Walther P22

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by FrancoRanch, Feb 7, 2010.

1. FrancoRanch

FrancoRanch

Had to switch forums,,,,,

After much discussion and going to about 5 different shops, my wife chose a Walther P22 for her first pistol.

Any suggestions? Hints? Extras to get her?

Thanks in Advance

2. opskmallory

opskmallory

Good choice. Just buy lots of ammo, because it's a "blast" to shoot (albeit a small one).

I no longer own mine. For some reason, my ex-wife decided she wanted it in the divorce. WTH? Mine was absolutely reliable. I had nearly a thousand rounds through mine, all but 100 of which were Federal bulk ammo from Wal-Mart. The other 100 were CCI mini-mags. Never had a single jam. My first time cleaning it wasn't until about 400 rounds either. I'm seriously looking into another one for me and my GF to shoot, but I'm almost afraid it won't be as perfect as the first.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010

3. The Habit

The Habit كافر

I bought a P22 for my daughter's first pistol. It's a *lot* of fun to shoot. Granted, it's not a tack driver but it has served as a great platform for my daughter to learn safety and marksmanship fundamentals. She has developed into to quite the good shooter with her P22. We feed it CCI Mini-mags almost exclusively since it did choke on some of the bulk ammo.

4. arclight610

arclight610

I'm actually looking into getting one as well. I teach alot of new shooters, but I don't have a .22 pistol. How much did you pay?

5. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Ditto, good choice, I have two of them. Mine are undoubtedly my most fired guns and have a ridiculous number of rounds through them. They have gotten lots of new shooters off to a good start without being painful to the hands, ears, or wallet. Mine are picky about ammo, so if you try it and find it's not reliable, don't get worried unless you've tried several different kinds of ammo and found what it likes. Buy a small box of every kind of ammo you can find and try them all. I have a list somewhere of what mine like and don't like that I can dig up and post, but just because my guns like a particular kind of ammo doesn't mean yours will. www.rimfirecentral.com has some good tips on basic mods to do that'll increase longevity and reliability. I removed the key'd safety and mag safety from mine, much easier to drop the hammer after inspecting the chamber to make sure it's unloaded now, and it still works fine. Kept the parts for reinstallation should I ever sell the guns, but I'm sure I'll wear them out myself. I wouldn't use them for SD work because they're .22LR(anemic and unreliable), but if that's all you have or all your wife is willing to carry, then carry on! Anything is better than nothing.

ETA: Mine are 100% reliable w/ their preferred flavor of lead.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  6. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

The pistol will jam a lot with ammo other than CCI mini mags. If you can get past that, its a great little pistol to learn how to shoot with.

Also where in central CA are you just out of curiosity?

7. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Go to www.rimfirecentral.com and look for the p22 bible if you have any problems.

I'm also seriously considering a p22 as a trainer for my girls. The good news is walther put out the PK380 which is a .380 locked breached gun that is the same size as the p22. It looks like a good good gun to step up into.

8. kooman

kooman

i love my p22, when i first got it it jammed alot but after 100 rounds or so it broke in nicely and now eats about anything i feed it.

9. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Mine work great with several kinds of bulk ammo. Mini-mags work great but certainly aren't required.

10. checkyoursix

checkyoursix

Mine used to be a bit finnicky on ammo, but a few thousands rounds later she has mellowed down. Bought a couple of bricks of Federal at Walmart, shot through 500 rds. without a single issue, and they are not even high velocity. This is a fun gun to shoot, I have two Walthers -the other is a PPS- and really like them both a lot.

11. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

I also like my P22. It eats anything I put in it, and has countless bulk-packs through it.

Despite the somewhat smallish grip and slide mounted safety (not my preference), I'm overall very impressed and pleased with the little gun. :)

12. glove

glove

+1 for the P-22 mine has never had a problem with the bulk stuff.
    Dave Z

13. FrancoRanch

FrancoRanch

California
    lol
    $470

14. FrancoRanch

FrancoRanch

Clovis, CA

15. FreakyBig

FreakyBig Massive Member

Mine jammed quite a bit. I tried different mags, working the hammer spring, and put more than enough rounds through it for break in. It seemed to be made like a cheap airsoft pistol chambered in .22lr. One of the few guns I'll never regret selling.

16. FrancoRanch

FrancoRanch

Thanks to all for your input/comments.

My wife is really excited.

17. Jake Starr

Jake Starr

I have had two of them for several years now...both a bit picky at first but now I have no problem with either of them...they are great for cheap training and introducing new shooters to the sport.
    Go for around $360 here....

18. bac1023

bac1023

Yeah, take it back.

The gun is a POS.

19. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

My God, they're $375 suggested Retail, and nobody pays that!
    I bought an AA .22 Conversion Kit for my daughter's Glock cheaper, and she gets to practice with her own gun.

20. sbhaven

sbhaven

Got one as well. Good little plinker with the right ammo. Mine seems to work fine with Remington GB's and CCI Mini Mags, anything else seems to cause issues. Also watch out on the magazines. The older A model magazines tend to cause misfeeds. I've got mostly B version mags and they all work fine, the one A version I have causes misfeeds constantly. The B magazine version has a longer slot on each side than the A version. Like others have said get the P22 Bible as it has lots of mods that will enhance the P22. Look at the trigger bar ear mods first since they ding up the slide quite a bit.

The A magazine versions with the shorter slot look like this:
    [​IMG]

The newer revised magazines (that are stamped with a B) that have the longer slots look like this:
    [​IMG]

I looked at the Walther red laser and didn't like it and went with the Viridian Green Laser instead. Works really well on the P22. :cool: