close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Walmart (Again)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Zonny, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Zonny

Zonny

2. michael e

michael e

Around me I think they are needed. We have alot of plants and people working shift work.

3. clancy

clancy

If the stores are not open late at night, the thugs will just get up earlier.

4. Zonny

Zonny

I don't think that's true. The night staffing in a 24 hour store is sparse. The customer traffic is also. This allows the thugs to come in @ 2:30 AM and rob the employee walking across the front end with a shopping cart full of cash.

This crime certainly could have taken place @ 2:30 PM, but I don't believe it's as likely.

5. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

What did he hope to accomplish in following him? To give a mostly likely inaccurate statement about what kind of car the guy drove off in?

Instead he gets killed and the guy wasn't even driving. He kinda Darwined himself.

ETA: on topic I don't think anyone should have to suffer just because of others. Wal Mart is crowded enough in the day time as it is. Not that I every really go anymore and usually never at night.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  6. Calico Jack

Calico Jack NO QUARTER

7. Zonny

Zonny

:wavey:

Suffer? I'm talking about smart business practices.

Funny, stores were open approx. 12 hours per day for many years and no one starved. :dunno:

8. Zonny

Zonny

No...

9. Calico Jack

Calico Jack NO QUARTER

Don't know why I was thinking you said that once. Must have you confused with someone else.

Or I'm going crazy.:faint:

10. jpa

jpa CLM

I think 24 hr grocery and pharmacies are vital to our community in Las Vegas. We have people who work all hours of the day and night that need to get their shopping done and being able to do it at 0200 when you're wide awake because you work graves is convenient. I also think pharmacies need to be more accessible in the event you need some kind of medical supplies and don't need to wait 4 hours in a hospital ER for nothing.

Most stores of this type will never have the problems that you're referring to in this thread. The ones that do should prepare appropriately and take necessary precautions.

11. jp3975

jp3975

People are there all night to stock anyway. Employees are not "sparse."

Why not pay 2 checkers and a greeter $9 per hour to make more money? I guarantee you they make WAY more money than they lose. Otherwise they wouldnt do it.

People steal more during standard business hours anyway.

12. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

I work for a public utility. Our instructions are; no matter how large or valuable a theft may be (tools and/or equipment taken from a truck for example) do not confront anyone and risk getting hurt, or worse.

A fellow employee had a $5k air pack taken from his truck. The rule still applied, of course.

13. Ruggles

Ruggles

No one who works in a 24 hour Wal-Mart likes the 24 hours thing much either. Some of the 24 hr stores are no longer 24 hr stores, at least around here so I think the company is seeing the truth of this. . Nothing good happens in a Wal-Mart at 2:00 am IMO.

14. 4 glocks

4 glocks

The WM near me was open 24 hrs. now they close at 12am and open at 6 am. I am sure there is a reason for that.

15. Ruggles

Ruggles

Also keep in mind

"Each week, about 100 million customers, nearly one-third of the U.S. population, visit Walmart's U.S. stores"

Those are older numbers from 2009, with that many folks each week is it a surprise when something happens at a retail store it is a Wal-Mart?

16. GLOCK17DB9

GLOCK17DB9

I just got home from an unsuccessful shopping trip to Walmart in which I waited for a sales associate to help me in sporting goods for over a half hour. Hey they have the best prices for target ammo. around hear.:yawn: The place was a zoo. teenage punks running around basically causing destruction and no one to control them. I walked out but I'm sure I will be back tomorrow to get my f'ng ammo.:faint:

17. Zonny

Zonny

Exactly. I was T-boned by a drunk @ 3:30 AM and the EMT said the same thing to me. "Nothing good happens on the streets this time of night."

18. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

So a "knee jerk" reaction. Because one person decided to rob during the night they shouldn't be open at night? Banks are robbed often during days. Maybe they should only be open at night? :0

If the owners want to pay to be open at night, people want jobs, why not? As said they do have people THERE already. So why not make some money? They clearly make more $$ being open.

19. Ruggles

Ruggles

An average WM Supercenter will do $275,000 a day in sales, that is alot of items. The majority of items sold are restocked overnight. Having the store open slows down / hindrer that process so there is a argument that is would be more cost effective closing the store overnight. Some do indeed do enough business overnight to stay open, some do not.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  20. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

Are you suggesting they are forced by the government to close early? If so, I disagree. :shame: