close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Walther PPK .32ACP

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Muncus Agruncus, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Muncus Agruncus

Muncus Agruncus

I am looking for a gun to carry for the summer, and have been interested in a PPK chambered in .32ACP. What do you think of the PPK in .32? Has it been reliable? How about the ammo, is the PPK finicky when it comes what it is feed? Whats the going price in your area for a PPK in .32 ACP? I haven't been able to locate on locally to handle or try out. Thanks

2. ctfireman

ctfireman

I didn't know they made it in anything besides .380

3. Berto

Berto woo woo

There are a couple PP's, not PPK in my locale chambered for .32acp.
    One is mid $300 range ( a Manhurin IIRC) and the other just over $4oo.
    Supposedly the .32acp Walthers were good shooters, and they don't have the snappy recoil the .380's can have.

4. SouthpawShootr

SouthpawShootr NRA Life Member

Walther USA (S&W) still lists it in .32, which was the original chambering for this design. I have a 1930s PPK that has been outstanding. I've shot it quite a bit due to the fact that a previous owner had it refinished by some ignorant monkey with a polishing wheel. It's been reliable and soft shooting compared to the .380 (Interarms) I had.

Usually, new production Walthers in this area run right around $500. .32s, when I see them (which isn't often) are usually slightly less (they don't move as fast). Older German guns are usually quite a bit more, but you might be able to find a French made one for a good price, though I doubt it would be properly throated for hollowpoints, so they may not do well reliability-wise.

5. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

I gave up .32 even for a mouse gun when I once got rim-lock.

6. SouthpawShootr

With a PPK? Haven't had that problem. I've read about it being almost epidemic on Kel-tecs though.

7. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

On a Tomcat - only had .380 in a PPK. But I gave up on all .32 auto then.

I wouldn't mind having one of the SW PPK/S - the extra 'tail' may have solved that darned slide bite.

8. SouthpawShootr

My Interarms drew blood when I let my grip ride too high. But the damned Tomcat I had.............:shocked:...........I still have scars on my hands from that. It actually took out a small chunk of skin. I dumped the Tomcat for a NAA Guardian 380.

9. 02limitedwj

02limitedwj

i have a ppk/s in .380acp and i love it...i carry it in the summer occasionally when i dont carry my lcp...ive never had slide bite with mine

10. 10mm Sonny

10mm Sonny

Hey, if it's good enough for 007...

11. Andrewsky

Andrewsky

Do not buy one made by S&W. You will be sorry.

12. glockman23

glockman23

I think to be strictly practical it's not worth the size and weight tradeoff to only shoot a .32.

On the other hand it's a classic gun, and if you'll carry it that's better than the 9mm you leave at home.

Just my opinion.

Seriously though, my PM9 is smaller and weighs less than a PPK and 9mm is head and shoulders above .32 even on it's worst day. I personally prefer a .32 over .380 though. The ballistics are pretty comparable and with .32 you get less recoil and usually an extra round or two over .380.

Use ball ammo.

13. Onmilo

Onmilo

PPKs are beginning to become priced so far above market average for self defense pistols that they are no longer a viable option.

You can occasionally find French made Manurhin PPK pistols for decent prices but the German made guns are way out there.

As stated AVOID the S&W versions, more trouble than joy.

14. 1gewehr

1gewehr

A bit dated, and I recommend that you shoot it a bit before buying it. The PPk usually manages to draw blood from me. As mentioned above, you can do better for the same price with a KelTec, Ruger, Taurus, etc and get a weapon in .380 or 9mm. While nobody doubts that a .32acp will kill, it is not regarded as a round with a good record at stopping fights.
    My Savage 1907 is about the same size and weight, but has a ten-round magazine and doesn't bite. It is also more tolerant of different loads than my PPk, but that may just be my individual guns.

15. Sgt127

Sgt127

I have a weakness for Walther PP's and PPK's. Originally chambered in .32, I think they run best in that caliber. They are incredibly accurate due to the fixed barrel design.

That said, they have been eclipsed in almost every way by modern design. A S&W 642..Kahr PM9...Seecamp...NAA Guardian....etc.

I have never had a .380 that was as reliable as a .32 in either PP or PPK. Yes, they have a tendency to bite the top of your hand. They are heavy, for what they are but, that makes them very shootable.

There has never been a Euro (French or German) PP series made in stainless. They were orginally offered in stainless by Interarms, made in the US. The upside of the current offering by S&W is you get the warranty.

[​IMG]

16. James Dean

James Dean

I would trust my Interarms Walther PPK 3.80 with my life. Small and powerful.

17. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

With the Kahr series, Rohrbaugh, PPS, and various other 9mm compacts out there, and a swarm of micro-.380s (Keltec, Ruger, Diamondback, Kahr).....the .32 PPk is an anachronism. It was small, handy and light in 1929. In 2010, it has been replaced. In something that size and weight, it'd better be a 9mm Para.

18. homeyclaus

homeyclaus

I have a stainless Clinton & Wesson PPK in .380. Don't get one in any caliber, for the following reasons:

- S&W firearms: lifetime warranty. Walther made by S&W: one year. What does that say?

- Stainless frame quality is the worst of any of the PP family. It's like they're made out of 420 stainless. Mine peens on the frame at the rear where it contacts the slide. It looks like a dog with metal teeth chewed on it.

- It takes a lot of debugging to make the firing pin hit hard enough to light all ammo.

- In .380 the design is pretty finnicky. There will be ammo makes it won't like.

Lastly, .32 ACP is anemic even compared to .380 ACP, which has less energy at the muzzle than a 9mm P does at 50m. If you're okay with that, that's fine as long as your choice is informed.

19. Onmilo

Onmilo

Been reading the charts have we??

Have someone shoot you in the right thigh with a .32 and in the left thigh with a .380.
    I guarantee you will not notice a difference in performance.
    The 9mm Makarov is considered "anemic" and it runs a bullet only 15 grains lighter and 60 feet per second slower than the average 9mm Luger round.

I also agree that .32s tend to run more reliably than .380s too.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  20. Andrewsky

Andrewsky

People would have a different mind about .380 if it were twice as cheap as 9mm rather than twice as expensive.