close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wanting to go on first BOAR hunt, looking for good place

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Ford, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Ford

Ford

A friend and I are starting to plan a trip to go on a Feral Hog/Wild Boar hunt. We plan on using handguns. Can anyone recommend a place to go. I am in Missouri so would like something in the Mid-West or Mid-South.
    Also what is the smallest caliber pistol that you would use to bring one down? I am going to use a 10mm. Friend thinks he may want to try it with .357sig.

Thanks

Oh, it does not need to be a guided hunt. May be preffered though. Some places that I have looked at on the internet allow the option.

Thanks again.

2. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

357 Sig is made for using 125gr jacketed hollowpoints. Too light for the big hogs.

Better to use a long barreled (6" to 8 3/4") .357 Magnum revolver using heavier hard cast 158gr bullets for good penetration.

3. noway

noway

I agreed on the 357sig thing. If I was going to use a 357 anything , it would be in the 357 m-a-g-n-u-m .

as far as hog hunts, you are in the KC MO area right? So you should be in prime area for hog hunting in SW MO and if you get out of MO you have all of Arkansas and the big state of OK to hunt in. Plenty of hogs and plenty of land.

You're best bet is to find a hunt club or do some search with google, a trip down to the a gun store might give you a lead on the where to hunt at. Just try to get out their before it get's to cold.
    ;f

4. motorhome

motorhome

You guys want to go on a wild hog hunt contact this guy. This is in Charleston, Texas. He will have you a hog in two or three hours. He charges 100.00. No hog no pay he told me. You can kill with knife, spear, or gun. By the way he carries a Glock 40cal. I met this guy at a camp ground. He says that Texas is loaded with wild Boar. He had a live one in the back of his pick-up. He is a retired school teacher and does this on the side. phone# 903-395-2162 Good luck.

5. noway

noway

{He had a live one in the back of his pick-up.}

BTW: Most states have strict rules on transporting live hogs ( wild or domestic ) and I also believe that most counties in TX restrict domestic hog transportation due to introduction of various dieases into domestic hogs farms.

So I question why he is carrying a live hog ( persuming it is a Wild Hog ) in his PU. Even florida makes it an offense to transport or being in possesion of a "live" wild hog.

6. motorhome

motorhome

I do not know about laws in transporting a live wild boar. All I know is what I saw. If you live in the Big City I could understand the law. This is country where I am talking about. If you have a problem with what I have said make the phone call.
    This was a wild boar I saw. And it scared the hell out of my wife.
    By the way this guys card also says to take alive also.
    Also while at this campground a fellow camper was going the next morning with a home made bow. Like I said this guy carries a Glock 40Cal. Good luck.

7. JD HHI 6092

JD HHI 6092

Try Show-Me-Safaris in Licking, Missouri. I shot this porker there last April. [​IMG]

8. Pistol Packin' Pete

Pistol Packin' Pete

Nice pig. Did you poke him a bit far back a couple of times? I hope you didn't ruin that ham(s).

9. JD HHI 6092

JD HHI 6092

Those are exit holes. Took 3 shots to bring this porker down. 2 from a 375JDJ and 1 from a 44 mag.