close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wanted: Master Class Shooters.

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Norske, May 14, 2007.

1. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

Sources in low places at GSSF reveal that the number of Master class shooters shooting in the various Divisions at the Anderson, South Carolina GSSF match were as follows:

Master Stock: 14
    Subcompact: 7
    Competition: 9
    Major Sub: 6

and, for the heck of it, Unlimited: 9

In other words, under the new prize rules, the 14 Masters who did in fact show up missed the upgrade of their $100 1st prizes to a Pistol in Subcompact by 3 entries, in MajorSub by 4 entries, and in Competition by ONE measly entry.

Not to mention that the Master Subcompact and Competition entries DO give them additional "shots" at the MatchMeister award as well?

I'm wondering if some of the "Masters" are unaware of the new division entry and prize rule changes and are missing some opportunities as a result?

:headscratch:

2. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i did my part. i don't know why anyone wouldn't shoot all the classes they could after going ot the trouble to make it to a match.

3. pnhurst

pnhurst

I do not think the word is out yet that the new prize rules really are great change for master class shooters. They can now enter 5 divisions and can win in 5 divisions. This of course works against Amateur shooters who really only have a chance of winning in 1 division now, although they can shoot in 6.

4. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

You are wrong.

Only two divisions are now open only to Amateurs. Civilian and Guardian. This is unchanged.

Up until this year, Competition and Subcompact could only be shot by Amateurs as well.

Up until this year, Masters could only shoot in Master Stock (which is the Master's equivilent of Civilian or Guardian) MajorSub, or Unlimited.

This year Masters can now shoot in Subcomact and Competition as well.

What you are probably not understanding is that within the various divsions, the Masters and Amateurs are shooting for different prize SETS.

The following assumes the match exceeds 175 entries so a full set of 1st/2nd/3rd-type awards is being awarded.

In Civilian, Guardian, Competition, Subcompact the AMATEURS are shooting for a Gun for 1st, $100 for 2nd, and $75 for 3rd. That is UNCHANGED from last year except that the cash awards have been INCREASED by $25. Masters are NOT ELIGIBLE for those awards, just like last year.

In MasterStock and Unlimited, the prizes are again a Gun for 1st, $100 for 2nd, and $75 for 3rd again just like last year except for the dollar amounts. EITHER Masters OR Amateurs can take any of those awards. All an Amateur has to do is outshoot all the Masters! Again, that is completely unchanged from last year except for the $s.

In MajorSub through last year, both the Masters and the Amateurs were shooting for their OWN RESPECTIVE $100 cash award. That is still the case.

Now, the biggest change is that the Masters can now shoot in Subcompact and Competition. However as I said above, they are NOT shooting for the Gun/$100/$75 prize set that the Amateurs are. Just like it has been in MajorSub, the Masters are shooting for a $100 cash 1st prize award.

New for this year is the "Upgrade" clause that applies to those four $100 1st prizes; the 1st place Master Awards in Subcompact, Competition, and Major Sub and the Amateur award in Major Sub.

Now, if the respective number of competitors in any of those categories equals 10 entries, the $100 Cash award gets upgraded to a Gun. If they get 15 entries together, they get a $100 2nd prize as well. If they get 18 entries together, they get a $75 3rd prize. It is only at THIS point that the Masters Award sets are EVEN with those of the Amateurs.

That was the point of my previous post. At least 14 Masters attended the Anderson Match because that is how many of them shot in MasterStock. However, not ENOUGH of them shot the minimum 10 entries in Subcompact, Competition, or MajorSub for the upgrade clause to kick in and improve those three $100 cash awards to guns instead.

OK, Flame on. Tell me just where it is that the Master awards are being awarded at the expense of the Amateurs.

That just is not so.

:steamed:

5. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Well I'm not fussing and I entered all 5 divisions at both matches I could attend to date. As a matter of fact I just received my 30 (from my Orlando Cert) last week. Some folks just don't get it, if there's 10 masters and they shoot all 5 categories available, add the almost guaranteed Matchmeister cert and 6 of the 10 would end up with a certificate.

