GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Do what makes you happy.

Even if you decide to move tomorrow, realistically, that won't happen. it will take some time , and it won't happen overnight. You will always have second thoughts, so be prepared for those voices that will try to talk you out of your decision.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Example: I really love San Francisco and really want to move there. I just cannot do the politics, too many homeless and the cost continues to go up. It is just not the same now compared to 3-4 years ago. I like Florida, especially around Naples. Then again the cost of living is too much for what I want. Cost of living is something to really consider.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Wait for a while. Your perspective might change after you have finished the grieving process. A year or more, if necessary, is not that much time to make a life changing decision. Sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Ultimately up to you and what you think will work for you.
Their are womens in both states. What do you like to do for recreation and leisure and which state offers more of that is what I would look at. I left Fl after retiring and returned to the PNW cause I like hiking in the mountains, fishing, clamming and just driving around.
Fl was great weather wise, the fishing was outstanding, and political wise (where I was) but I left Fl on long weekends or vacations to go hiking and just sightseeing as, for me, you can only look at so many pine trees and no elevation changes.
I wish you luck!!
I do miss Georgia in that regard.

·
You local friendly Skynet dealer
13,625 Posts
Follow your heart. We never know how much the good lord will tolerate before calling us back. Don't have any regrets when that day comes.

Reactions: pizza_pablo

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
I don't think a guy should change plans or aspirations for a woman. They come and go, based on what they want out of life. You should do the same.

Moreover, an older man that is free of "liabilities" is an asset in the dating community. There are 50 women, looking for a second chance at life, for every man in your age group.

Don't make any decisions based on the fear of being lonely.

V.

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
There are federal jobs in Florida that would get you close, even if is not Florida's north or central east coast. Both of my daughters work for the Army on the Redstone Arsenal here. Dad had a few buddies who worked civil service at Eglin, AFB, near Fort Walton Beach, after retiring from the Air Force. If you take your time looking and getting things settled at your current location, you could be moving next year.

·
NRA Life Member
28,421 Posts
Any chance of getting transferred to FL ? When I worked for .gov in WV, a job came open in Daytona; I jumped on it. Worked the new job while I built my house.
Once everything was ready I retired.

.gov even paid me to move.

:D

·
USN Retired
7,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
The experts on grieving say don't make any major life decisions in the first year of being widowed.
I would say put this in the back of your mind and revisit in six months.
Wait for a while. Your perspective might change after you have finished the grieving process. A year or more, if necessary, is not that much time to make a life changing decision. Sorry for your loss.
That is what many advise.
The one year mark is 3 months from now.

Please do not come to Florida, we are full-up.
Oh, I'm coming! It's just a matter of when

Any chance of getting transferred to FL ? When I worked for .gov in WV, a job came open in Daytona; I jumped on it. Worked the new job while I built my house.
Once everything was ready I retired.

.gov even paid me to move.

:D
Hopefully!

I knew I could count on the GT braintrust to advise and point out things I hadn't thought of! This place is awesome! Thank you, too all!

I should have made this a poll!
I'll have to tally the old fashioned way.

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
Sorry to hear about your wife. Cancer sucks. Lost both my parents to lung cancer and one of my best friends to brain cancer.

If you want to move to Florida, then come on down! Winter is coming!

·
USN Retired
7,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
If you want to move to Florida move to Florida if you're looking for love Florida is the manufacturing plant and distribution center of single women over 55.
I'M CONVINCED!

Reactions: 9jeeps and pgg00

·
Registered
30,231 Posts
Condolences for your loss, move to Florida and maybe look into getting some grief counseling, even if you don’t think you need it, consider it preventive maintenance.

·
rip "Bud"
8,883 Posts
If my wife passes, I'll be out of here inside of two months. WA state is a beautiful place, no doubt. But I've lived in other beautiful places.

Reactions: pizza_pablo
21 - 40 of 104 Posts