Walmart Pricing

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by mrmedina, Jun 18, 2016.

1. mrmedina

mrmedina NRA Member

The local temp with 100 degrees today. So shopping at 0615 hours at WM, I was snooping at the Ammo Cabinet. I saw these two, it was $15.44 before tax per box I couldn't pass
    up a good value, I saved $6.00 per box, from other sporting goods shops. Alas it was the only two boxes,
    IMG_1662.JPG
    IMG_1663.JPG

fnfalman and Paul53 like this.
  2. Kalmah

Kalmah Supreme Member

3. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

4. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Walmart is expensive for most ammo now. It used to be, a decade ago and maybe a little more recently, that Walmart was THE place to go for inexpensive pistol FMJ range ammo...like the venerable WWB 9mm 115gr FMJ, for example. It was the best price you could get factory new brass 9mm for (and the .40/.45 were also well priced), if not really close to the best price, and you didn't have to buy case quantities (in 2006 it was $10.34/100 9mm WWB and it went UP to that price)...

...but these days Walmart is expensive. Perfecta, which IIRC has plated bullets and not jacketed, and runs dirty with a lot of muzzle flash, is one of the only good prices they have. Maybe Aluminum case Federal sometimes. That's about it.

5. First shot

First shot

My local Walmart has me, for the most part, buying Federal Aluminum casings. WWB, is expensive as is all their brass ammo.

6. FCastle88

FCastle88

I don't know about the bullets, but I have read more than a few reports of the Perfecta ammo being dirty and somewhat weak loaded. As well as rather inaccurate. Guess good enough for range ammo but in most calibers wouldn't be my first choice, even in it's price range. Though IIRC the .380 is pretty cheap.

The only decently priced ammo I've seen at Walmart in probably 3-4 years now was the ZQI 7.62, 5.56, and 9MM when they stopped carrying it and marked it down quite a bit. And the aforementioned Perfecta .380. Otherwise much better prices online, even with shipping.

7. OMCHamlin

OMCHamlin

The dumbasses at my local WalMart had Remington white box 50 count .44 Mag 240 JHPs at $17.44 a box. Wrong? You bet. Did I buy two? Damn skippy...

8. 2afreedom

2afreedom

If you can afford it, buy a full case online. You will save money over the Wally price, especially if you get free shipping and don't have to pay sales tax. I just got some steel-cased .223 for $220/thousand delivered to my driveway. You can't do that, even at Walmart.

9. Robot Devil

Robot Devil

I just today took my first trip to Walmart for purposes of ammo shopping, I was pleasantly surprised. I'm relatively new to shooting but I've been looking around at ammo prices online quite a lot recently and Walmart's prices don't seem too bad to me. They have 200 round boxes of Winchester white 9mm for $47 and change so I snapped up 800 rounds worth. I also grabbed 3x 100 round boxes of Winchester white .380 auto at around $34 and change each, a grand total of around $300 with PA tax which sounds very fair to me for what is considered a decent brand of FMJ range ammo.

10. Dominator

Dominator

Good find, I am picking up Perfecta 9mm for $9.78 per box of 50 from Wally world.

11. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Well, WWB doesn't have the same reputation it used to. Winchester in general seems to have poor quality control and even worse customer service/they don't give a ****. Their move of a lot of production out of IL and to MS to save money is often blamed.

It should work fine for range/practice though.

12. Lt Scott 14

Lt Scott 14

Been using Perfecta for my G19 and G21. No issues. I like Federal, and Winchester W/Box also does well in my guns. Same feeds for my 1911A Rock Island. My shooting distance is around 7-10 yds, and occasional 25 yds. All do well if I do my part.

13. Robot Devil

Robot Devil

I'll have a look out for Perfecta next time I'm there. Are they brass? As my range won't allow steel/aluminum casings.

14. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

They don't allow aluminum case? That is really bad on their part. Cheap. They must want to recycle the brass and not have to sort it or pay a mixed rate or something...it's normal for some indoor ranges not to allow anything with bi-metal or steel clad JACKET because of the interaction with the backstop, which is often (but not always) associated with steel case ammo...but not allowing aluminum case...what the hell

But anyway yes it's a brass case and an all copper bullet covering (I think it's plated, not jacketed) so it should be perfectly fine and allowable anywhere. It is dirty and flashy but it works and is cheap.

15. Robot Devil

Robot Devil

I assume they don't allow Aluminum anyway, they have a sign on every shooting stall and on the main door saying "no Wolf or Blazer ammo" when I asked why they said it's because they aren't brass casing. As you said I assume it is because they collect and sell the brass and don't want it mixed.

I'll be at the range on Sunday anyway giving the WWB a workout, I've heard mostly positive reviews. I could be swinging past Walmart more often if this is the case.

16. Steve in Az

Steve in Az Walther PPQ

I bought 2 boxes of the exact same ammo at my local Walmart. Great price, I need to get some more.

17. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

I am glad that I still have a Dillon 550.

cougar_ml likes this.
  18. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Perfecta is crap ammo. Please pass the words into your friends.

I will be the sacrificial lamb and buy all those bad ammo to save your guns from these Italian junks.

19. mastrbloata

mastrbloata

Today being August 24th, I just saw this stuff again for the first time in say, two months? I also grabbed 2 boxes at $15.44 a piece in Central Whorida. I feared it was gone forever.

20. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

The 9mm Perfecta is a true FMJ, not washed or plated like a lot of the target FMJ out there.

It is made in Italy by Fiocchi and imported by Tula. It is cheap in price but not cheap in quality.