Seems pretty simple and like a good deal to me.. :)

6. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Not a Master...but I do like the rule change that on paper allows you to shoot three if no one in the squad objects.....I would like to see this expanded and go beyond if no one objects....to be able to move on to the next stage or whatever is appealing....:thumbsup:

7. gpsdiesel

gpsdiesel Senior Member

Could be just simple economics. $25 to register, $15 a box for ammo on each of the comp/major/sub is a hundred bucks. Now if you live close to the match, its not a big deal, but if you drive/fly 600 miles, and a hotel, it starts to add up. Having 2 daughters in college, I have to limit my fun.

So after I win the Fl lottery, I will shoot them all, and more matches.

:laughabove:

8. pnhurst

pnhurst

Thanks for clearing that up. Your post should replace the rule book, as it is easier and quicker to read and understand.

9. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

Yeah. Whoever writes GSSF's rules needs some writing lessons.

;)

10. Fireglock

11. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

:shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: :badpc: :badpc: :badpc: :tongueout: :rofl: :banana:

12. ede

ede Bama's Friend

sort of like the possum calling the rat a long nosed SOB isn't it?

13. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

:upeyes: :thumbsup: :tongueout: :animlol: :supergrin:

Dan:cool:

14. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

+1
    In sum it's simply a truth-table, like a menu for Chinese food ("with 6 you get eggroll").

Regardless of the breakout, bottom line is that Masters do not shoot against Amateurs unless the Amateur puts themself in that position by enrolling in MS or UL - which also sweetens the overall pie btw. It hasn't been taken to its final permutations yet, however, because there is no Amateur Master Stock (which I agree with since it's the parallel to AC)

BUT... for those amateurs who really like the bouncing red dot and want a chance to play with their race gun - we give you - tada - Amateur/Master Unlimited. A category which I believe should exist. Same Chinese menu could apply; without enough shooters the prize pool doesn't get bigger. Amateurs who shoot it for fun now will shoot it anyway, but if specifically opened up to Am's there's another prize potential if enough participate.

Food for thought
    Hoping to see lots of smiling faces at Milwaukee, regardless of status. :supergrin:

:patriot:

15. OMF64

OMF64

The very strange thing I notice from the original post made by "Norske" is this. If there were 14 Master Class shooters why did only 9 shoot the U/L category. I would have thought all 14 would have shot that class. I also noticed that there were 10 Amateurs who shot the U/L category. That was more amateurs than masters shooting U/L. That some how just seemed strange to me.

16. Fireglock

Some folks don't like the Unlimited class and race guns. Some folks won't invest in the gun and toys. Then again at least one Master shoots Unlimited with his stock gun and does a nice job of it. For Amateurs, lots like to shoot the Unlimited, I still think it's the real fun gun at a GSSF match. :)

17. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Roger that, Jerry! I'm gonna shoot my 26 at Milwaukee, but now that I've got a Dillon and can manufacture DP-Caps to shoot in my 34 it's goin' with me to several matches this year. As you said, it's just too much fun not to. :thumbsup:

:patriot:

18. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Shooting a "Red Dot" is a lot of fun. To me it is the most fun you can have with ---------- Well you get the picture. :thumbsup:

19. Neil308

Neil308

When GSSF post the results for the match they didn’t show who is a master class or amateur class. Everyone is scored together. No where on the match registration are you asked, are you a master in GSSF, IDPA, IPSC,USPSA,NRA... So how do they keep track of all the shooters?

Neil

20. Panhandle Bill

Panhandle Bill Senior Member

Good question Neil, how do they know??? With a lot of new shooters joining GSSF how does GSSF personel know who is a Master in another shooting competition? I know that they have good records and keep up with the GSSF shooters but I guess they have to rely on honesty on the part of new shooters.