close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Walther P99c vis-a-vis Glock model 26

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by RickJZ, May 28, 2006.

1. RickJZ

RickJZ

I currently have an early Interarms import Walther P99 (hinged trigger). I fire it quite often, as I am particularly partial to Walther's. Functions great; no complaints. I also own a couple Glock model 26's. I have been pondering purchasing a P99c AS for quite some time. I would appreciate some comparison feed-back regarding the Walther and 26. What are your likes and dislikes between the two models?

2. Jake Starr

Jake Starr

Well I wish I could be of more help. But I too own an early Walther, hinged trigger, a '98 model. I liked it so well that I bought a newer '04 frame version and then an '04 compact. I really like the compact. It is a great shooter, as good as the full size models. I am sure that the Glocks are just fine but if you can find yourself an AS Compact you won't be sorry. Since you already have one it will make a great match.

3. uncut

uncut

Well I love my P99c...... but won't be of any help to you, in comparing the two.... I yet have not shot a Glock 26.....

But I can tell you one thing... the P99c is the $ well spent....

4. ShipWreck

ShipWreck Beretta 92 Nut!

I feel like i can recit ethis story in my sleep - I tell it all the time when this topic or a similiar one comes up (guess I needa save the text so I can paste it in :) )

Anyway, I carried a Glock 26 for 8 years. Carried it because of the durability of the finish, but was never very happy w/ the way I shot it. Then last fall, I discovered that the P99 also had a tennifer finish, and I rented one. Fell in love with it. Sold the G26 and got a Walther P99 compact w/ A/S trigger.

I shoot much better with it (not really a fan of the different QA trigger - be aware that there are 2 different triggers).

I will admit that the Walther has a bit more muzzle flip in 9mm than the Glock 26 does, but I shoot better w/ it.

After I got some holster wear on it, I had the slide hard chromed. Now, no marks on it after months of carry :)

I took it to the range on Fri, to compare it w/ my HK USP compact. The HK has less muzzle flip, but I still shoot the P99c a tiny bit better :)

Great gun!

Visit: http://www.handgunforum.net

5. jmoln

jmoln

I enjoy topics like this as I am also continually searching and experimenting for the handguns I enjoy and shoot well. I've gone thru a P99 (2000 model, AS trigger), G19 (3rd gen), and G26, all in 9mm. I prefer 124 grain bullet weight for practice and carry. I put some value on the ability to share magazines between full size and subcompact and on carry comfort. Here are some of my thoughts . . .
    - ergonomics of grip: clearly Walther
    - recoil / flip: Glock better, easier to hold on target
    - trigger: Walther has a crisper break but the reach of the Glock fit my hand better. By reach I mean not the beginning position but where my finger is at the end of the stroke. I find the Walther to be short and the Glock just right
    - accuracy: haven't tried the P99C but I am better with the G26 than I am with the G19. I attribute this to the dual-coil spring giving better recoil control. Having said that the P99C may give an improvement over the P99.
    - grip: with some kind of aftermarket pinky extension the G26 just fits my hand while the P99C seems a tad short, but then I've never shot one.
    - AS vs QA trigger: the traditional DA/SA has an advantage for safety in carry options, i.e. I'll carry a DAO revolver or a P99 AS in a bag loaded but will only chamber a cartridge in my Glock if it is going into a real holster. I know, the Glock trigger is safe but without a holster to protect the trigger guard I prefer the longer pull of the DA.
    - finally I'm thinking about getting another P99 (or possibly a HK P2000) for a full size and in the process will spend some time looking at their respective compact models.

6. Glockguy

Glockguy

The G26 and P99c are both highly accurate great shooting sub-compacts even at extreme distance.

The main difference to me is in the trigger. The P99c would more likely attract those wishing a heavier first trigger pull for carry. The reset of the P99c is also short and quick. If you want my opinion, your should keep your G26s, buy a P99c and have fun (I am very fond of each and believe either would serve to well-arm anyone in any typical handgun conflict!).

7. LH2

LH2

I don't think you can really go wrong, but you're already familiar with the P99, like it, and know how to field strip it, I'd stick with the Walther.

There are more holsters available for the Glock, and it's said to have less muzzle flip due to lower bore axis, but 9mm flip isn't going to be a big deal in the P99C either.

I chose the P99C AS because I like the versatility of the trigger, and the grip feels better in hand than the Glock does to me. I also don't really care for the Glock's need to have the trigger pulled to strip the weapon.

Let us know which way you go.

8. RickJZ

RickJZ

I placed an order for a P99 compact last Saturday. I ordered the A/S version. It should be in on Wednesday or Thursday. I had my eye on one for quite awhile; so I am excited to pick it up soon. S&W has an offer for a free magazine when a P99 is purchased up until July 31st. I will have to start looking for a holster for it. I am going to contact Kramer to see if they started producing holsters for the P99 c.

9. Soybomb

Soybomb Optimistic Fool

For what its worth you can use a fullsize holster for the compact if you don't mind an extra 1/2" of holster at the bottom. If you think you might ever get a fullsize, it might be good to buy them for the fullsize anyway.

10. LH2

LH2

I have a new Kramer belt slide for my P99C AS. They recently began making holsters for the P99C.

11. RickJZ

RickJZ

LH2, thanks for your reply to my post. What type of Kramer belt slide do you have for your P99c? How do you like it?

12. LH2

LH2

Kramer just calls it a Belt Scabbards and it's available in cowhide, or horsehide for an additional $15.

I love it. It holds the weapon very tight against the body to minimize printing, and I like the high ride + forward cant. It's my second Kramer - my first being a J-frame pocket holster in horsehide that really impressed me.

It'll take 2-3 weeks from the time you order.

P99C holsters are hard to come by. For example, I'm also a fan of High Noon Holsters, but they don't do the P99C.

Congrats on the new Walther!