close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Want to start varmit hunting.

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by SkippyThe, May 10, 2003.

1. SkippyThe

SkippyThe

I've decided that I want to start hunting varmits mainly Marmots and coyotes. And I'd like to give it a try before I go over board on equipment. I'd like to try with my SKS. It shoots 1" to 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards. And I have shot Marmots at one area I shoot with my G35 in side of 50 yards. I plan on shooting some of the Russian hollow point stuff as my SKS shoots that well. But does any company make a faster expanding factory loaded bullet in 7.62x39mm?

Then if I get into it I'll drop some $ on a new rifle and most likely a reloading press. Thanks ST

2. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

You need to buy some russian Ulyanovsk Hollow Point bullets in 7.62x39 for maximum destruction on varmints. It frags like crazy! Wolf HP ammo does not even compare.

Email me and I'll send you some pics or do a search on Glocktalk for Ulyanovsk for my previous posts. benclawson@hotmail.com

3. manonmars

manonmars Spaced Out

Why do you want to kill these animals?

Have they done something to you to deserve to be Killed?

4. MI10mm

MI10mm

;g See above. ;Q

5. Guest

Because they go splat when you shoot them? Seriously though, most states consider marmots (groundhogs or woodchucks as they're also know) as destructive pests and allow nearly year round hunting of them. Ever see how much damage these things can do to an area? A number of farmers in Northern Maine pay for shooters to come in and thin them out. I go varminting for them on my uncles potato farm, and a number of other farmers in the area asked me to pay them a visit too.

6. TheActor

TheActor unsane

Are groundhog pelts worth anything? It's the only varmint I can think of in central NC. Wanting to give this a go myself.

7. Guest

Not up here. You can check in your local area, but I don't think there's any particular demand for their pelts.

8. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Nope, but coyote pelts can be worth a few bucks. I haven't sold any of mine, but I know guys who do. I'll bet ya dollars to doughnuts there's coyotes in your area.

9. glockster96

glockster96 Moderator Lifetime Member

Nope.

Also be careful, as the fleas on dogs can carry the plague.

10. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

11. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

In most cases I would agree. Especially with the original posters choice of 7.62x39. With correct bullet selection and loads .22 centerfires will only leave a minimal hole that is easily sewn up.

A few of my coyote hunting buddies use various .17's with the most common being the .17 remington. I've seen dead coyotes that we couldn't find an entrance wound on until they were skinned. Some of the more obscure .14's have been hitting the scene.

You might not think a .17 or .14 can do the trick being the bullets are so light. But at the speed they are going, they have no trouble putting them down.

12. vart

vart

Where are you in Washington? Some guys I work with are from the SouthWestern corner near the Columbia River and they rave about the nutria hunting.
    Also, we have a problem with marmots in this area. They burrow into the levee along the Snake River and weaken it, which could lead to a very bad situation for the local residents.

13. SkippyThe

SkippyThe

Spokane area. We have plenty of varmits up here. Heck a marmot is the mascot of River Front Park. ST

14. lwt210

lwt210

Some of the best varmit hunting that I ever enjoyed was coyotes and other varmits native to L.A. (lower Alabama). But I used bolt rifles with heavy barrels in .220 Swift, .223 and .308 at long distance. I don't think I would have had nearly as much enjoyment with a short range semi-auto like a SKS. My .223 was a used Remington 700 and wasn't a "bank-buster". Get up everyday regretting selling that rifle for some stupid golf clubs. Darn things are defective anyway: every ball I hit curves to the right.;)