close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

"Wanted: Great Venison Recipe"

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Glockdude1, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

A GREAT FRIEND of mine, gave me 10lbs of Venison. I am going to grill it over Texas mesquite in my pit. I am looking for a great marinade for it. Suggestions?

;N

2. noway

noway

Right now I been eating alot of cube vension steaks done from the backstrap of a deer and shoulder or ground vensions from the other parts. No marinade on my part but any thing you would use for beef would work fine on deer.

I'm been tring a few worchestershire sauces along with salt/pepper and slapping them on the grill. Just cook them to a medium-rare and avoid well done and you should be good to go ;)

If you have ground vension, cook it like a chilli and add all of your standard chilli ingredients and top on top of rice or pasta. ;)

3. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Depending on ofcourse how much meat you are marinateing you may have to increase quantities.

1 Cup olive oil
    3 tbls balsamic vineger
    2-3 cloves fresh minced garlic
    1 tbls seasoning salt
    1 tbls fresh ground pepper
    2 drops liquid smoke

If possible marinate overnight in ziplock freezer bag. Massage and rotate a couple times. Most important thing about cooking venison is DON'T OVERCOOK IT! Shoot for rare and let it rest after removeing from grill for a couple minutes.
    Let me know if this helps!

4. Glockdude1

alwaysshootin,

Sounds good, I will try it......

;N

5. YukonGlocker

YukonGlocker

I use a marinade just like alwaysshootin's. I add 1 tsp. worchestershire and 1 tbsp. fresh minced onion. This is excellent for beef steak, venison steak, and pork chops. I marinate in ziplock bag for 24 hours in refrig. I take the meat out and let it rise to room temperature before I grill. Mmmmm, making me hungry. Make some fried potatoes and fresh grilled corn on the cob!!! Everyone will be happy!

6. method

method

My two favorite marinade ingredients: beer and honey.

7. noway

noway

Red vinegar also helps as simple tenderizor and also cuts the gamey tasty in most wild game. Make sure you let the meat drain of blood before cooking also.

8. Glockdude1

I grill my corn right on the grill with the husks still on. Pass the butter!!!!!

;N

9. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

One of the reasons I add balsamic vineger is for the tenderizing factor. I prefer the less sweet variety. When you add salt to any meat it acts as a blood extractor! Just ask any Kosher chef!

The aformentioned marinate is just a base, you can experiment from there. If you like spicey add some cut up jalepeno for example.

If you want to try something really tasty,
    take a large castiron skillet 1/3 stick butter 1/3 bottle of favorite merlot or cabernet mix and heat. Throw an a few cups of shrooms and simmer until soft. Pull venison out of marinade and let drain. Clear out room in middle of skillet and sear both sides of venison steaks. Then plate up you'll be the envy of others!

10. mkoricic

mkoricic

Wishbone Italian dressing. soak the meat over-night, than pour on meat as you cook, also put some lemon pepper on it.

11. Glockdude1

Great stuff so far.........

;N

12. noway

noway

{Wishbone Italian dressing. soak the meat over-night, than pour on meat as you cook, also put some lemon pepper on it.}

ditto.

salad mixtures are great simple marindae. I try to stay away from the vinegarette due to it(meat) flames up if you don't pat it try on the grill. But italian dressing and most meats marinading for a 2-4 hours ( no longer ) it a great way for most meats except chicken can stay in it longer.

13. YukonGlocker

YukonGlocker

Off topic, but someone mentioned lemmon pepper. For the best burgers you ever ate, liberaly coat some ground chuck patties with lemmon pepper and just a touch of Lawry's seasoned salt. Let them sit for 1 hour, grill to perfection. Wash it down with an ice cold Budweiser, or Dr. Pepper if you like!!! ;Y

14. Kanos

Kanos Why yes.

BEST VENISON RECIPE EVER

and basically the simplest......

I know your looking for merinades but if you have venison steaks give this a shot,

Large frying pan
    Peanut Oil
    Venison Steaks
    Flour
    Salt

Take the venison steaks outta the package and coat them in flour...put as many as you can fit into a frying pan, and after 5 minutes flip to other side. Cook until just a little pink inside. After this take out and put on paper towel and season with salt. Best venison ive ever had.

15. Glockdude1

Kanos,

Thanks. I am adding your recipe to my list also.

;N

16. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

you mix wishbone italian with cattlemans smoke flavor barbeque sauce.

the plain ordinary original cattlemans. no, don't use some other kind.

it's a bit more sauce than italian dressing, but not hugely so.

about 3 cups of Cattlemans sauce to 2 cups of Wishbone dressing, 60/40 or thereabouts.

you slosh the meat in a day in advance, cover, refrigerate. turn it a time or two, keep it all slathered up. for small quantities, a big freezer bag works to leave it in. let it warm to room temp before cooking.

anyway, use leftovers as brush on sauce, when nearly cooked. don't burn it. this is for grilling.