close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Walther PPS M2

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by border bandit32, Jul 17, 2017.

1. border bandit32

border bandit32

looking at this for my next single stak 9mm any opinions experiences appreciated

I have the G43 and Shield 40 and like them both also have a PM9
    So as you can tell I don't really need one just that this pistol seems to have a loyal following??

2. R_P_K_

R_P_K_

Can't speak to the m2. I have an m-1 version that I carry. I think I shoot it better than any handgun that I own.

grumpy1 likes this.

3. bac1023

bac1023

I prefer the original version, personally.

rfd339 and Glock40man like this.
  4. Glock40man

Glock40man

Agreed, they just feel better to me, and I shoot them well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

5. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I think most people would find the grip of the M2 feels better. The better texturing on the M2 doesn't matter to me as I put a Talon on it anyway. Most people are also going to prefer the American style mag release but I'm ok either way.

The PPS/PPS M2 certainly is a nice shooter. Should be for the weight.

Not sure the PPS will be a keeper for me long term. It's not small enough to replace my PM9 for pocket carry and as a belt gun I think the G26 is still my preferred. Companies are really missing out by not making something to compete with the PM9.

Squib308 likes this.
  6. bunk22

bunk22

Until recently, I had the PPS M2 and out of the box, I though it the best of the sub compacts. I little large for a sc but IMO, it excellent ergos, good trigger, etc, etc. Now I sold it as my G43 was made into the perfecr SC gun for me and rarely did I use my M2. Regardless, I for one, highly recommend it.

Squib308 likes this.
  7. grumpy1

grumpy1

I hate to say this as I love my Walther PPQ M1 and original PPS but as of right now I personally would be wary of buying a PPS M2. There is a large thread with pictures at the Walther Forum where more than a few members are having barrel peening problems with their PPS M2 and Walther customer support is not being responsive about the issue last I read.

Now with the $100 rebate the PPS M2 is a heck of a deal and one may never have the problem with the one they get and it does come with a lifetime warranty but again Walther seems to be ignoring the problem.

My original PPS is a fantastic pistol and I have not seen any reports of the same happening with it ever but they are very difficult to find new unless you want to buy from Earls for around the $600 he wants for one. Time to time one can find a nice used PPS.

This is the thread I am talking about.

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/pps/70650-pps-m2-barrel-peened-near-feed-ramp.html

8. grumpy1

grumpy1

For me also it is amazing at how good a shooter the original PPS is. Last time I was shooting it I ran the target out to 15 yards just for fun and 7 rounds in a 4 inch group shooting a round about every three seconds. A soft shooter that is right back on target for me too. Federal American Eagle 147 is a joy to shoot in it at the range. I CCW it with Federal HST 147 +P.

slamdunc likes this.
  9. OBG17

OBG17

I also recommend it since I have it. I sold my Shield 9 after I got the Shield 45 because I preferred the PPS M2 over it.

10. slamdunc

slamdunc JAFO

I don't have the M2, but my PPS is a fabulous firearm and although I hope to never have to use it, I think the warranty is great.

rfd339 and grumpy1 like this.
  11. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I have no peening so far on mine but only have a few hundred rounds. The trigger bar does come very very close to that point on the barrel, to the point where they machined out part of the barrel to accommodate it. I'm curious what the original PPS looks like.

Considering how many of these have been sold if it is a widespread problem we will be hearing about it. I will be keeping an eye on it. If there is a problem I'm sure Walther will fix it. They may be replacing a lot of barrels down the road if there is a real problem.

It amazes me wondering what engineers were thinking sometimes. This isn't Walther's first gun design.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  12. bunk22

bunk22

The problem with that is it is the internet and that means one or two instances now becomes the norm. Stuff happens, just like with the original PPS, earlier models having that little wire piece come out and lock the slide. Actual data, actual facts are hard to come buy. I had an original PPS that worked through thousands of rounds but that internet crap would regularly rear its ugly head. Honestly, I would buy without hesitation and confidence.

13. grumpy1

grumpy1

Uh no. There is a rather long thread with almost 500 replies now and several have reported the same problem with pictures. Walther's lack of concern to those that have the issue is troublesome. Too early to tell right now how wide spread the problem is. I provided the link to the thread and potential purchasers can read and decide for themselves. Walther ignored problems with the CCP for a long time too until they did the recall.

14. grumpy1

grumpy1

Yeah no kidding. The original PPS did not have this issue but somehow they were able to make a different version of the PPS that does, at least for more than a few PPS M2 owners. If you have not seen the issue by now then you probably will be GTG but I am sure you will monitor closely.

Phone picture of my PPS. Not best picture but maybe it will help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  15. R_P_K_

R_P_K_

Just checked my m-1 version. Not any wear whatsoever. Still black

16. checkyoursix

checkyoursix

I can't speak of the peening, but I would argue that eliminating the backstrap disabling feature alone gives a strong edge to the M2. It was an asinine feature for a carry gun, hard to understand how they put it in there. I own a recently purchased M2 and am perfectly happy with it.

Both versions shoot like bigger guns, very accurate and soft. I hope the peening issue is a fluke of a few pistols, the way modern machining goes a tool that isn't calibrated properly can turn out a few hundreds problem children in a day before being corrected.

To my eye, it's a quality pistol, I would place it at the top of the current Walther production with the P99.

zaitcev likes this.
  17. R_P_K_

R_P_K_

Been wanting a p99 full size forever. None available anywhere. May end up getting an mr9.

18. barth

barth six barrels

Have a Walther PPS M2 9mm.
    Actualy prefer and carry the cheaper Ruger LC9s Pro.
    Make sure you check one out.

45caldan likes this.
  19. PolymerWonder

PolymerWonder

I purchased my PPS M2 January of this year and have 1,500 rounds through it with no peening. I have been watching the thread on the Walther forum and I think people are blowing this way out of proportion.

checkyoursix likes this.
  20. checkyoursix

checkyoursix

Last night I couldn't sleep, and tried to find help in that thread. Not one poster reported any issues with the operation of their gun. There was one guy that reported peening, posted 80 times, called Walther, received a response, sent the gun to Walther, got it back in two weeks (yet people post here that their customer service is poor) with some filing done to it.

No failures of any kind, actual breakages, but I fell asleep towards the end and missed the end of the odyssey. Much ado about little or nothing I think.

redrick and PolymerWonder like this.