close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

War of the Rings problem

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by williamN, Apr 14, 2006.

1. williamN

williamN

I purchased a Dell 3000 last year for my son and specifically told the sales person I wanted it to be able to play every game on the market. My son hasn't had a problem until now. War of the rings is "jerky" .

When loading the game this message on the screen came up T & L support:no

What is T&L and where do I buy it???

TIA!!!

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

As far as I know the Dell 3000 doesn't have an AGP slot.A good Nvidia PCI(normal PCI not pci-x not pci-e) may fix the problem.Here's the info from Intel on the graphics I think are included in in Dell 3000.

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-011910.htm

Intel® graphics products do not have hardware support for T&L. In most games, transform and lighting calculations can be performed on the processor with acceptable performance. A small number of games that specifically check for hardware T&L support may fail to run.

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

T&L=Transform and Lighting

4. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

If I remember correctly this is (Transform and Lighting) support. I find it very hard to believe that if you purchased this system last year it wouldn't support this though :(

What kind of graphics card does it have? What kind of settings are it set to...such as Antialiasing, Antistropic, and the usual quality-->performance settings? The "jerky" you describe can usually be eliminated by tweaking these settings. Should be able to get most of them in the game ;)

You may want to update your graphics card drivers as well which can help performance. It will most likely be either ATI or Nvidia.Nvidia Website ATI website Just be sure to uninstall all the old drivers and restart before you install the new ones. When is promps you that new hardware has been detected (your graphics card) cancel those popups and then doubleclick the drivers you downloaded.

Good luck and I am sure some other guys will have more ideas I have forgotten :)

5. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

Lol see DC already beat me to the punch :laughabove:

I am sorry, I was assuming this system was not onboard Intel graphics :( That guy that sold it to you should be shot:supergrin:

6. williamN

williamN

It has the intergrated intel extreme graphics 2 & intergrated intel pro 100M PCI NIC card

7. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

8. williamN

williamN

9. Altaris

Altaris

The others beat me to it. I would never sell a 3000 or 3100(our current model) to someone that said they wanted to play any type of 3D game. It makes me sad when I hear of fellow sales people saying stupid things like that.

The 3100 does not have an AGP or PCIe slot....so you would need just a plain PCI card in it.

Like RaiderRodney said. Give me that guys name, I will go find his desk and shoot him hehe :supergrin:

10. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Personally, I DO play 3D games, so I would elect to sell off the HP and build a gaming machine around a decent processor.

But that's just me...YMMV!

11. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

I gotta agree with what's been said. Onboard is the worst when it comes to graphics. I can't recomend Dell computers anymore, too many machines have been sanfu'd including mine and a friend's. I can't recomend building one since I do not even know if you would want to. I built my own a couple months ago, I researched parts for about a month then bought it and had it together in about 3 hours. I wish you luck.

12. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

If you're fixed on keeping the PC, and want to have the best shot at playing some of the higher end games, you buy this, or maybe this. The 6200 will absolutely BURY the rest of the PCI market. It's still taking your Kia to Taladega, but it's the best option if you don't want to trade up on the whole system.

13. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

The normal response I give is, "Your old PC is losing value every day; clean it up well and put an ad in the paper now!"

They do, and use the proceeds to buy real components.

By the way, we have walked folks through many a build here. If you try and fail, we can help get you up and running.

Trust me...I could spend an hour typing and still not tell you all the reasons why a machine that is locally built from top-flight components is at the other end of the spectrum from what you can expect from limping along with an OEM desktop.

And, worst of all, if you buy a desktop as stout as mine from Alienware or somewhere like that, you'll pay 3X what I did--and you still won't have as good a machine as mine.

Why not? Because I built mine myself, and I can fix anything that can possibly go wrong with it. And that's a real fine feeling!

Good luck.

14. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

Fast is right, these guys helped me out when I was deciding whether or not to buy or build. It's not that difficult, the worst is getting parts and checking compatability.