close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wal-Mart stop sign?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by RichJ, Feb 26, 2010.

1. RichJ

RichJ

So you open a buisiness with a large parking lot, big enough that it gets a ton of traffic through it. You put up stop signs in front of the store and along the main drive ect.

Are these stops enforcable by LEO? The Department of Transportation is who directs traffic and places signs for the public, and local LEO enforces them. But what about parking lot? Can you get a ticket for running a stop sign in the Wal-Mart parking lot that they put up? What if they are having cirtain problems and decide to add or remove them at their own discresion. Do they need DOT approval?

2. Mongosafari

Mongosafari El diablo verde

It's private property the signs are only a suggestion.

3. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Be careful about the blanket statement "it is private property..."

In some States(Texas for example), you can cede part of your property, or it can be annexed, by a political subdivision thus making traffic regulation subject to statute.

For example, here in Bexar County Texas, we have a very large retail devolopment (Forum At Olympia Parkway) that looks like a very typical development. For whatever reason, the road that is WITHIN the devolpment was ceded and is a legal puplic road, it gets even stranger when the devolopment itself actuall exists within 3 cities limits. So you have 3 municipal PD's (as well as the county) who patrol this damned parking lot and enforce the Law.

So you can be on private property leaving a store in the parking lot driving to another store in the same parking lot but upon crossing the ceded part, you are in a municipal/county street.

On another note, you can always get trespassed/warning (depending again on your local laws) for not following the rules on private property. Then you could be subject to criminal liability.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  4. Steff1

Steff1

You can write a "reckless operation" ticket on private property.

5. hhb

hhb

In addition to the stop sign, there has to be an ordinance that says it's a violation to run that particular sign.

6. Rabbi

Again, it depends on "where" there is no charge of "reckless operation" in some places.

7. HandyMan Hugh

HandyMan Hugh NRA Life Member

Considering that there exists such a hodgepodge of laws and regulations, I'd be inclined to obey parking lot stop signs. It only costs me a couple of seconds of my time, and then I don't have to worry about getting cited.

8. digitalmike47

digitalmike47

:tongueout:
    Citizens arrest....citizens arrest.....

9. Rabbi

Most places dont allow for a "citizens arrest" for misdemeanors, much less a minor traffic misdemeanor.

10. michael88

michael88

i think you can get a ticket for just about anything and have it stick. i am one to stay cautious in a better safe than sorry situation.

11. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

You are no fun

:tongueout:

12. AAshooter

AAshooter

I would think in the case of an accident, the stop sign would come into play in deciding liability.

13. RichJ

RichJ

I thought about this the other day when I rolled very slowly through one on the very outskirts of the parking lot and I happened to see a cop. There was no one anywhere around and the closest parked car was half way across the lot. I looked both ways at the intersection and brake-checked but I did not come to a complete stop. I don't even think the cop was looking in my direction but it got me to thinking about if he could have given me a ticket.

So how about it LEO's, ticket or no ticket?

14. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

There was a large shopping center built near me that built a private road in front of it that extended a public road that used to be a dead end. At first there was a sign that said "private road" and no speed limit signs. Well the road became a popular road during rush hour. The owners of the shopping center put up some odd looking speed limit signs with 15 mph on them and added a bunch of speed bumps. They said they did this due to liability. A lot of complaints were made to the local government about this road. The government said they couldn't so anything about it but later the owners donated the road to the local government. The speed bumps were removed and the speed limit was set at 35 mph.

15. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Doesn't matter if it is private property. The answer to the specific question from the Op depends on state law. Some states, including Massachusetts, Maine and Montana have specific laws that all traffic and motor vehicle laws apply on public property, as well as any private property that is generally open to the public. So, a stop sign posted in a mall parking lot would be enforceable by the police, but a stop sign posted at the end of a private driveway might not be.

16. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

A wood shampoo then!

17. happy seal

happy seal

I saw a guy get pulled over in a parking lot after he blew the stop sign in front of a major grocery store . I was laughing. :rofl:

18. DriBak

DriBak GUNS UP Millennium Member

19. community

community Member

gee wizz. just stop at the stop sign and be polite.

20. maynardwix

maynardwix Notre Dame Fan!

:rofl: No kidding, but interesting question though.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010