Want to travel to Europe.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by diggy485, Feb 15, 2020.

1. diggy485

diggy485

I wasn’t even considering chaining flights. Lol
    That makes a big difference.

catman71 likes this.
  2. catman71

catman71 Spewer of TROOF

this is good advice. I just paid 1300 a seat for direct flights to Heathrow from Minneapolis
    But it’s delta, I’m 6’5” and I insist on Delta one or Comfort Plus and my wife loves her huge checked bag.
    If I was regular sized I could get some cheaper options

but after i compare the costs I’m second guessing my decision

3. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Groupon has some pretty attractive package deals most of the time. We saved at least $2,500 when we went to Italy two years ago. That would be one of the first places I looked, some of the deals seem too good to be true but they aren't.

diggy485 and catman71 like this.
  4. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member

If you plan from city to city or country to country in Europe, DITCH the big as suitcases. You will thank me later. One carryon suitcase each with clothes and travel essentials, one smaller one with your small electronic stuff. Take along those travel packets of Woolite to wash your stuff in sinks or use hotel services or try to find a laundry.

You will be f*ing miserable after day 3 of dragging bigaz suitcases thru train stations that have NO elevators and thousands of stairs. Also, if you want to travel between a lot of close by countries, Eurail pass is still a good bargain. Just DONT be cheap, get the First class coach one. Again, you will thank me.

If you give me an idea of where yo want o go go, I can give yo more tailored tips as I have traveled there a lot, and my wife even more.

One last tip, if you enter Europe thru the UK, be prepared to pay the highest taxes on your ticket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

catman71 likes this.
  5. WT

WT Millennium Member

Have you considered a tour?

Some of them have airfare included at incredibly low prices.

6. Hoochrunners

Hoochrunners

I’d develop a limp and buy a weapon, I mean nice hard cane for the trip.

7. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Cheapest way to get there would take extra stops. From here (Canada) it's usually thru Reykjavik or Frankfurt. Forget about the direct flights. Instead of the traditional destinations, go on Vienna, Prague, Cracow trip. You can travel via train between these cities. Vienna would be the most expensive out of the three, Cracow the cheapest, so plan accordingly. You can extend the trip by including Croatian coast as well. This is the essence of real Europe. Full of history, culture, old times charm and not as crowded as Paris or London. Cheaper too. Better food, friendliest people (except Austria where they are usually very formal and....well, you'll see). Good luck.

diggy485 and FullClip like this.
  8. 4896worker

4896worker

We did a 21 day Rick Steve’s best of Europe tour in 2019 little over 5000 a piece . Best bang for the buck all breakfast all lodging all travel half you dinners all entry into sites and great guides of the cities and sites . Also did not have to wait in line witch for some could be hours. Witch saved days on the trip .
    Wife searched the cheap internet sites got tickets for 700 each . San Francisco to Amsterdam then home Paris to Oakland she started 9 months in advance .

diggy485 likes this.
  9. diggy485

diggy485

Lots of great advice, thank you.
    I’m thinking we will fly into Reykjavik, then jump over to Ireland, UK, and hopefully German, and some small towns in between.
    We will be spending 7-9 days.

10. diggy485

diggy485

I’m not really sure what all we want to do yet. We’re still working out the logistics.
    We want to do Ireland, UK, some small towns, and would like to try and get to Germany.

11. Kennydale

Kennydale

12. diggy485

diggy485

Why what?

13. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Probably because they want to. Contrary to the popular belief around here, Europe still has a lot to offer. Both for the tourists and even the prospective residents. It's all about selecting the right location that will allow you to do whatever you want. It's very diversified continent and while not free of troubles (what part of the World is), it's very attractive destination.

14. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member

Ok, if you want to do Ireland, and plan on getting a rental car, buy the MAXIMUM insurance. The roads there are narrow and lined by stone walls, very easy to bump and bruise the car. Also t you will be driving on the “wrong” side of the road, and that’s easy to screw up. Especially when turning left.

UK, don’t rent a car, use the train/public transport.

Germany, you really don’t need a car, you can everywhere on the very reliable public train and street car, etc services.

Again, if you plan on traveling like this, I urge you to ditch the big suitcases, especially if you want to fly, God help you, EasyJet or one of the other super cheap airlines. FYI! easyJet makes Spirit Airlines look like an all first class, perfect customer service airline. EasyJet is the airline whose CEO wanted to eliminate bathrooms to add more seats...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

diggy485 likes this.
  15. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

If you are shocked/deterred by those prices, do yourself a favor and don't ever look into flying to Japan.

16. uhlawpup

uhlawpup l'Italia s'è desta

If you really want a wonderful experience from your trip, learn a little about your destinations and the customs there beforehand. If you are polite and show some attempt at doing things their way, you will find Europeans in every country warm and welcoming.

I started traveling in 1975 with my English bride. We have seen wonderful things, met marvelous people, and learned much about history and culture.

For example, while in France I learned that if you greet people in French and try to speak a little of the language, you will find most French speak perfect English, and will do so once you try French. Also, on entering a shop in France, custom dictates that you greet the shopkeeper when you enter and ask permission to look around. You’d gasp at the good deals and excellent treatment we got doing that.

In France and Italy, at breakfast-included hotels, the lady running things would never speak to me in English and always insist that I say the name of the hotel and room number correctly in the local language. I found out on the last day of my stay she was doing that so that if I got lost, I could tell the police or whoever was helping me where I was staying. Both ladies spoke flawless English.

When we arrived in Florence, my back was bothering me and we stopped in the doorway so my wife could help me tie my shoe. While this was going on the owner of the building came out, greeted us in flawless English, and asked for my tourist map of Florence. Then, in his impeccable business suit, he sat on the stoop, took out a gold pen, and proceeded to mark some restaurants on it where the locals eat, and what tourist traps to avoid. Turns out he owned a factory that manufactured leather coats, and insisted we come back to his showroom the next day. He was fascinated by my wife, who was the perfect model size to fit into his display model coats. We did, and she left with a beautiful jacket that cost ten cents on the dollar. He even gave us a note for customs to prove how little we paid for it.

When eating in a restaurant, order the house wine, red or white. This is what they serve the local clientele and is better than anything in a bottle with a label.

I could go on, but I don’t want to bore you.

Always smile, and remember the magic words you learned from Captain Kangaroo, please and thank you. You will have a marvelous time. I promise.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    pAZ Ron, DAKA, FullClip and 3 others like this.
  17. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

My wife has similar stories from Ireland and Norway where she studied/worked. I on the other hand, had the most beautiful time in and around Moscow and made some German friends. People there are usually very friendly (just like You pointed out) when approached the right way. It's all about the mutual respect. I hope that I'll live long enough to travel across Europe some day, after retiring here. Booze, food, friendly folks, culture, history....there is a lot to like, despite some areas being swamped with the barbarians. One can stay away from those places though.

FullClip and diggy485 like this.
  18. diggy485

diggy485

A lot of good advice. Thanks
    We also want to try an make it up to Sweden, but we don’t know about time and money.

19. diggy485

diggy485

Japan is actually on our list one of these years. Lol

20. aplcr0331

aplcr0331

Try Skyscanner.com

Look at flying in to Dublin. Cheaper than other European cities.

From there get light and fly RyanAir.

diggy485 likes this.