close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Want upgrades, and have questions...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by creeky73, Jan 16, 2010.

1. creeky73

creeky73

So I have a gen 3 G17 that I am in love with. Now I am thinking about having some work done, and I have a few questions.

First, what are the pro's/con's of having some trigger work done, who would I send it to if I wanted work done by reputable people only, and how much can I look to spend on one?

What are the pro's/con's of replacing the guide rod/spring? Is this a straight drop-in upgrade, or does it require fitting in some cases? Does this affect the reliability of the Glock in any way?

I am also considering buying a Storm Lake barrel, mainly because it appears to be a straight drop-in situation. Are their products considered to be good quality? I was also considering using the G17L barrel, will this work in my gun?

Thanks in advance for any help. :cool:

2. AZson

AZson

If your going to it for personal protection, I would replace the guide rode with a metal one. It takes a lot of shooting but they do break some times and that's a fact. I've replace all of mine with metal before they can break, but my G17 and thats because I just got it.
    The storm lake barrel would be good for shooting lead with out any worries.
    Any G17 barrel will fit the G17, even the G34 would fit it but would extend out about a 1".

3. bentbiker

bentbiker

What is the gun for? What is it about the current trigger that frustrates you? Vanek and Glockworx both do custom triggers. You can spend hundreds of dollars.

4. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Better trigger means better shooting. Of course, if your shooting is bad now, a trigger job isn't going to fix it. But a good shooter can use a good trigger to his/her advantage.

Factory is in almost all cases fine. But every once in a while you will hear of one breaking. I have both factory and SS guide rods. They all work fine. The biggest advantage to the metal guide rods is that you can tune the spring weight to suit different loads.

I've owned exactly one Storm Lake barrel and it was junk. I had a G32C and bought a Storm Lake 40S&W barrel. Would not feed and was grouping about 4" at 21'.