Want to get a "fun" .22 for me and the kid for the Range

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by CBennett, Feb 24, 2013.

1. CBennett

CBennett

Ok I want to get something fun to shoot but a range only gun(meaning semi auto..as here in PA you cant actually hunt with a semi auto). What do you guys suggest? some of the stuff ive been thinking about include The M&P .22 AR, the MP5 looking .22LR, a Ruger 10-22 with one of those ArchAngel "kits", anything else you guys can think a 13 year old and his dad could have some fun with at the range?

Even thought about that STG 44(i think it was STG 44 or 45?? brain cramp sorry) but thats quite pricey...

2. dizmodeus

dizmodeus

The mp5 22 is a whole lot of fun and will eat just about any ammo you throw at it. The recoil spring is adjustable.I have a m&p 15 22 just haven't had a chance to try it out yet so I can't comment on reliability. It does feel more cheaply built. My 20-22 has the factory furniture but it's dead reliable.

3. brownsbacker

brownsbacker

I bought my grandson the 10-22 takedown and the SR22. Both are well made and handle great.

4. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

I started my son with a Henry youth model lever action .22 it shoots shorts or LR. He's shooting high powered scoped rifles now, but he has that foundation of shooting open sights. The size and weight were a good fit and the lever kind of like a single shot gets them tuned into each shot a little more.

I like shooting it too. The lever action is really smooth, the trigger is good and the accuracy is pretty darn good considering we feed it bulk Federal ammo.

5. CBennett

CBennett

Yeah i was thinking something along the lines of a semi auto and a military type /looking rifle(id say assault type but people get bent out of shape so i digress). He has a Savage Youth model left hand bolt action(hes a lefty) and likes that for hunting woodchucks. He often shoots the M1 Garand and AK74 with open sights and started out on a Cricket single shot with peep sights. I actually offered to get him as his first "real" rifle anything he could hunt with..in the end it came down to the Henry octogon barrel lever action or the Savage he chose the Savage...

Hes 13 now but has been shooting since he was 5 or 6...he also loves the S&W 22A with the red dot and I cant keep loading enough .38 specials in the Dan Wesson 4" .357 to keep him happy he loves shooting that Revolver :)

He now has a simple 4X scope(swift) on his Savage but I made sure he could use everything from peeps(his cricket) and open ones like the AK74 and M1 garand and Dan Wesson...and scopes even the red dot from the 22A so hes pretty well versed :)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  6. Short Cut

Seems like a good plan. One thing with my scoped 10/22 is my daughters have a little struggle with the weight and it wears them out so that a steady sight picture becomes difficult. That and the shorter stocks form a pretty good combo for favoring one of the youth model rifles. Especially with the youngest shooters.

I figure our little Henry is a keeper. I hope to be teaching the grandkids with it someday. :cowboy:

7. Short Cut

funny about the .38 CB. We use a 6" SW 586 the first time he went from the .38 to a .357 he fired and got this big ol' grin on his face. :supergrin:

8. GIG4FUN

GIG4FUN

I just bought two more Ruger 10/22 Take Down models for my grand kids.

It's a heck of a product that is a great pleasure for the family here. We all have them and enjoy a little compeating for cheap.
    I have quite a few Ruger 10/22's as I have grown up with them and have a few from my passed family and from my purchases over the years for their variations in models. I have high regard for them for sentimenatl reasons and respect for their quality. I say it's time to start your sentimental side.

Oh, I wanted to edit this in:
    I bought them from a "gun show" and got them reasonably under MSRP. They were only one serial number off. I wanted consecutive but couldn't find. He must have had over 60 of them there new in boxes (I helped him look). He was a Ruger vendor.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  9. Jack Wagon

Jack Wagon Mr Wagon to you

[​IMG]

My opinion, get the S&W M&P 15-22. I have a 12 yr old son, and a 10 yr old daughter. They both have a blast every time we go out shooting. My wife enjoys shooting it as well. A great all around family gun.

The 50 rd drum really puts a smile on their face!

Jack Wagon

10. CBennett

CBennett

Lol that looks great with the drum :)

11. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

The S&W M&P15-22 is a great rifle for plinking. Mine has been completely flawless since I bought it almost 2 years ago. A lot of people on here own them and I have not heard one bad thing about them.

12. CMG

CMG

Personally, I would also recommend the S&W M&P 15-22 for its light weight, reliability and the fact that it quickly adjusts for folks of different stature.

The Ruger 10/22 comes in a variety of configurations as well, and it too can be quick to adapt if you get one in any of the several "tactical" style stocks (Tapco, ATI, Archangel).

13. cyphertext

cyphertext

If you are wanting an AR-15 style .22lr that has the same manual of arms as a 5.56 AR-15 out of the box, then the answer is the S&W M&P 15-22. My son shoots his and then can slide over to my AR-15 and everything is exactly the same, other than weight.

The Ruger 10-22 is a good gun, but if you are going to dress it up in an Arch Angel kit to make it look like an AR-15, it will cost you about the same amount as the S&W, and will not operate like an AR-15.

14. CBennett

CBennett

Honestly does not really matter I dont even own a AR im a AK guy(though id love a AR but I decided $369 and 3 mags was a lot better price than $700+ for the base AR's at that time)and all we have in that kind of weapon is a AK74. at the current prices and such I honestly doubt if I will ever have a AR. guess I will be "stuck" with mk AK74 and M1 Garand lol.

15. shooter1074

shooter1074

I'd also recommend the M&P 15-22. The adjustable stock allows my son, who's 9, to shoot comfortably. He's still a little too small for the 10/22. Maybe after the next growth spurt.

16. Homechicken

Homechicken

How about a Marlin Model 60? Probably one of the least expensive .22 semi autos and holds 14 rounds. Not military looking and I don't know what customizing parts there are, if any, but a good gun and fun to shoot.

17. cyphertext

cyphertext

18. CBennett

CBennett

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  19. CMG

CMG

The Sig 522 is another great choice... not as light as the S&W, but built of much better stuff than the GSG or the HK (umarex) .22 MP5s, IMO. It comes in two forms:

Sig 522 Commando w/ faux suppressor and a TruGlo 1x 42mm RDS

[​IMG]

Sig 522 Classic with TruGlo 1x 42mm RDS

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  20. bac1023

bac1023

I really like the Ruger 10/22 myself. :)