Was gonna do the June shooting challenge but...

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by megawatt, Jun 6, 2020.

1. megawatt

megawatt Electron maker

Last night I read about the June Challenge to shoot .22lr at 10 yards at 9 each 1” targets. Great t thought, I have a slab side 22/45 RDS and another 22/45 iron sight I packed up last night. It’s been 102F+ this week and I knew the high was gonn drop to 85F for the weekend. Good time to get out.

This morning I check the weather and temp is 73F but with 25 mph winds all day and gust to 45mph. Yeah, no precision shooting today but I wanna go shoot in the desert.

Plan B, make it a wheel gun day. .357 mag to deal with the wind. S&W no Hillary hole 686 and Gemini custom .357 ported ruger SP101. Target 20 yards away, howling wind, I had to use Jeep as wind break. Didn’t bother with any .38spl ammo. Those boxes stayed in the ammo bag. All shots were 158gr FMJ of various manufacture.

Hitting a 2.5” target very possible today even with stupid High winds. Sometimes it’s nice to get away from the semi auto guns. Good news is I didn’t have to spend time collecting brass all over the desert today. Not a great day, but a good day not to be at work for a change.

2. Bradley T

Bradley T

The obstacle to my rimfire shooting is there is no .22 lr anywhere in town. Dang Walmart emptied out all their cases and other retailers aren't getting any resupply. Out of luck where .22 lr is concerned. Pheasant and quail loads are all you can get. Everything's gone.

3. jr24

jr24

I was going to do it today too but I really wanted to work on two rifles, plus my CCW and I knew the range would be full and my time was limited.

Awww, who am I kidding. I didn't want to search my totes and boxes for .22 I'm sure I have somewhere in the basement.