close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

want ads - search by state?

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by billinvegas, Sep 12, 2006.

1. billinvegas

billinvegas

Hi,

I've noticed that some of the ads don't list the state in which the seller is located...

I've tried to do a search, using a two letter postal code, but apparently it's too short of a string for the software..

is it possible to implement this?

I do know of another forum I frequent that even has a sticky in a "hometown" forum, that allows you to search the want ads for that state's two letter postal abbreviation...
    (NV in my case)

thanks! love this forum!

2. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Hello billinvegas,

Eric, the site owner, has decided not to allow searching for two-letter terms for technical reasons. In another thread on the subject, this is what he said about it:

"Indexing posts so that 2-digit searches can be made uses substantially more server resources than the 3-digit minimum. The database server cannot handle the extra load."

Also, for some reason, many sellers do not think it's important or desireable to put the state/location in their ad thread's title, and we do not force them to do so. For a long time, there was a Sticky at the top of the Want Ad forums asking sellers to do what you requested, and many STILL didn't do it. The result is simply less ad readers for their ad, and so less of a chance to sell their item, but for now it's their choice.

I know it can be annoying. Hope this helped to explain the situation.