illegal or restricted by law.