close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Want to get tints

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Arr6, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Arr6

Arr6 .com

I want to get my car tinted and want to stay legal. The only issue is I drive to various states often and don't want to get in trouble.

Here in IL I can tint the back windows as dark as I want but other states like FL have limits. So what is the safest tint % to stay legal in various states.

I will only be tinting the back windows but was looking at 5%.

Is it really a big deal with the back windows, Will an officer pull me over just for dark rear windows?

I do carry when driving out of state and would prefer to avoid unnecessary police stops.

2. Resqu2

Resqu2

VA used to be bad about tinting, they use it for a reason to stop you, I keep mine VA legal which is 2 shades lighter than a factory tint. I have always heard you can paint your back window black as long as you have side mirrors on your vehicle. Id say if you want to avoid trouble don't black em out and stay legal in your home state.

3. Tx-G30

Tx-G30

tinted windows are nice if you drive a lot during the day. however, they're a PITA when you're driving at night, esp when you're trying to drive in reverse

4. Mikey444

Mikey444 sacré bleu!

I have 25% on my back windows and 35% on my front ones. I can see perfectly fine at night, I'm above the limit for my states fuzzy laws, and officers can see in if they approach. I got them done because I have a black car and it likes to cook in the sun.

For the love of Pete, get it done by a professional. I can't tell you how many home-jobs I have seen that just end up as a mass of bubbles. I got mine done 10 years ago, cost me $200, and it's still holding strong.

5. Mikey444

Mikey444 sacré bleu!

Do you do a lot of night-time reverse driving? Seems kinda dangerous...

:supergrin:

6. Tx-G30

Tx-G30

LOL, yeah... most parking lots in my area are the kind you pull into. Parallel parking isn't that popular around here lol. Besides, my g/f hates driving at night so I drive for us. Yeah, I hate driving at night too.

7. advdes45

advdes45

You sthould sthee the gwate big ole tints I theen yethsternay. :wow:

8. cab980002

cab980002

IL has now changed the tint law. It is kink of complicated but they have % limits now for all windows. If your car has no tint at all you can have 35% all around. If you have a SUV/Truck w/factory rear window tint you can do 50% on the front side windows. You can still do limo the back but nothing on front side windows. You can do 30% in back but then you can only do 50% up front. I know confusing, went into effect 10-31-09. Also, if you are out of state you just need to be in compliance for your state.

9. hambone33

hambone33

It'll get you stopped in places in Fla like on the turnpike or I-75 . That's one of the things the drug interdiction guys look for . I got pulled for it on 75 for haveing to dark tint I just roll all of the windows down in the car so the trooper could see in as he was walking up and he didn't hassle me to bad just wrote me a warning . In Tallahassee where I live I've never been pulled and I had all of my windows at 5% . In Ga they'll stop you write you a ticket and make you peel it on the spot so I'm told .:dunno: Ps Stay away from the mirror tint .The trooper that stopped me said if I had that stuff he'd wrote me anyway just because he didn't like it .

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  10. Jon91N/A

Jon91N/A

I really wouldn't suggest 5% on any part of your windows. If you want to generally stay out of trouble, I would recommend 30-35% on the sides and down to 20% on the rear. You may get pulled in states where you aren't compliant so officers can sniff for other infractions but they would have to be pretty big jerks to give you an actual ticket for it.

That sounds a bit far fetched but they will go after you though. I have 20% on the side of my SC400 and got pulled over on 75 in the north part of GA. He just gave me a warning though.

11. Resqu2

Resqu2

Plus 1 on this advice, have never had an issue, usually just getting driver and passenger window done, $50. My buddy at work does his own, looks like crap, falls off, bubbles and he keeps on trying and wasting money.

12. hambone33

hambone33

That sounds a bit far fetched but they will go after you though. I have 20% on the side of my SC400 and got pulled over on 75 in the north part of GA. He just gave me a warning though.[/QUOTE]

Those were his exact words . However far fetched it might sound to you it didn't sound far fetched at all to me on the side of 75 and he didn't crack a smile when he said it . I just took my warning smiled said thank you sir and went on about my bussiness .

13. Jon91N/A

Jon91N/A

Those were his exact words . However far fetched it might sound to you it didn't sound far fetched at all to me on the side of 75 and he didn't crack a smile when he said it . I just took my warning smiled said thank you sir and went on about my bussiness .[/QUOTE]

Sorry I misquoted you. I meant to select the part where you said they would make a person peel it off on the spot.

14. hambone33

hambone33

Sorry I misquoted you. I meant to select the part where you said they would make a person peel it off on the spot.[/QUOTE]

No problem . That part is hearsay I had a friend that Had it happen to him I wasn't ther for that on so I don't really know how his got messed that's just what he told me happened . I guess hound dog will be along after awhile and let us know if he's heard anything like this he lives up there .

15. NateHodge

NateHodge Here too much

Check out this website for a list of state laws on a PDF chart. It also includes the addendum for IL.

http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Law_Chart/auto_statelaws.html

I got a ticket in GA for my tint. At the time I had 5% all the way around on my F150(20% on the back to balance out to 5% over the factory tint). Got home, went to get the tint stripped, but not because of the ticket. I just wanted lighter on the front sides. They told me that if I had been legal in MS to begin with, he wouldn't have been able to cite me and make it stick since my truck is registered in MS. There are no federal laws on tint, so it's at the state level and I was legal in my home state and on a federal roadway. Take it for what it's worth, but that's what I was told.

Tint laws around here are pretty much looked over. But now I have a Dr's note to have any tint I want because of my cluster headaches. I still choose 15%, 5% is just a bit too much at night. 15% is pretty dark at night, but light enough that it doesn't cause me any problems seeing, you just can't see me. I can barely tell the difference between 15% and 5% during the day, but it's a ton easier to drive with at night.

16. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

I've got a Waiver from the State of Arizona along those same lines.
    I put 3% all the way around, with a 6" strip across the top of the windshield.
    Can't see in, even with your face up against the glass in the middle of the day. :cool:

To the OP: As long as you are legal in your home state, you should be good anywhere else.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  17. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

Yeah...you don't think about it much, but I hate the factory tinted rear window on my GMC pick-up when I'm plowing snow at night. Since there's only about 8 hours of daylight in the winter..that's most of the time. It's not even an option anymore. I need to get some real heavy duty back-up lights before I hit another tree...amazing how those stupid trees keep moving around while I'm plowing!:supergrin:

18. The AmBASSaDEER

The AmBASSaDEER

They wrote me a ticket in Statesboro and said I had til the end of the day to take it off and go to the police station and show him and he would rip up the ticket. I did, and so did he.

19. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr

Its been said once before, but you just need to be legal in the state that your vehicle is registered in. Doesn't matter what states you drive through.