close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Warn, big pics! Busted cherry on the dirt - Box Canyon outside of Apache Junction, AZ

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by fnfalman, Jun 6, 2006.

1. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Of course, how can one be in Arizona without a gratuitous gun pic?

[​IMG]

5. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

It was an impromtu ride, otherwise I would have contacted you. I gotta give it to you dirt dogs. That was the most exhaustive ride I've ever done. I only dropped the bike once (crash cage comes in handy) when I tried to negotiate through a bunch of good size rocks and lost a footing. It doesn't help when you're tippy toeing on one foot.

The 950 Adventure was so well behaved. I doubt that I could fare as well on the BMW R1200GS. The KTM balances superbly and I was able to crawl very slowly down some rocky descends. A few times my throttle hand got bumped and received some unanticipated throttle inputs - it made for a few rather interesting tines when one lunges downhill.

I can't wait until the 990 Adventure comes over and get my grubby hands on one. When I laid down the 950 ADV, the gas started to leak out. It's a good thing that the bike had the charcoal vapor collector cannister removed. Or otherwise we'll be sitting there with a flooded bike.

I was so tired and sweat drenched that I think I drank about a gallon of water. Camelbak came into its own that day for me.

All in all, a good time.

[​IMG]

7. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Pretty sweet. The adventure is a good do-all setup. But if plan to do some pure dirt riding, get a purpose built off-roader like a WR450. Trust me, you will feel the weight difference. The motocrossers are faster than all get-out, but I prefer electric start, a headlight, etc. for general off-roading so the WR would be my choice.

BTW welcome to the dirt. A lot is different, but a lot is the same also.

Pretty liberating not being forced to follow a road isn't it? :supergrin:

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I could hardly strap on luggages and go a few hundred miles with a WR450 or any of those types of quasi-off roaders. And I refuse to buy/own a truck (my UNIMOG doesn't count). So the 990 Adventure is it for me, whenever it gets here:soap:

And yes, it's fun as hell to go off road, even the power slides are fun. I even did the corner thing with the foot stuck out. :supergrin:

9. Glock_36

Glock_36 Jason

I'm jealous we don't have anything like that here in Indiana.
    Beautiful country.
    Is that a GPS Unit on the one bike?
    John

10. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Thus, the "good do-all" comment. ;)

I didn't know if you were going to get REALLY into it or what (as in, buying a truck or trailer and using a full-time offroader for taht sort of riding).

The Adventure is nice in that it will let you ride there, have fun, and ride back.

11. Rosey

Rosey

Nice. I've ridden there. Did you make it all the way to Martinez mine? Neat place...

BTW, big props for handling that big bike in that terrain. In some of those really rocky sections I felt like my XR650R was too oversized.

The abandon mine:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

I've been there, there's some heavy machinery that was left behind. It's pretty cool to look at, once you get past the litter.

BTW, FALman... working that big KTM over the rocks mustve been a real good workout. I suggest a trailer for your BMW, just big enough for a KTM 300XC... ;)

13. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

Box Canyon seems like a pretty technical ride for a first foray offroad. I've run it a few times in a truck and it takes some know-how. On a bike...

14. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

We didn't make it to the mine. We didn't even know that there was a mine out there. We just went out to the general area and let the trails take us to wherever it takes us and kind of keep an eye on the GPS to make sure that we wouldn't get lost.

And yes, handling that big KTM was a mutha. I was sore for two days afterward. It's time to start exercising again.

15. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Reminds me of the first day I had my Raptor 660. I couldn't bend my legs for the next 2 days. That thing was a workout.