close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Warning

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by JMS, May 11, 2007.

  1. JMS

    JMS 02

    Joined:
    May 6, 2007
    Messages:
    15,922
    Likes Received:
    7,498
    I was at the Vet's yesterday visiting my toy poodle, Enzo, who is having a bout with pancreatitis. Thank G-d he's doing better. Anywho, while I was waiting for them to get him from the back I noticed a young couple outside spending time with their dog. I quickly realized that they were there with the dog waiting for it to pass on. Needless to say it was emotional to watch and afterwards I went over and gave my condolences. I asked what had happened and they said that they gave there dog a few grapes. I asked if anything else was wrong, was the dog old, etc. They said the dog was 2 years old and in perfect health, they didn't realize grapes were toxic (nor did I). Though my 3 poodles love fruits, human foods, etc after seeing this they are ONLY getting dog food, whether they like it or not. Please pass this link below to anyone you know that has a dog.

    http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc_poisonsafe
     
  2. pjrocco

    pjrocco Rock

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2006
    Messages:
    818
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    Items to avoid and Reasons to avoid



    Alcoholic beverages Can cause intoxication, coma, and death.

    Baby food Can contain onion powder, which can be toxic to dogs. (Please see onion below.) Can also result in nutritional deficiencies, if fed in large amounts.

    Bones from fish, poultry, or other meat source Can cause obstruction or eslaceration of the digestive system.

    Cat food Generally too high in protein and fats.

    Chocolate, coffee, tea, and other caffeine Contain caffeine, theobromine, or theophylline, which can be toxic and affect the heart and nervous systems. Cocoa powder and cooking chocolate are the most toxic forms of chocolate. A 10-kilogram dog can be seriously affected if it eats a quarter of a 250gm packet of cocoa powder or half of a 250gm block of cooking chocolate. These forms of chocolate contain ten times more theobromine than milk chocolate. Thus, a chocolate mud cake could be a real health risk for a small dog. Even licking a substantial part of the chocolate icing from a cake can make a dog unwell.


    Citrus oil extracts Can cause vomiting.

    Fat trimmings Can cause pancreatitis.

    Grapes and raisins Contain an unknown toxin, which can damage the kidneys.

    Hops Unknown compound causes panting, increased heart rate, elevated temperature, seizures, and death.

    Human vitamin supplements containing iron Can damage the lining of the digestive system and be toxic to the other organs including the liver and kidneys.

    Large amounts of liver Can cause Vitamin A toxicity, which affects muscles and bones.

    Macadamia nuts Contain an unknown toxin, which can affect the digestive and nervous systems and muscle.

    Marijuana Can depress the nervous system, cause vomiting, and changes in the heart rate.

    Milk and other dairy products Some adult dogs and cats do not have sufficient amounts of the enzyme lactase, which breaks down the lactose in milk. This can result in diarrhea. Lactose-free milk products are available for pets.

    Moldy or spoiled food, garbage Can contain multiple toxins causing vomiting and diarrhea and can also affect other organs.

    Mushrooms Can contain toxins, which may affect multiple systems in the body, cause shock, and result in death.

    Onions and garlic (raw, cooked, or powder) Contain sulfoxides and disulfides, which can damage red blood cells and cause anemia. Cats are more susceptible than dogs. Garlic is less toxic than onions.

    Persimmons Seeds can cause intestinal obstruction and enteritis.

    Pits from peaches and plums Can cause obstruction of the digestive tract.

    Potato, rhubarb, and tomato leaves; potato and tomato stems Contain oxalates, which can affect the digestive, nervous, and urinary systems. This is more of a problem in livestock.

    Raw fish Can result in a thiamine (a B vitamin) deficiency leading to loss of appetite, seizures, and in severe cases, death. More common if raw fish is fed regularly.

    Salt If eaten in large quantities it may lead to electrolyte imbalances.

    String Can become trapped in the digestive system; called a "string foreign body."

    Sugary foods Can lead to obesity, dental problems, and possibly diabetes mellitus.

    Table scraps (in large amounts) Table scraps are not nutritionally balanced. They should never be more than 10% of the diet. Fat should be trimmed from meat; bones should not be fed.

    Tobacco Contains nicotine, which affects the digestive and nervous systems. Can result in rapid heart beat, collapse, coma, and death.

    Yeast dough Can expand and produce gas in the digestive system, causing pain and possible rupture of the stomach or intestines.



    White chocolate: 200 ounces per pound of body weight. It takes 250 pounds of white chocolate to cause signs of poisoning in a 20-pound dog, 125 pounds for a 10-pound dog.

    Milk chocolate: 1 ounce per pound of body weight. Approximately one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to a 20-pound dog; one-half pound for a 10-pound dog. The average chocolate bar contains 2 to 3 ounces of milk chocolate. It would take 2-3 candy bars to poison a 10 pound dog. Semi-sweet chocolate has a similar toxic level.

    Sweet cocoa: 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight. One-third of a pound of sweet cocoa is toxic to a 20-pound dog; 1/6 pound for a 10-pound dog.

    Baking chocolate: 0.1 ounce per pound body weight. Two one-ounce squares of bakers' chocolate is toxic to a 20-pound dog; one ounce for a 10-pound dog.
     

  3. lpo

    lpo what?!?!?!?!?

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,036
    Likes Received:
    8
    Location:
    Mississippi
    This is good stuff to know.

    Our pug Harley swollowed one of my roomates adderol(sp?) pills. Freaked us out bad. went to the vet ( who was nice enough to stay 2 hours late waitin' on us) and thankfully he was in no big danger. She said that was one of the less toxic ADD meds for a dog to get a hold of. That night was the first night he learnd to jump on the couch as well as the night he learned that eventually he could catch his tail.Made him alittle hyper.
     
  4. ATL Peach Girl

    ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2002
    Messages:
    6,738
    Likes Received:
    41
    Location:
    The Peach State!!
    OMG JMS!!!

    Does anyone know what it is in the grapes that is toxic for dogs??? That saddens me and I just learned something VERY valuable should I ever get a dog again.

    There are many things that are deadly and toxic to cats as well, many of on that list.........



    :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
     
  5. BobRicks

    BobRicks

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2001
    Messages:
    708
    Likes Received:
    93
    Location:
    NE Texas
    This is why my two dogs eat nothing but Iams dry dog food, and get dog treats when they go outside and do their business. We never have fed them table scraps or anything. Every now and then when I eat a bowl of ice cream, I let them lick the bowl clean after I am finished, but since I am trying to lose weight, that doesn't happen very often now!
     
  6. orangedawg19

    orangedawg19

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2006
    Messages:
    402
    Likes Received:
    0
    Great list, pjrocco, thank you very much, I'm forwarding this to some people I know that should have this.