want open carry in Texas?

Discussion in 'Lone Star Glockers' started by JoshK, Feb 13, 2010.

1. JoshK

JoshK

2. txinvestigator

txinvestigator

This again? That petition is so full of BS it it a silly joke. I certainly am not attacking you JoshK, but there are lies in that, misleading statements and just made up stuff.

You are not going to see general open carry in Texas.

3. JoshK

JoshK

it never hurts to dream :)

4. dglockster

dglockster

"it never hurts to dream" is true. What does hurt is when a so-called petition contains "lies, misleading statements and made up stuff." That only provides legitimate fuel for the opposition.

5. JBnTX

JBnTX

"PLEASE enter your valid email address and click to let me see it so I can give you updates with this campaign. Your email address will NOT be shared with anyone else besides the author of the petition."

It sounds like a poorly written attempt to collect E-Mail addresses for
    mass spam.

6. JoshK

JoshK

so why has no one started a legitimate petition?

7. txinvestigator

txinvestigator

I can't imagine an online petition would mean anything. There is no method to veryify that there are not multiple "signatures" from the same individuals.

I am not a supporter of open carry. However, if you want it go about it like anything else. Contact your legislators. Start a grassroots campaign and a REAL petition with verifieable signatures. Go to gun shows, etc. I think it is a losing battle. Look at all of the restrictions we have NOW for conealed carry.

8. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

I already open carry in Texas on a regular basis - long gun open carry.

9. txinvestigator

txinvestigator

On a REGULAR basis, on your person out of your vehicle?

Where do you do this?

10. 98_1LE

98_1LE

I never saw the appeal to open carry, personally. I am not against it being legal necessarily, but given the choice would always choose the element of surprise. The lack of attention is also welcome. Don't want little kids pointing at the bank or mall cops freaking out.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  11. JNKIRK1974

JNKIRK1974

+1

If they legalize open carry, I would still conceal it. I feel it plays to your advantage to have it concealed.

12. Keoking

Keoking

-I would like to see open carry legalized, just so I won't have to be so worried about printing or exposing my concealed pistol.
    -The other week I was trading out car batteries at an auto parts store. While carrying the old battery into the store (2 hands due to no handle), I unknowingly yanked both my shirts up over an OWB G30. A pair of firefighters were walking behind me and jumped in front of me to open the door. The wife was behind all of use, and told me that they gave each other a wide eyed look.
    -I didn't commit a crime, but I don't like worrying that someone else won't see it that way. If I were suspicious looking, this could easily have gone sideways for me.

13. Taz

Taz

This is the ONLY reason why I would be willing to sign on to a real petition. The online stuff is nothing more than fluff. Not a fan of open carry as it paints bullseye on you just like the badge does a cop. I'd support it, but wouldnt recommend it. There is a LOT to be said for the element of surprise.

14. txinvestigator

txinvestigator

how so?

15. got_metal

got_metal

For anyone thats against open carry, here is an excellent article about open carry vs concealed so to speak. http://www.usacarry.com/forums/open-carry-discussion/7230-open-carry-argument.html

Im sure lots of you have read this at some point, but if you haven't, you should give it a read. Its not meant to change your mind or opinion, its just a great article that raises some very valid points about open carry.

16. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP Inactive/Banned

I signed that petition a few years ago if I recall.

I not against open carry and if it passed I'd still carry concealed. Like the others stated carrying concealed is an advantage. Yes open carry might deter a criminal if they see a gun present but still.

I'm for it since I believe the more gun laws we have in our favor the better. If people can act responsible while being able to open carry then some of the other restrictions could be removed.

17. GroovyChristian

GroovyChristian

Google your state representative, senator, and governor and send them a letter/email showing your support.

18. ray glock

ray glock

Sorry, no open carry for me. However, I would like for the CHL to be less restricted.

19. saltydog452

saltydog452

I won't open carry, but it would be kinda nice for this 'squishy' pear shaped gent to be a bit less concerned about a breeze, or short shirt tail.

Clothing mfgrs are reducing every square inch of material that is possible. The 'tail' seems to be the preferred place to save mat'l.

salty

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  20. PawDog

PawDog NRA Member

I'm from VA., where open carry is legal. Lived in GA., LA., NC, and AZ., where it is also legal.

I seldom open carried in VA, GA, LA., or NC, but did in AZ. in 1992-94. Never was an issue there for me, and it was common practice around Tucson where I lived then. No soccer moms screamed in fear or fainted, no one called the cops, no one ever paid any attention or even noticed, as open carry can and should be done discreetly.

When I moved to Texas in 1997, I was shocked to learn it wasn't legal here. I've carried concealed here, though no CCW permit was needed as I was a LEO. Since retiring last summer, I still carry, but the re-certification requirement under LEOSA has me considering getting my permit.

Given my personal experience living in several states where OC is legal, I don't understand the resistance and "fear" from the CCW community to OC in Texas. :dunno: