close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wanna be a chief?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by blueiron, Jan 31, 2010.

1. blueiron

blueiron

Town shrugs off consultants, continues its quest for a chief

by Lisa Halverstadt - Jan. 31, 2010 12:00 AM

The Arizona Republic .

A Washington, D.C., consultant group says that the small community of Youngtown might be better off if it disbanded its Police Department.

Instead, Youngtown leaders decided to continue their search for a new police chief to head the northwest Valley town of 6,000 residents, saying that their own police force is a necessary and effective tradition.

Community identity, cost and population appear to determine whether cities or towns in the Phoenix area have their own police forces. Seven communities contract with the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office for public-safety services, including Queen Creek in the East Valley and Litchfield Park in the West Valley.

Youngtown's police force has been around for about five decades, and residents say they can't imagine their town without one.

The Youngtown Police Department is part of the community's culture, Mayor Mike LeVault said.

Vern Bedore has owned a Youngtown locksmith shop for more than 30 years. A sign featuring the town's popular police dog, Cisco, adorns the front window of his store.

Bedore recalled getting a call from Youngtown officers one night when he left his shop door unlocked. Police waited outside the store for 30 minutes while Bedore drove from his Phoenix home.

Bedore said he's not sure busy sheriff's deputies would have time for that courtesy.

Consultant group hired

A consultant group was hired by the town manager to recommend improvements to the 13-officer department after controversies led to the firing of the police chief in September.

The International City/County Management Association report concluded that the Youngtown force isn't equipped to handle major crimes and lacks enough officers to cover public safety for 24 hours.

Auditors said the department is made up of young officers who either stay only long enough to get jobs at bigger departments or who couldn't find work anywhere else.

"The town should examine whether its citizens are best served with a small, extremely limited agency costing $1.3 million annually or whether contracting services is more financially sound," the report said. "The United States has approximately 18,000 police agencies - far more per capita than any other country in the world."

Town Manager Lloyce Robinson said that the savings would be minimal; a county contract would cost about the same as it does now to run the department. And the Sheriff's Office assists when necessary, as it did when a body was dumped in Youngtown about a year ago.

Youngtown will interview four candidates for police chief this week.

Keeping costs down

Leaders of some small regional communities say that size is a key factor in deciding whether to operate a police force.

"Here, the population just frankly isn't enough unless the community wants to pay a pretty big chunk of tax to fund it," Gila Bend Town Manager Rick Buss said.

The town of 2,000 had its own police officers for more than 15 years until it could no longer afford them.

Buss said Gila Bend residents have occasional complaints about response times or crimes they don't feel are being given necessary attention.

The town's $389,064 annual contract with the Sheriff's Office states that about three deputies will regularly patrol Gila Bend's nearly 23 square miles.

To quell concerns, the town has asked residents whether more deputies should be assigned to Gila Bend. But that would take more taxpayer money.

"There's only a certain number of dollars around to provide a certain level of service" and residents may not want to pay more, Buss said.

Sometimes residents are willing.

Buss previously worked in Maricopa, which debuted its Police Department in 2007.

Independent auditors declared the city was ready for its own agency, and the community wanted a police force focused on its specific concerns, Buss said.

Service with a twist

Sometimes, whether a community has its own force just depends on what works.

Queen Creek has about 26,000 residents and has always relied on the county for public-safety service.

Sheriff's deputies patrol the town as part of an annual $4.1 million contract, with a Queen Creek twist.

The town purchased deputies' patrol vehicles and each features a "Town of Queen Creek" label, Town Manager John Kross said.

In annual community surveys, residents have overwhelmingly expressed their appreciation for deputies' work in Queen Creek, and crime has gone down in recent years, Kross said.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/01/31/20100131townpolice0131.html

2. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

I'd say a town of 6,000 people needs a police force. But I'm amazed that with 13 officers they have trouble covering it 24 hours a day. Seems like 2-3 a shift with enough extra to cover days off, vacation, etc.

As far as police services go, there's towns near me that have 500 residents and have their own police department, albeit not full service. Maybe the consultants should look into those places!

3. jpa

jpa CLM

The DC based consultants clearly want only one national police force. Because 18,000 law enforcement agencies nationwide is far too much local control. Next they'll be saying 1 national police force per country is too many and they should just be absorbed into the UN.

If the residents of that community want their own police department and want to pay taxes to adequately fund and equip that department, they should be able to.

If they need more officers, they should be able to pick up a few of Phoenix's layoffs....

4. deadday

deadday

Paging TBB.....TBB to the white courtesy phone please...

5. 4949shooter

4949shooter

Wow blueiron, if this position were open 4 years from now I might have taken a stab at it.

Seriously.

6. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

If that's true, I'd like to think I'd be qualified to be Chief. At 50, I'm probably too old to get a LEO position anywhere else. And you want the Chief to be older than the guys they supervise, right? If I have any questions running the department, I'll just post them here!

Randy

7. CAcop

CAcop

This reminds me of a town down near Santa Barbara called Carpenteria. They got tired of being ignored by the county for years so they incorporated and built a police and fire department. It ended up costing them way too much money so they disbanded and hired the SO.

8. blueiron

blueiron

In all seriousness, by the time you are ready to retire, the position will likely be open again.

Four of their last chiefs of police came from my agency and they usually last about 4 to 6 years before moving on or out. The last one was a real joke. She fired a detective with terminal cancer thinking that he couldn't do the job and that it would save the town money. The community rallied around him and pretty much ran her out of town.

Small town politics can be brutal.

9. 4949shooter

4949shooter

Sounds like a prospect.

How is the town? It is near some pretty nice places, Surprise, Queen Creek, etc.

10. blueiron

blueiron

The town is in the NW valley and surrounded by Sun City, El Mirage, Peoria, Surprise, and Glendale. Queen Creek is on the opposite side of the county.

It used to be one of those retirement cities that were once legal, in that one of the residents had to be 55 or older to live there full time. Children were only allowed to stay for a couple of months total.

A few lawsuits put an end to that and now you have mostly a retirement community with warrants, tweakers, illegals, and social misfits mixed in because of the low housing prices and the fact that they didn't mind living in a house where granny died in bed and wasn't discovered for about three weeks during the summer.

11. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Hell, had a guy worked for us less than a year and went to Ohio to be the chief of police in a one cop town.

12. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Where can I get an app? Heck, if the High School ASB President can be Chief in the city of Madrid, why can't I be the Chief in this city?

At least I won't be doing cage matches and putting dumb videos on the tube while in uniform. I also swear to never wear mismatched 5.11 gear as an uniform.

13. Orlando Eric

Orlando Eric

Screw that. Start your own County and vote yourself in as Sheriff. This way if sued and lose you can just appeal as a constitutional officer and tell them to go F themselves.

14. 4949shooter

4949shooter

Hmmmm.....thanks for the tips.

15. MarcDW

MarcDW MDW Guns Millennium Member

Currently there is a petition to close my PD down.
    The button line is, the Sheriff and/or State Police respond time sucks and there is no walk in!
    Respond time of cause matters if you have someone in front of your door trying to kick it in!
    I am positive that we will not close, but who knows....

16. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

You'll have to give up that waffen SS uniform.

:tongueout::rofl::rofl:

17. blueiron

blueiron

They do wear black; but the service jacket, shirt, and tie are not going to fly in the 117 degree heat.

18. 4949shooter

4949shooter

Haha. When I become chief we are gonna change the uniforms.

Tunics and Sam Browne shoulder straps will be the order of the day for the winter uniform. In black of course!

And red arm bands with the initials YPD. :rofl:

19. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

You can switch the black to the khaki of the SA and still honor your Germanic roots. The armband matches either one. The Reichsfuhrer himself wore the khaki uniform, and never the black one anyway.

20. blueiron

blueiron

Official photo of the Superintendent of the New Jersey State Police.

[​IMG]