Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that John is making a new lineup of videos, which lately seems focused on selling items from Sportsmans guide to boogaloo wannabes and mall ninjas. Good for him, I am glad that he is finding his brand and earning a living that supports his family. That is after all, the American dream.

However, as a viewer of his content it kind of makes me sad, because in his early days John always seemed to focus on training the mind, and talking about philosophy and God, especially when he was debating the role of force and balance it with Christianity.

I had always hoped that he would focus on creating a message board that encouraged those kinds of topics, along with the normal shooting and outdoorsmen conversations, since I always thought his initial focus was to encourage like minded men to come together and hang out/discuss the idea of a fighting thinker.

I realize that firearms instructors attract internet trolls like crazy, so I figured that if he did create a message board, it would be a paid site, similar to the Imwithroscoe snub nosed site.

This new branding, it just seems to loose my interest, since I don't care about adding a dozen mags and 3 pistols and a long gun to my truck. I have to worry enough about fitting all my medical gear, extra work cloths, and PPE needed for my job, rather than worrying about some gear whoring boogaloo fantasy.

·
Registered
14,319 Posts
I see that John is making a new lineup of videos, which lately seems focused on selling items from Sportsmans guide to boogaloo wannabes and mall ninjas. Good for him, I am glad that he is finding his brand and earning a living that supports his family. That is after all, the American dream.

However, as a viewer of his content it kind of makes me sad, because in his early days John always seemed to focus on training the mind, and talking about philosophy and God, especially when he was debating the role of force and balance it with Christianity.

I had always hoped that he would focus on creating a message board that encouraged those kinds of topics, along with the normal shooting and outdoorsmen conversations, since I always thought his initial focus was to encourage like minded men to come together and hang out/discuss the idea of a fighting thinker.

I realize that firearms instructors attract internet trolls like crazy, so I figured that if he did create a message board, it would be a paid site, similar to the Imwithroscoe snub nosed site.

This new branding, it just seems to loose my interest, since I don't care about adding a dozen mags and 3 pistols and a long gun to my truck. I have to worry enough about fitting all my medical gear, extra work cloths, and PPE needed for my job, rather than worrying about some gear whoring boogaloo fantasy.
Interesting.
I see a God fearing warrior who loves this country and is genuinely an expert on combat, tactics and gear.

I don't understand why folks get so bent out of shape when a "good" guy and a professional monetizes his hard earned reputation to build a life for himself and his family.

Do we expect our good guy warriors to be fed by God and the good will of giving everything away for free.

If someone like John can make a buck, good for him. Better him than a bunch of lesser skilled lunatics out there.

·
Come on man!!
16,613 Posts

I totally agree. His content quality is suffering greatly now.

When he left Telluric Group and went out on his own he had to make adjustments to his content to pay the bills, which is understandable. I get it and he's said it in numerous videos, videos about gear and guns get the views while videos about religion, philosophy, and other more cerebral topics do not do as well.

·
Come on man!!
16,613 Posts
Interesting.
I see a God fearing warrior who loves this country and is genuinely an expert on combat, tactics and gear.

I don't understand why folks get so bent out of shape when a "good" guy and a professional monetizes his hard earned reputation to build a life for himself and his family.

Do we expect our good guy warriors to be fed by God and the good will of giving everything away for free.

If someone like John can make a buck, good for him. Better him than a bunch of lesser skilled lunatics out there.
I don't think the OP was necessarily bent out of shape, he's just pointing out his displeasure with some of the newer content and that comes with the territory when you put anything on the internet.

Ask me how I know, just from this forum alone...

·
Registered
14,319 Posts
I don't think the OP was necessarily bent out of shape, he's just pointing out his displeasure with some of the newer content and that comes with the territory when you put anything on the internet.

Ask me how I know, just from this forum alone...
Fair enough......

It's not the first time I've heard that recent JL observation.......I should have made it clear I was not singling out the OP.
Thanks.

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
Yeah, I subscribed after watching a video he posted on the horror of killing babies and analogizing it the evil of slavery. I did eventually lose interest in his firearm content, though, and unsubbed. Seems like a very good guy. But I lost interest. I get a little turned off by anything uber tactical and macho.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I've watched a couple of his videos and can't say that I really saw anything in them that I really liked.

I do like MY Shadow Systems MR918s though :2gun:

Reactions: -JCN-

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dale is right, I am absolutely not criticizing John nor am I implying that he is a sell-out. It is his image and he is free to do whatever he wants with it, and with a wife and two kids, the more he makes the better provider he can be. I commend that.

I was just saying, that he often addresses his group of followers, his poets, and I have always been hoping that he would devote some part of his content towards creating a forum for the poets to get together and interact, discuss God, fatherhood, philosophy, etc.

And like I noted, I wouldn't even care if it was a pay-to-use forum like the snub nose forum I'm with Roscoe.

But rather than focusing on the poets and thinkers, he seems to be currently more focused on gear, which I get it... it pays the bills. However, I don't have much use for gear reviews and am left to look elsewhere for warrior-thinker type topics.

·
Oh, for a muse of fire
9,062 Posts
I have no idea who this guy John is.

·
Registered
32 Posts
John takes a strong stance in a time when that is not popular. He may not have a perfect record in all of our respective minds but he’s certainly one of the better people out there and in my humble opinion worth following. Long time follower and even subscribed to his new network. WPS is an idea more than a “thing”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 39 Posts