Walmart ammo clearance starts today!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Z71bill, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Clips N Glock

Clips N Glock

I just stopped by my local wallyworld and they said that store wouldn't be putting anything on clearance. Still picked up 100 rounds of federal 9mm for 16 bucks and a box of federal syntech 40 for 13 bucks.

2. tpw108

tpw108

Maybe they're only clearancing the evil ammo in markets where sales were slow? So, if a particular store has always done a brisk business in 5.56x45, the manager has the option, knowing it'll sell fine without discounts

nrajeff likes this.

3. Clips N Glock

Clips N Glock

I live in a fairly large city so that could be true, but damn they're pretty well stocked. Considering my walmart hasn't gotten a shipment of ammo in months tells me it's going to take them a long time to sell without it going on clearance.

I thought they pulled everything off the shelves, but I went to get some motor oil a few weeks ago and stopped by the ammo counter and it was stocked. I wonder how many people had the same mindset as me, so no one is even going there for ammo. Or they hate walmart now like a lot of gun owners.

4. unit1069

unit1069

Wal-Mart's misguided policy doesn't affect me. I've only purchased ammo there when I've really been in a pinch for range ammo. Bass Pro has the same range ammo for the same price and I normally pick up sufficient range ammo when I buy the premium JHP self-defense ammo from Internet outlets. The online ammo dealers offer a far greater array of products, both JHP and FMJ.

nrajeff likes this.
  5. Z71bill

Z71bill

Not to get too far out in the weeds --

But when something really bad happens at a company - the employees, owners, customers and community expect the CEO do something.

Now I have never had a gunman come into a business I was responsible for and kill 22 people - nothing even close -

But I have had a few really bad things happen - where customers, government, employees and the owners expected me to handle it - and I know first hand how it feels when everyone is looking at you to DO SOMETHING. This is even more true when there is no real solution to the problem.

Walmart CEO was in this spot - doing nothing at this point - or even worse saying it is not our (my) fault would have resulted in him being fired.

---------------

Profit - yes I agree -- but in a different way

How much did WM lose when their store was shot up?

Not just the direct cost - but the intangible -

Maybe a few million people that would have gone shopping at a WM didn't because they didn't want to be shot? Why risk it - let just use Amazon.

How disruptive would it be to business when hordes of protesters start showing up at stores demanding action?

How much does WM make off ammo and gun sales VS these costs and lost profit?

I think WM made a business decision - one of those hard ones where you pick the choice where you don't win - but lose the least.

WM still sells cigarettes - they do way more harm than guns - if they really just cared about saving lives they would stop selling tobacco.

But the headline risk from tobacco is very low - people are not going to boycott WM if they sell Marlboro cigarettes.

IDN - maybe I have it wrong and WM is just anti gun -- but I think it is more about calculating what path is going to make them the most $ or maybe cost them the fewest amount of lost sales revenue.

6. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Should executives be shown that ammo sales are profitable, or should they be encouraged to get out of the ammo business?
    Did the Alamo defenders, who followed those feelings, achieve their goals or just virtue-signal?

B C likes this.
  7. DAKA

DAKA

Ammo probably is not a high profit item at Walmart, so easy to stop sales...
    I'm sure that there is a decision made, least profit/customers lost....kinda' thing

Z71bill likes this.
  8. speedway

speedway

9. ChuteTheMall

No, if ammo is profitable at all, then 20% of the entire ammo market is significant; especially with Walmart's buying power and distribution system.
    Imagine, one out of every five rounds fired. No mail order dealer can come close.

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/03/7571...on-sales-calls-for-stronger-background-checks

nrajeff and B C like this.
  10. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

waiting for 450 bm to go on sale

11. Z71bill

Z71bill

Yes - I agree - it was a business decision.

The other thing - if I can put it in general broad terms -

the folks that are saying WM should not do what they are doing - would be doing similar things if they were the CEO - or it it was their family business.

It is easy to take the position that a company should just keep selling guns and ammo no matter what this does to your business - when it is not costing you any $$.

Sure I wish WM would have figured out a way to keep selling everything - but I at least understand that ammo and guns are a really small % of their business - like .01% (.0001) maybe IDN - but it is certainly a small amount VS their other items.

A company like Dicks that is in the sporting good business - IMHO they messed up and in the long run they will be hurt and maybe (hopefully) go bankrupt.

Walmart - may in fact be better off in the long run with less exposure to guns and ammo.

