close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Want to Make Good on the Sale

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by NavArch, Aug 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NavArch

NavArch

Quite a while ago, I sold a used G26 in northern VA. The buyer was not satisfied with its functionality, even though inspection by two gunsmiths had pronounced it "Good". Shortly after that, something in my internet connection prevented me from logging into GlockTalk to correct the problem. Sounds pretty lame, but its true.

If this was you, or think you know the buyer - Please contact me. My reputation is more important than the sale. I will recognize the buyer and the G26, and will entertain any reasonable accommodation.

2. packinaglock

packinaglock John 3:16

Did you ever have any issues with that pistol? Why was it checked out by two gunsmiths? Good on you for being a stand up guy.

3. NavArch

NavArch

I had some problems with FTF, despite changing magazines and ammo. In the course of having the gunsmiths look into it, both shrugged and said that I must be limp-wristing the pistol. It would have been the first time that had happened to me, but hey, there's a first time for everything, right?

I figured that that particular pistol just wasn't for me and sold it. My soul is worth more than the price of the gun. Just trying to even the scales.

4. whmaxwell

whmaxwell

I have no trouble buying any Glock... old used LEO trade-in, etc. Glock has a lifetime warranty and yes, it's easy for me as I just drive over to Glock to get work done but if they mail it in, Glock will take care of any issue.

I understand what you are saying and hope it all works out for you although it was a used gun and I'm sure you advertised it as such... buyer beware man. As long as he got the gun and it fit your description, I think you are good to go.

5. NavArch

NavArch

I knew that Glock would respond to the first owner of one of their pistols, but was not aware at the time of the sale that the warranty was of the lifetime variety. If I end up getting the G26 back, I will send it to Smyrna.

6. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

My hat is off to NAVARCH.

It is getting harder and harder to find a stand-up guy.

'Round here, we would call you a Virginia Gentleman. :thumbsup:

7. Sonnytoo

Sonnytoo

Glocks come and go. Some folks have a problem with one particular gun; the new owner might like it just fine.
    If the new owner finds that it doesn't feed, he'll either fix it or sell it. Many of us have experienced this, and I don't think you did anything wrong. If he contacts you; fine. Deal with it as you think. But don't worry about it. You did what you could.
    And yes, I'm glad you have a good ethical code. As mentioned above, you are a rare bird.
    S2

8. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Noble! (Perhaps a little naive, too!) The worst, 'hosing' I ever took on the sale of a personal gun was given to me by an older man who swore I had sold him a defective Browning P-35. When he brought it back, it had mysterious scratches on the inside of the dust cover that had never been there before.

He was a close friend of a, then, business associate of mine; and, rather than risk the relationship, I decided to return his $850.00 to him. Both men had custody of my pistol before it was sold. A couple of weeks later when I sat down with these two fellows and asked them to share in the cost of my loss the both of them told me, 'It's your problem!'

I was furious. Slowly, I had come to realize that the older fellow who bought my Browning had installed the recoil spring upside down and fired the pistol. The mistake I made was trusting the both of these people to have as much respect for our business relationship as I did. (Wrong!)

While I don't know whether or not your offer to make good is going to save your soul, (Personally, I doubt it because genuine salvation depends upon a lot more than just business transactions.) I think you might enjoy knowing that personal, 'karma' is, also, involved.

It's been my experience that whatever each of us does has a curious way of affecting the entire rest of our lives. ('What goes around, comes around!) As for my two former business associates? The fellow who told me it wasn't his problem went on to, both, personal bankruptcy and having the BATF, 'dance the Conga Line' with their MP-5's through his living room at 2:00am.

'Birds of a feather ...... ' Later on the two of them made the ill-advised decision to go into business with each other; and you guessed it! That business never even got off the ground; and the both of them lost thousands of dollars on the attempted venture.

I think it's very wise of you to attempt to make things right; however, my best guess would be that your G-26 has already changed hands and/or been back to Smyrna where it might (or might not) have already been made right.

Too many gunmen seem to forget that Glock does NOT use any sort of reinforced polymer in their pistol frames. It's not well known, but a Glock frame that's, even slightly, too flexible can cause this problem. This is one of the reasons, 'Why' Steyr uses a steel underframe in their pistols. (Steyr employs, or used to employ, many of the same engineers who designed the original Glocks.)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  9. Shasta McNasty

Shasta McNasty

do you disclose to the guy that you were selling him a messed up pistol? you said it had FTF's.

and will you give him a FULL refund?

just curious......:popcorn:

10. djackson

djackson CLM

I like the fact you are willing to step up and try to make things right with the buyer

11. NavArch

NavArch

All I knew for sure at the time was that I, personally, was having problems with the pistol and that it had been vouchsafed by two professionals as not being "messed up". I do not remember mentioning the problem, and since I don't remember doing so, and with the professional input I had, I likely did not mention it. When I posted "entertain any reasonable accommodation", my view was that if the pistol is in the same condition as when I sold it to him and he is including the 10 factory magazines that went with it, then yes, a full refund. The bore was immaculate, and the extractor and connector had been replaced in the course of troubleshooting.

12. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

What were the functioning problems that he experienced?

13. NavArch

NavArch

I don't know. He wasn't clear about that, and after two years my memory of the conversation is a bit fuzzy.

14. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

2 years later, geez.

Well, good on you for doing the right thing; though I suspect if he were having problems that gun would be long gone. I give bad ones about a day before I chuck 'em.

15. NavArch

NavArch

Yup, 2 years. I had a long spell of not being able to log onto GT, and then other parts of life got in the way.

16. fortheboys

fortheboys

Did you reach out to the guys that answered your original ad?

17. silvrevo

silvrevo

Your no arc angel....your the angel of death!

18. silvrevo

silvrevo

And be careful of being Mr nice guy....you can wind up walking really funny for a few days cause you just got....up ....the........

People beware!!!

19. AustinTx

AustinTx

Arc Angel

Very good post. It's nice to see you around.

20. fortheboys

fortheboys

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.