Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend recently bought a Walther P99 AS .40. He spent almost 700 on it. We went to the range together and this was after he broke his gun in, it stove piped 3 times in 200 rounds. I carry a Glock 22 and I spent 577 out the door on it so far my Glock is more reliable. I'm more accurate than him but that's because I've been shooting longer.

·
Nice guy
1,460 Posts
From what I understand they are pretty much both equal in reliability. And your friend might have payed too much for his, go easy on the guy :)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The only Walther I own is a P22 and it ROCKS:rock:

Did the gun stove pipe when you shot it?

·
Registered
299 Posts
My Walther P99 AS has had exactly the same reliability as my Glock 17 and Glock 19. No failures, ever.

·
Registered
836 Posts
My Walther P99 AS has had exactly the same reliability as my Glock 17 and Glock 19. No failures, ever.
same... mine was only finicky when i bumpfired it, the action isnt fast enough and wasnt made for those shooting conditions
BTW
I paid 381 otd on mine, NIB

·
Registered
258 Posts
My G21SF, my G19, and my Walther P22 (in that order) are probably my three favorite pistols I own. No problems with any of them. I love the P22 for target practice, learning, and plinking, but I would still buy Glock over Walther if I had to choose.

·
Yeah, so what?
4,698 Posts
My friend recently bought a Walther P99 AS .40. He spent almost 700 on it. We went to the range together and this was after he broke his gun in, it stove piped 3 times in 200 rounds. I carry a Glock 22 and I spent 577 out the door on it so far my Glock is more reliable. I'm more accurate than him but that's because I've been shooting longer.

First, your bud got screwed on his purchase money wise.

Second, I have nearly a quarter million rounds between two of them, about 215K to be exact, and have yet to experience 3 stovepipes. They have been used constantly in classes for many years now. Anywhere from 300 to 1200 rounds depending on the class.

I suggest that your friend look to the ammo for the cause.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I would say either bad ammo or limp wristing or something. I have never seen a P99 with any more reliability issues than Glock. I prefer several things on the Glock more than the Walther, but as far as reliability goes, they are about the same. There will always be a few that will have some issues. Hell, I experienced a stovepipe or two on my old 2nd gen G19. My new G19 and G26 have both been flawless so far. To think that a gun will never have an issue is a bit rose-colored. One should often practice with a few dummy rounds to be prepared for the unforseeable need to clear a stoppage no matter what weapon they use.

The Walther does have great ergonomics. If I was forced to give up my Glocks for another brand, I would look at either the P99 or the M&P series.

·
BACONEER
1,344 Posts
I've put a little over 300 rds through my Walther and its has been perfect.
Of course I still suck, but im a noob :)

edit: Walther grip > Glock grip, by a lightyear

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's the ammo. I wasn't paying attention last time but he uses the ranges so called high quality reloads. I get the Magtech factory. I tried to tell him about reloads but he knows it all.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had a Glock 34 (9mm competition) and a P99 (original, 9mm).

The Walther was more comfortable, and more accurate.

The accuracy was due to the better trigger on the Walther. The comfort is due to the fact that Glock didn't put much thought into ergonomics. The Walther stovepiped a few times on cheap ammo during the first couple hundred rounds, and if the shooter limp-wristed after that.

The Glock stovepiped twice in the first couple hundred rounds with no limp-wristing, and my wife managed to stove-pipe it a couple times with limp-wristing after that.

In general, the Glock was slightly more reliable.

IMO - revolvers have superior reliability as home defense weapons for women, (generally-speaking) due to the limp-wristing and bad cocking habits they sometimes develop. (riding the slide, not pulling it back all the way, or not being strong enough to pull it back quickly enough)

·
Beretta Fan
174 Posts
Prices on the P99 have gone up and up! Even Budsgunshop.com is selling the P99 for $650.

I don't think $700 is far off from typical retail these days.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Prices on the P99 have gone up and up! Even Budsgunshop.com is selling the P99 for $650.

I don't think $700 is far off from typical retail these days.

When they first came out, they were about $800.

They're about $680 now that S&W is the US distributor. If you can settle for the DAO version, you can get one for $485 at Impact Guns:

http://www.impactguns.com/store/waltherp99.html

·
Registered
2,580 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think Walther made a hit when they offered a pistol in polymer which has the high-dollar Bobtail option which allows the user to change out the size to fit.

In a steel gun, that would be expensive.

While I agree the Glocks I own over the past 20 years have been remarkable applications of technology, I find that innovations from Steyr, S&W, Walther, and other makers greatly improved beyond the Glock "model-T" flavor. Grip size, palm swells, sight radius, trigger options, manual safeties, bore axis, and general gun shape have all been wonderful. While all of my Glocks from 1987 to present still work, they are just homely, flat slabs.

I think Glock is so locked into one way of manufacturing, and making huge profit margins with the basic shape, it is impossible for them to do anything else. Granted, they have made some huge presence with marketing and penetrating the LEO agency supply chain. They spent all their resources and energy to adjsut one platform. That is smart. However, it is boring. One basically has the same gun with a few inches lengthened here or there or chopped off. One can argue why mess with a proven platform?

I still say S&W is the most innovative and diverse firearms manufacturers out there. While all of their products have not been runway winners, they are solid products.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I still say S&W is the most innovative and diverse firearms manufacturers out there. While all of their products have not been runway winners, they are solid products.
Gunzz, I agree 100% with the rest of your post. Regarding this part though, I'd have to give the nod to Ruger or Beretta. They both make pistols, revolvers, rifles, and shotguns. (Ruger makes more revolvers, Beretta makes more shotguns)

Excellent analysis of the Glock business model.

·
UCantFixStupid
171 Posts
I've had (notice tense) a 31, a 32, and I now daily carry a P99 QA in 9mm. For me, it's the balls--MUCH better grip angle that points better, and dead reliable. I HATE getting into a 'this gun is better than that gun' pissing matches--I think one needs to decide what works best FOR THEM. For ME, I like the Walther.

YMMV, just my $.02, yadda-yadda-yadda.

·
Beretta Fan
174 Posts
The poor man's P99 is of course the SW99 with its Smith & Wesson manufactured slide and barrel. The P99 is the coolest looking.:cool:

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've had (notice tense) a 31, a 32, and I now daily carry a P99 QA in 9mm. For me, it's the balls--MUCH better grip angle that points better, and dead reliable. I HATE getting into a 'this gun is better than that gun' pissing matches--I think one needs to decide what works best FOR THEM. For ME, I like the Walther.

YMMV, just my $.02, yadda-yadda-yadda.
Exactly. I've had several Glocks, a Walther P99, and a couple Sig Sauers. My Sig P245 is the one I like the best so that's the one I carry, but I would be perfectly happy to recommend a Glock 19 or Walther P99 to someone else if that's what fit them best.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts