want to buy a Panasonic Toughbook,anyone owned one?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by raven11, Feb 25, 2010.

1. raven11

raven11

let me first start off by saying its not to add to my tactical loadout :rofl:
    i'm just really clumbsy with laptop computers , my first laptop was fine but i gave it away to my brother when i moved out of the house, my second died after the screen fizzled after 2 years. the one i'm currently using has
    (due to my neglagence) only have two USB ports out of four still working and is getting a tad worn out from constant use

i want to break the cycle of me having a laptop that last 2-3 years tops and thinking of getting a referbished panasonic toughbook for $500-1,000
    likely something like this:

http://www.toughbookxchange.com/products/product.php?II=1007 or http://www.toughbookxchange.com/products/product.php?II=1120

i don't use it to game(i have a desktop for that) but i use it to take online classes,type papers, bring it with me to travel, surf the web, play movies(mostly off an external) sometimes off of youtube

what do you think guys , should i buy a toughbook , or save the coin for a regular laptop

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  2. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

My personal opinion is that if you aren't in a warzone with a need for a PC in the feild, under fire or if you aren't embarking on a survivor expedition in the wilderness while using your laptop to locate a GPS signal well ....

Toughbooks are PROHIBITIVELY expensive for the specs you get. You could, conceivably buy a new disposable laptop every other year and be vastly happier with the experience for the same money, over time.

I would never recommend a toughbook to someone who wasn't actively using a computer in the most harsh environments. Even a soldier deployed to IQ or the stan has enough comfort to support a disposable laptop (for the most part, in a FOB).

Nope, unless you just like them so much you have to have one I can whole-heartedly advise you, in good conscience, not to purchase one. They're a gimick product for a niche market.

3. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

I had one in Chicago... I used to drop it... throw it in the truck... it was basically for email/programming PBX's and troubleshooting internet access problems... it worked Perfectly just wasnt very fast... it could also stop a bullet I was into this as well due to the fact you cannot have a pistol in chicago.

There is a few more companies making "Tough" laptops... they even look like any other laptop and can sustain LOTS of abuse... I forget the name but it was on G4TV. average on speed and they threw it around on TV quite a bit and submerged it in water it was still running inside the tank... MSRP was $1200

4. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

lol dude that thing weighs 8 lbs!

5. Swiper

Swiper

I haven't owned one, but I did get the opportunity to use one in Iraq. Unless you have some very special requirement, i.e. military tactical environment in the desert, don't waste your money on a Toughbook.

The very large majority of our computers downrange were Dell Latitudes and they worked just fine.

Compared to the Dell Latitudes the Toughbook is impractical for the casual use you intend to use it for.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  6. raven11

raven11

thanks everyone for giving me a straight answer, i guess i have to learn to take better care of my stuff

7. jilverthor

jilverthor

I think that a netbook would be a much better option. Since you said it won't be used for gaming, spend $250-$350 on a netbook when you next have to replace the computer. In addition to being cheap, you find it is easier to put the netbook into a bag or a sleeve since it takes up so much less space.

8. kilroy2721

kilroy2721

My company uses Toughbooks, but not your models. But the county EMS people do, and they are heavy and cumbersome. You will have to send it back to Panasonic for practically any repairs as they do use a lot of propritary parts. It is not worth it.

9. Detectorist

Detectorist

Get a Dell and get an extended warranty and the 'complete care' accidental warranty.

That will cover you nicely.

10. YogiBearFan

YogiBearFan

[Resurecting a dead thread as I was checking on this myself]

I was looking at the Toughbook as well. I see used ones on Ebay all the time, and wondered about the batteries.

I used to use a Toughbook a few years back and they are TANKS. (kind of like a Glock, when you think of it)

I have not played with any of the newer models. Last one I touched was a CF-27. (way old now)

If you can score one of the "newer" ones on ebay for a decent price, like a CF-29 MKV that has the 1.6GHz CPU, its a perfectly good unit.

Batteries are going to set you back $100+ for new ones.