want: thread starter's ignore list works to deny adding replies

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by FThorn, Aug 31, 2004.

1. FThorn

FThorn TV/Movie Club

It would be great if the person who starts a thread, their ignore list is then used to deny those persons on the ignore list from posting replies inside the thread.

2. BikerGoddess

BikerGoddess Got hairspray?

And because you don't like someone, we shouldn't get to hear their opinion?

I'm sure there's a word for that....

Laura

3. FThorn

FThorn TV/Movie Club

you are correct. if the person starting the thread does not want to hear their opinion, it would be a nice feature to make OPTIONAL.

Just my 2 cents. I don't mind any blabbering about censorship that goes with this sort of idea.

4. gudel

gudel

that's a very good idea.
    I support this, it would significantly reduce thread terrorists and paxil mongers

I don't watch the tv or listen to the radio I dislike or don't want to hear. I believe it is called Selective Information Processing (TM), where I filter the incoming crap. This is the very reason I don't go to see any Moore's movies.

5. BikerGoddess

BikerGoddess Got hairspray?

So don't read threads you don't like. And if the person is on your ignore already, you won't even know you're missing it...

Laura

6. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

That's a great idea. In a sense, each thread is (or should be) its originator’s intellectual property. This change in essence would make him mini-moderator over his own thread. If you’re going to invest your own intellectual capital to produce something for the good of the group, you deserve to not have it hijacked or vandalized and the group should defer to your judgment as to whose participation would be detrimental to your thread. It's a small price to pay for the thread-starter's contribution.

It also will save the Mods some of the manual labor they might otherwise have to apply to settling petty squabbles.

7. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

no way. if we did, we'd have twice as many threads. instead of two (or more) ppl arguing in one thread we'd have a thread per person discussing why he doesn't agree with the original poster.

8. FThorn

FThorn TV/Movie Club

Thanks!

9. Tennessee Slim

So you think it's better to give thread terrorists and paxil mongers (sorry, gudel) free reign to vandalize threads they have no intent of contributing to?

10. Fumble

Fumble RIP Poom . . .

I think it’s a bad idea. It would impose the threads originator’s ignore list on everyone else for that thread.

11. Tennessee Slim

‘Impose’ is a complete mischaracterization. No one is forcing you to join the thread.

First, your protest is illogical. You trust them to create an informative thread but not to be rational in whom they choose to exclude. If the poster is so irrational that they’d banish someone from the discussion who you consider material to it, how could they possibly have anything to say that’s of interest to you anyway??

Second, joining a thread is tantamount to accepting an invitation to a party hosted by the original poster. The fact that someone has put forth the effort should confer upon them at least the right to approve of the guest list. And it’s not much of a display of gratitude for you to accept an invitation to a party, then to kvetch about who’s not allowed to attend.

If you’re not happy with the attendees, go start your own thread!

12. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

And no one is forcing you to read the comment(s) of those on your ignore list.

IMO, This has to be the most absurd suggestion I've ever read here in the Front Office.

IGF

13. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

I totally disagree. This is a complete blocking of free speech. If you(the person who started the thread) don't want to read someones post to it then you can have them on your ignore list so you won't have to read it but others may be interested in what they have to say. Differing points of view, in a mature manner of course, is good. I may not agree with what you have to say but I fully support your right to say it.

This is my personal point of view on your post and not meant as a flame in any form.:)

14. Tennessee Slim

It doesn't work that way. Nothing prevents a subsequent un-ignored poster from quoting an ignored post.

Give me time; I'm just getting warmed up. ;)

You're completely wrong. It isn't blocking anything. Start your own thread and say whatever you like. :)

15. Don At PC

So basically what you are saying is that if you start a thread that the only posts you want to that thread are ones that are in agreement and if someone has a different point of view then their posts are not welcome?

If that is not blocking free speech I don't know what is. Now I will agree whole heartedly if someone chimes in with a beligerent post with no reguard to peoples right to their own point of view then they should be removed, blocked or something. However I fully support everyone being allowed to express their point of view in any thread they choose so long as it is done in a tastefull, mature manner. That is a healthy discussion.:)

16. Tennessee Slim

At least we agree on that point.

Sorry, that was too easy. I should be ashamed. ;1

17. Don At PC

Great sence of humor. ;f ;z ;z ;z ;U ^c

18. freepatriot

freepatriot Retired GT Mod Moderator

Sounds a lot like censorship to me.

You want to be able to start a thread, and want to be able to block me from replying? Nice.

I may not agree with what a lot of the people on this board say, but I'll fight for their right to say it.