12. ChuteTheMall

I remember looking at guns at Montgomery Wards and Western Auto, and my first rifle came from Sears and I bought my first handgun from Woolco. All are out of the firearm business now, and most are out of business entirely.
    Imagine if mail order sales were prohibited, and your LGS had a monopoly on your ammo.

13. DAKA

DAKA

I remember my dad buying a 22 rifle for my brother from SEARS ROEBUCK in Peekskill NY, about 1948....My uncle had given me a Winchester (69 ?) and my brother made such fuss that dad bought him short a single shot rifle, I don't remember what make.but it had to be loaded and cocked before every round.
    I can still picture the store....70 + years later....I'm sure the area has changed

Intolerant likes this.
  14. Intolerant

Intolerant

The sporting goods section is the only department keeping our walmart afloat. This came right from the store managers mouth. He said that when the first news of walmart not selling ammo anymore, by the end of the following week, upper management showed up to his store to see why the sales numbers wern`t being hit.

As of right now, i stopped in there last night, no "clearance" prices on ANY ammo (or guns). And this is a walmart store that stopped selling firearms a long time ago. They barely had much in the way of ammo... very few 22cal rimfire, and some 12 and 20 and 410ga ammo.

Recently in the last year, they brought the firearms back in, built two brand new isles just for guns and ammo, and filled every inch of the isles. So i talked to the store manager again, and he said, they are still receiving the normal shipments of guns AND ammo, even the "evil ammo". He also said, no messages came down from upper management that they will have any clearance prices either. I think why we`re seeing this different across the nation, i think it has something to do with the areas of what store is doing what, per management decisions.

Hate on walmart all you want, but its either i buy my range ammo at walmart, or pay the local gunshops their inflated prices. I cant buy ammo online either, it is illegal to buy ammo online and have it shipped to me where i live. It has to be shipped to an FFL dealer. The dealers here will NOT let anyone have their ammo shipped in to their stores. It pisses them off because you`re not buying THEIR ammo, so they wont do it. And a friend of mine who has a gunshop says, as soon as the ammo data base is enacted, thats more hassle for the dealers here. So he told me they dont even wanna go down that path, its to much for him to deal with. I can`t blame him.

So when and IF, my walmart stops selling "evil ammo", my savings stop as well. At that point, the reloading bench will get busier. I not only have MY hobby to feed, my wife has the same hobby as well. Not entirely a bad thing i guess, until this blue state stops us from buying reloading components. And what will happen when they decide to tax the ammo, or mandate licensing to even own the components. I bet some of you will really wish you could go to your local walmart to buy some cheap ass ammo.

15. Z71bill

Z71bill

I still have my first gun - a 20 gauge single shot my dad bought me after I swept the floor of his small business for a year.

It say Montgomery Ward Western Field right on it - but it is really a Savage SB-100B

Not my gun - but it is just like mine
    upload_2019-11-7_10-24-23.jpeg

But you can't believe these places went out of business because they stopped selling guns?

FullClip likes this.
  16. UNIT 6639

UNIT 6639

Yep I have asked multiple people to call the guy with the key, I have even called the store from my cell phone while in the sporting goods section, that worked once.....it’s cool I can get it somewhere else

17. nrajeff

nrajeff

Bill, you made some good points and stated them well. I just have a few comments.

Yes, obviously.

There are times when doing nothing is the correct choice, because any other choice is worse.

Time, and financial statements, will tell if his choice was a sound one for the company.

But the company is losing $10,000 every year just from my decision to buy my groceries elsewhere. I didn't even buy guns and ammo from WalMart. So their revenue loss isn't from the guns and ammo that I won't be buying from them--it's from the food, clothes, auto parts, and pharmacy items I won't be buying from them.

The problem with Corporate's logic is that some psycho can still do that--shoot up a WalMart--next week or next month or next year, using guns and ammo that he bought at Gander or Rural King or that he made on his Rock Chucker. And lawsuits will happen ("Why didn't they do more to protect their shoppers?") And shoppers will be afraid to shop at WalMart. So Corporate will have done NOTHING to "PREVENT this from ever happening again."

In my case, they didn't make anything from guns/ammo sales before their announcement, and they won't lose any revenue from me in that regard going into the future. But before, they made $100,000 in 10 years off me in grocery at al sales, and over the next 10 years, that's how much they are going to not get.

Intolerant likes this.
  18. Intolerant

Intolerant

Excellent responses, i wouldn`t have been able to say it any better! I agreed with all your responses! And your right, Bill made some good comments as well!

nrajeff likes this.
  19. nrajeff

nrajeff

Thanks, Intolerant.

20. picrthis

picrthis

I wouldn't give them a nickel.....let them eat it