Walther P22 high round count

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Bilbo Bagins, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Anyone have a Walther P22 with near zero problems and a high round count.

My occasional problems with reliability and the reassembly issues with my Ruger MKIII is starting to annoy me :steamed:

2. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

ive got 1 that has several thousand, probably 5-10k,

and 1 that has a couple thousand ..

no real problems, like 1 out of 100 with the cheaper ammo wont fully cycle the slide, and maybe 1-2 out of 100 you have to pull the trigger twice to get it to fire

but those are ammo problems .. and not the gun

3. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

I have two that're somewhere north of 25k rounds each. They're easily my most fired guns, and going through 1,500 rounds in a day of shooting is about standard. As long as they're eating their preferred ammo, they still do fine. Recently replaced the extractor on one, can't remember which. After some initial tweaking, any problems I've had have been ammo related, switch them to ammo they like and they're 100%.

4. bac1023

bac1023

I'd like to say yes, but mine is finicky with ammo.

5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

That's why mine went bye-bye and got replaced by a Ruger 22/45 MkII.:supergrin:

I meant the P22 that got replaced by the 22/45 MkII, that is. The 22/45 MkIII is still there.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  6. ronin.45

ronin.45

When these came out they sold like hot cakes. I must have moved about 20 of them in our small shop. Over the next year we started having them come back. Most of them beat themselves to death after about a case of ammo(5000). If your Mk III is having problems try to find a Mk II before they are all gone.

7. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

I heard the newer ones are better. You would be much better off with a AA conversion kit for your Glock, assuming you have one.

Also the Ruger 22/45s are good too.

8. tjpet

tjpet

Have about 30,000+ through mine. Bulk ammo will have the odd misfire but, as already stated, that's the ammo's fault. The key seems to keep the gun properly lubed. Friends who've had problems with theirs had most disappear after a good lubing.

For my money I'd get a Sig Mosquito. Fits an adult male's hand better and reliability/accuracy is on a par with the P22.

For sheer accuracy I'd get a heavy barrel Browning Buckmark. Have a Field model with over 100,000 rounds through it. Bought it when the BM first came out around 1991. Except for going through 4 flatsprings which power the mag release it's been trouble-free for almost 20 years (BTW, after contacting Browning for a new mag spring after wearing out 2 they sent me 4 extras "just in case.")

9. Liquid

Liquid

mine jams every other mag. granted i am using cheap bulk ammo. however my gsg eats it fine.

10. Billet

Billet

Mine made it to about 7,000 rounds before the slide cracked. S&W replaced it, then the hammer spring broke soon after. I think the key to longevity with the P22 is to find the weakest ammo that will reliably cycle the slide, then stick with it. CCI Stingers and Remmington Golden Bullets were a little too peppy for mine, which led to its demise. My Buck Marks have been much more durable.

11. hatidua

hatidua

I can't imagine the patience that must be necessary to keep a gun that jams at all, much less that often.

12. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I'm sorry but those two items are NOT bragging rights.

13. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

You know what, I bought a MkIII simply because so many people like you on the forums said The MKIII rules and the Sig Mosquito and the Walter P22 is garbage.

My MKIII is NOT reliable, even with CCI ammo and I need this to reassemble it.
    [​IMG]

14. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

A couple jams in the lifetime of the gun would be fine, but otherwise I agree. If my P22's behaved like that, they'd be gone too.

If your P22 doesn't work on one kind of bulk ammo, keep looking. Mine like several kinds of bulk ammo but won't touch others.

FYI, CCI does not recommend Stingers in the P22, something about the longer case length and shorter bullet of the Stinger and the chamber in the P22. CCI recommends Velocitors instead, which have normal dimensions.

15. Liquid

Liquid

ill try different ammo

16. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I bought my MKII about a year or two before the MKIII came out and boy am I glad I did. They only changed a few things on the MKIII but what they changed just rubbed me the wrong way.

My P22 has actually been very reliable for me. If you're having problems with a MKIII I'd contact Ruger and get them to make things right.

Good luck!:)

-Emt1581

17. XDRoX

XDRoX

If I shoot CCI in my P22 it functions 100%, but I like to shoot cheap walmart bulk in it.
    First 100 rounds probably 25 jams.
    Next 100 rounds probably 20 jams.
    Next 100 rounds probably 15 jams.
    Next 100 rounds probably 10 jams.
    Next 100 rounds probably 5 jams.
    Last 100 rounds = zeros problems:rock:
    You just have to be patient with it, or do the mods in the P22 bible, which should fix any problem that the gun may have.

And run it wet.